JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

griffin.811

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Ready whenever

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 am

Completed PT 30 today. I saw a 3 point improvement and scored a 161. The first games section wasn't too hard but it was a buzzer-beater to finish. I got tripped up on car wash game when I missed a crucial rule inference. I think I'm going to warm up with a section of games before I take each preptest. Everything appears to stay relatively constant, with RC and LG making minor improvements. I scored the same on each LR section as last exam which is probably telling me something, that of which I do not know yet. Overall, I am happy with the progress I have made with only my 2nd preptest. I feel that I am getting stronger with RC and LG is getting closer to -0. I definitely need to tighten up on LR, so I'll probably cop Manhattan LR and go through it when I'm not drilling/review or taking preptests. I should be caught up when everyone resumes from spring, except I'll have 10 more tests under my belt! KEEP ON GRINDING JUNE TESTERS. I am always open to try new methods and advice from anyone so feel free.

PT 30 - 74 Raw - 161 Scaled
1 - LG -2
2 - LR -10
3 - RC -8
4 - LR -7

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:03 am

Guys that chat was horrible ,its like one of the guys talks to me and then goes and disappears for 7 minutes and i have to stay there and wait till he comes back thats how it was so i think i can`t do that.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 am

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:.

I just did PT 16 Game #3 for my first time and got them all correct in 10 minutes. I missed the inference that T is in slot 8 which Im confident is the only reason it took me a bit longer then it should have. For what its worth, I just used my 1 main diagram (didn't fill in the dual-possibilities of the remaining slots) and made sub-diagrams for 16 and 18

kendradh

Postby kendradh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 am

Finally feeling like this is all coming together. For about a month I was struggling with finding a study schedule that worked, and it felt like drilling and reading was going so slowly.
Now have a decent schedule I can stick to and have made it through half of LGB and LRB and several drilling bundles. PTs are next... hoping to get in on you all's review schedule at some point.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 am

Squintz805 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

I just did PT 16 Game #3 for my first time and got them all correct in 10 minutes. I missed the inference that T is in slot 8 which Im confident is the only reason it took me a bit longer then it should have. For what its worth, I just used my 1 main diagram (didn't fill in the dual-possibilities of the remaining slots) and made sub-diagrams for 16 and 18

tried it again with only a main diagram (like most of you did) and just a few hypo along the way. and got it down to 4 min (but maybe cuz i pretty much memorized the game.....uhhhh) thanks guys :) for the inputs. gonna try this game prob again..in the next few months.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 am

eliztudorr wrote:tried it again with only a main diagram (like most of you did) and just a few hypo along the way. and got it down to 4 min (but maybe cuz i pretty much memorized the game.....uhhhh) thanks guys :) for the inputs. gonna try this game prob again..in the next few months.

Don't be discouraged. What you should take away from this game is that whenever you have a relatively small number of variables, there are usually powerful inferences which limit the few remaining spaces to four or less. Numerical distributions are also very important in small variable games. In addition, you should expect max/min variable questions, number of open spaces, and a what rule would complete the game question, among the normal ones.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 am

Dreamt that I ran out of time while still on the second game in LG.

This test, man...

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am

weathercoins wrote:Dreamt that I ran out of time while still on the second game in LG.

This test, man...

LOL, I had similar dreams two years ago when I was studying my ass off for the MCAT.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Dreamt that I ran out of time while still on the second game in LG.

This test, man...

LOL, I had similar dreams two years ago when I was studying my ass off for the MCAT.

What made you forgo the Med School route? Just curious, I was in the same boat.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

tried it again with only a main diagram (like most of you did) and just a few hypo along the way. and got it down to 4 min (but maybe cuz i pretty much memorized the game.....uhhhh) thanks guys :) for the inputs. gonna try this game prob again..in the next few months.

Memorizing the game is a good thing! From now on when you see a similar game, you will be more inclined to automatically check for similar inferences. Of course this will help get your time closer to4min. Good work!

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Should I start reading the bible for my worst section first? I took an (untimed) diagnostic and scored pretty horribly on RC. LR was my best section followed by LG with a 1 point difference. I got a 155 though, so obviously there's a lot of work to do.

The guides seem kind of intimidating, not sure if I'd want to follow them from start to finish unless I don't see improvement by just working through the bibles and PTs.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey everyone--I'm considering retaking in June to see if I can get off a few waitlists and/or get more $$ from schools where I'm already in. Anybody else in the same boat?

Got a 167 in 2010 after taking the Princeton Review accelerated course. I'm on 3 WLs and I can smell one coming from Northwestern (my dream school).

I'm starting to study now, and I'm planning to register if I'm PT-ing at least in the low 170s in May.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Relatively slow weekend as far as studying goes. Looking to get back in the swing of things this week. Goal for today is to do at least 10 LG's and drill LR. Anyone know where they classify LG's by type using the Manhattan classification system?

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

@Cardozo — Cambridge is the only source I know of that sells bundles...the Q types are classified slightly differently, but I have been studying with Manhattan and drilling with Cambridge and it has been easy enough.

Has anyone taken a PT through Kaplan's free proctored service? I'm thinking of signing up but wondering if the tests are actual PTs/a PT other than the 2007 one that LSAC offers for free...thanks for the advice all!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:02 pm

ready4180 wrote:@Cardozo — Cambridge is the only source I know of that sells bundles...the Q types are classified slightly differently, but I have been studying with Manhattan and drilling with Cambridge and it has been easy enough.

Has anyone taken a PT through Kaplan's free proctored service? I'm thinking of signing up but wondering if the tests are actual PTs/a PT other than the 2007 one that LSAC offers for free...thanks for the advice all!

I was under the impression, and have been told by a few people,that the free PT was June 2007. Not 100% sure if it still is though, but it would make sense... If you've already taken June 2007 might be able to ask for alternative.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Just took PT 40. Only my second PT since the Oct. LSAT so I am pleased with the progress.

LR: -1
LG: -0
LR: -4
RC: -7

Raw: 89
Converted: 169

I missed the last two on my second LR and the last three on my RC. Timing seems to be a problem.

On another note, RC kills me every time. I missed 9 on my last PT (39). Not sure what to do about it.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Does anybody else feel that the "Difficult" RC passages from Cambridge LSAT are actually pretty easy? The wording in some of the passages is a bit tough, but the questions seem pretty easy.

I went -12 on RC in December and despite a proctor issue that shook me up during that particular section, I'm admittedly pretty weak when it comes to RC. I think before the test I was averaging -6 to -8.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:38 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just took PT 40. Only my second PT since the Oct. LSAT so I am pleased with the progress.

I missed the last two on my second LR and the last three on my RC. Timing seems to be a problem.

On another note, RC kills me every time. I missed 9 on my last PT (39). Not sure what to do about it.

RC is quite amorphous for me... some days I'm on, some days I'm off. I'd recommend doing some untimed sections for drilling to familiarize yourself with your approach and process for attacking the questions. Pick up a copy of the Manhattan RC guide if you haven't already. I found it more helpful than anything else. The kindle edition is only ten bucks, I believe. Think how legit your score would be if you could improve to a -2 or -3 consistently!

moopness

Postby moopness » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?

kendradh

Postby kendradh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Okay, just took my first PT (34). Was a little disappointed as I was scoring it, but was a bit pleasantly surprised when I looked up my scaled score. So, in the end I guess I'm fairly satisfied (but there's a lot more work to do).

Keep in mind I'm not really going for time yet, though I kept a stopwatch running to get an idea of where I'm at time-wise. I was able to complete RC in 35 minutes (on the nose, though, so still need to bring that down slightly), as well as the first LR. Second LR was pretty horrendous, both time-wise and score-wise. Couldn't keep track of time for LG because I got interrupted toward the end and had to come back to it later.

RC: -2
LR1: -4
LR2: -6 (yikes)
LG: -1

Raw: 88
Scaled: 170

Obviously need to focus on LR a lot more. It's by far my worst section. I hate that there are two sections of it because, besides it being my downfall, I get really fatigued on those questions. After a while I'm like, "shit, I don't care. Just guess and get this section over with."

Going back and looking at the ones I got wrong on LR, it was usually my second choice that was correct. But it's frustrating because on several of them, I couldn't see why the correct choice was any more correct than my first choice. Ugh... back to the grindstone.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Chambo wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Just took PT 40. Only my second PT since the Oct. LSAT so I am pleased with the progress.

RC is quite amorphous for me... some days I'm on, some days I'm off. I'd recommend doing some untimed sections for drilling to familiarize yourself with your approach and process for attacking the questions. Pick up a copy of the Manhattan RC guide if you haven't already. I found it more helpful than anything else. The kindle edition is only ten bucks, I believe. Think how legit your score would be if you could improve to a -2 or -3 consistently!

I definitely agree. I know that if I can just get my RC up then I could really make some waves with the T-14. I just got the PS Bible for RC. Is the Manhattan guide significantly better?

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm

moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?

NoodleyOne has a good guide for retakers under the TLS LSAT guides on this board. Other than that take a timed pt to see where you're at and go from there.

I'm retaking as well and just started going through the LR&LG Manhattan guides, drilling by type. I'm also completing a few RC passages a day. Good luck

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 pm

The-Specs wrote:
Chambo wrote:

I definitely agree. I know that if I can just get my RC up then I could really make some waves with the T-14. I just got the PS Bible for RC. Is the Manhattan guide significantly better?

I've never looked at the PS RC bible, so I can't say either way. It does seem that Manhatten is the most highly recommended book on here, though. I've heard that their approach is significantly different from others. There's also Voyager's guide. I think RC is the least formulaic section... most people end up working away from any one method into what works most for them. Some find notation very helpful, some find it too time-consuming to be worth it. Finding your own balance is key.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.

take a test cold and see which section you need to work on (since you took the test already meaning you are somewhat familiar?) and see which question type. and study them like there's no tmr. look at the materials you had. research on what you might need? (i don't know what you have so i cannot give you concrete suggestions). go from there. welcome!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”