JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Nicolena. wrote:Goal: Improve by score by at least 8 more points on the June LSAT.

FACTS:
I bought the MLSAT books last week and I am going through them. I feel like the information is really starting to make more sense. However, I am also starting Blackstone's prep course at the end of the month.

Also, I work a full time job. I work anywhere from 45-50 hrs a week. Note - Blackstone is about an hr away from my job.

I told my job I want to switch to part time in May ( a month before the test) and take off the whole week before my test.

Advice -----Am I going to confuse myself even more?


So a lot of people actually use more than one system. As you get further into your prep, you will come across things that make more sense to you. When that happens, you'll use that method instead of something you had previously learned.

The only thing I would caution you to do is make sure you have a solid grasp on one set of concepts before trying to learn another. I see it as trying to teach a young child to speak multiple languages. If done properly, you have a child that grows up multi lingual. If too many languages are introduced at once, the child may choose to speak very little.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 am

for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 am

eliztudorr wrote:for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss

If you have purchased Cambridge LG bundle by type, you can go ahead drill it.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 am

eliztudorr wrote:for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss


I have finished LGB and am just starting MLG. I'm testing skills by drilling the same set of games by type over and over. I watch the 7sage videos and read other explanations after each game and look for things that would improve my speed or inferences that I missed. I think watching someone go through the process helps. After seeing similar setups in multiple games, it gets more obvious that certain ones are always faster when I diagram out the options or jump right in to the questions.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss


I have finished LGB and am just starting MLG. I'm testing skills by drilling the same set of games by type over and over. I watch the 7sage videos and read other explanations after each game and look for things that would improve my speed or inferences that I missed. I think watching someone go through the process helps. After seeing similar setups in multiple games, it gets more obvious that certain ones are always faster when I diagram out the options or jump right in to the questions.


do you use the cambridge bundle as well?

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 am

eliztudorr wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss


I have finished LGB and am just starting MLG. I'm testing skills by drilling the same set of games by type over and over. I watch the 7sage videos and read other explanations after each game and look for things that would improve my speed or inferences that I missed. I think watching someone go through the process helps. After seeing similar setups in multiple games, it gets more obvious that certain ones are always faster when I diagram out the options or jump right in to the questions.


do you use the cambridge bundle as well?


I make my own bundles out of my PT PDFs.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:for those using MLSAT LG, there seem to not be too many LG practices right? how do you guys go about practicing? just want some ideas and suggestions thankssssss


I have finished LGB and am just starting MLG. I'm testing skills by drilling the same set of games by type over and over. I watch the 7sage videos and read other explanations after each game and look for things that would improve my speed or inferences that I missed. I think watching someone go through the process helps. After seeing similar setups in multiple games, it gets more obvious that certain ones are always faster when I diagram out the options or jump right in to the questions.


do you use the cambridge bundle as well?


I make my own bundles out of my PT PDFs.


i should do that too ><"

ready4180
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby ready4180 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 am

So I've been going through In/Out Grouping explanations on 7sage, and wrote down a cheat sheet for "either/or" and "not both" rules:

Either/Or
-In group has to have either A or B, out group cannot have both A and B.
-~A --> B
(if B is in, A is freed up to be in OR out)

Not Both
-The out group has to have AT LEAST one of A or B (could have both A and B)
-A --> ~B
(both cannot be in the in group together)
-type of question we need a Not Both answer for:
"Which one of the following pairs *of whatever* CANNOT be among the *variables* contained in the *in group*?"

Does this make sense? If you know of any Q types where I can be on the lookout for an easy "either/or" or "not both" answer, I'd appreciate it!

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

PT9 G2 is the only one that comes to mind right now.

Also I use a different notation, I think its simpler and may help. Try it if you'd like.

P cannot be with z: p ≠ z (not equal sign)

P or Z but not both: P/Z bnb, or I'll write P/Z then next to it put PZ in a box together and cross it out.

ready4180
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby ready4180 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

griffin.811 wrote:PT9 G2 is the only one that comes to mind right now.

Also I use a different notation, I think its simpler and may help. Try it if you'd like.

P cannot be with z: p ≠ z (not equal sign)

P or Z but not both: P/Z bnb, or I'll write P/Z then next to it put PZ in a box together and cross it out.


Thanks! I like the ≠ notation, I'll have to try it out in drills

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 pm

ready4180 wrote:So I've been going through In/Out Grouping explanations on 7sage, and wrote down a cheat sheet for "either/or" and "not both" rules:

Either/Or
-In group has to have either A or B, out group cannot have both A and B.
-~A --> B
(if B is in, A is freed up to be in OR out)

Not Both
-The out group has to have AT LEAST one of A or B (could have both A and B)
-A --> ~B
(both cannot be in the in group together)
-type of question we need a Not Both answer for:
"Which one of the following pairs *of whatever* CANNOT be among the *variables* contained in the *in group*?"

Does this make sense? If you know of any Q types where I can be on the lookout for an easy "either/or" or "not both" answer, I'd appreciate it!


Or is usually inclusive, meaning at least one or both (~A->B means you can still have both if A pops up).

Not both includes the possibility of neither. In some games you know you need exactly one of two elements, which would actually be saying A or B and not both A and B.

Your notation for the conditionals is correct.

Not both can also be written like ~A v ~B (not A or not B). I think of the "v" like a glass of water that spills over and washes away the first tilde like A -> ~B, and now it's your original conditional again.

0913djp
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby 0913djp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Totally hit or miss today on some basic and advanced linear games...drilled two thus far and finished both in under eight minutes...one I got -1, the other -4...yikes.

On average, should I be looking to do as many as possible per day or should I be repeating? I am thinking six a day.

lsatepicfail
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby lsatepicfail » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm probably special and I'm sure there is some kind of list out there, but what study materials do I need to prep for the June test?

I took the December 2011 LSAT and did not do well at all. I took the Powerscore full length course (twice) so I have all of the PS prep material that I need. I also have 2 of the books full of 10 prep tests each as well as some of the newer prep tests that were online for my PS class.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm

lsatepicfail wrote:I'm probably special and I'm sure there is some kind of list out there, but what study materials do I need to prep for the June test?

I took the December 2011 LSAT and did not do well at all. I took the Powerscore full length course (twice) so I have all of the PS prep material that I need. I also have 2 of the books full of 10 prep tests each as well as some of the newer prep tests that were online for my PS class.


Here's a list of what other people have done:

TLS1776 wrote:Here is a copy of that document:
People Who Did Exceptionally Well on the LSAT

You can get an idea of the techniques that I used just by looking at the bolded sections of that document, but I'll briefly mention a few that I found particularly helpful:

lsatepicfail
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby lsatepicfail » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

rebexness wrote:
lsatepicfail wrote:I'm probably special and I'm sure there is some kind of list out there, but what study materials do I need to prep for the June test?

I took the December 2011 LSAT and did not do well at all. I took the Powerscore full length course (twice) so I have all of the PS prep material that I need. I also have 2 of the books full of 10 prep tests each as well as some of the newer prep tests that were online for my PS class.


Dec 11 victim here as well.

It seems like the PS method didn't suit you well? Or were there other extenuating circumstances? You might try looking at the Manhattan books to see if they explain things any differently.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a combination of Pithypike and Noodleyones method, which is exactly what I'm doing.


I work full time so I never really had the time to devote to my prep. I took the Oct 2011 PS class then took the December 2011 test although I knew that I wasn't ready. Then I got back in at the April 2012 class with hopes of the June 2012 LSAT, but we got swamped at work and I was putting in 60 hours a week from April until September.

Life would be so much easier if I could just take a few months off!

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm back. I second the exercise addition a couple pages back. Today I'm drilling pretty hard, redoing Cambridge LGs, 100 difficult LRs, plus a couple RC sections. Tomorrow is PT 41. God it feels good to be at 100%.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I'm back. I second the exercise addition a couple pages back. Today I'm drilling pretty hard, redoing Cambridge LGs, 100 difficult LRs, plus a couple RC sections. Tomorrow is PT 41. God it feels good to be at 100%.


welcome back. that's quite a bit on your plate there...how many hours do you spend studying? i keep feeling like im not spending enough time....tho thats pretty much all i do when ever i have time.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

eliztudorr wrote:welcome back. that's quite a bit on your plate there...how many hours do you spend studying?


I spend less than thirty hours a week studying, usually less than twenty, always more than ten. I study until I lose focus, when I have time. But since I lose focus after about four hours, and I'm usually dicking around for an hour of that four, unless I'm doing a PT, I rarely get to everything I set out to do. But I'm feeling good about today.

eliztudorr wrote:i keep feeling like im not spending enough time....tho thats pretty much all i do when ever i have time.

You can only do so much. Don't sweat it.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:welcome back. that's quite a bit on your plate there...how many hours do you spend studying?


I spend less than thirty hours a week studying, usually less than twenty, always more than ten. I study until I lose focus, when I have time. But since I lose focus after about four hours, and I'm usually dicking around for an hour of that four, unless I'm doing a PT, I rarely get to everything I set out to do. But I'm feeling good about today.

eliztudorr wrote:i keep feeling like im not spending enough time....tho thats pretty much all i do when ever i have time.

You can only do so much. Don't sweat it.


glad you are feeling good about today. i think thats a big motivation booster.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Did basic ordering games from PT 19-38 again — this is my 3rd time through them. I saw these last in early January.

More a recreational activity at this point so I don't think I'll ever revisit, except for the ones that took 7+ mins.

PT19 G1, 4:40
PT23 G1, 4:26
PT24 G2, 3:57
PT26 G2, 6:14
PT27 G1, 6:52
PT27 G4, 5:10
PT28 G1, 4:37
PT30 G4, 5:08
PT31 G3, 4:55
PT32 G3, 7:26
PT34 G1, 7:06
PT34 G2, 4:10
PT34 G3, 7:04
PT35 G4, 4:13
PT37 G4, 4:52

User avatar
CanILive
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CanILive » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Was about to study... now watching the L.A. Cop situation.

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 pm

This was super helpful. THANK YOU!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
lsatepicfail wrote:I'm probably special and I'm sure there is some kind of list out there, but what study materials do I need to prep for the June test?

I took the December 2011 LSAT and did not do well at all. I took the Powerscore full length course (twice) so I have all of the PS prep material that I need. I also have 2 of the books full of 10 prep tests each as well as some of the newer prep tests that were online for my PS class.


Here's a list of what other people have done:

TLS1776 wrote:Here is a copy of that document:
People Who Did Exceptionally Well on the LSAT

You can get an idea of the techniques that I used just by looking at the bolded sections of that document, but I'll briefly mention a few that I found particularly helpful:

User avatar
CanILive
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CanILive » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Here's a list of what other people have done:

TLS1776 wrote:Here is a copy of that document:
People Who Did Exceptionally Well on the LSAT

You can get an idea of the techniques that I used just by looking at the bolded sections of that document, but I'll briefly mention a few that I found particularly helpful:


Thank you so much for this!

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 pm

For those of you keeping a log for LGs, can you look back, and post times for PT29 G2. 8:50 is the fastest I've been able to complete it error free.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, proteinshake and 4 guests