JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

shieldofachilles

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby shieldofachilles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm

weathercoins wrote:
shieldofachilles wrote:so i did a redo of pt 32 tonight..its been like 3/4 weeks since i last took it and was happy with the results. sure its false confidence but ill take it nonetheless. didnt remember the questions but still its a redo so ill take the score with a grain of salt. got a 172 so im happy for now lol. its my second time going through the 29-38 book, which ive found is really good for review. looking back at the old book and seeing the exact same mistakes is pretty eye opening.

Was it an improvement from last time? Were there any questions you got wrong this time but not last time?

Asking because I've considered going through PT's I took recently as well and doing them again, and wondered what the results would look like.

yea it was a ten point bump from last time...i dont know for sure what questions were the same that i got wrong cuz i called it a day an hour or two ago and watching the obligatory 3 hours of tv lol. basically the major change was in LR. lg was -1 both times so if i remember correctly the gains were mostly in lr but the questions wrong were exactly the fkin same (minus the questions right). ill pose tomorrow what the questions were from take one to take two.

as for how useful it is...dude i really think its a great way to hone in on exactly what ur messing up on. for example, noticed im having issues with causation arguments, regardless of the type, and super wordy conditional arguments (i remember one lr that was about what constitutes altruistic behavior and how no action can ever be altruistic...and another one about the consequences of an action justifying the action or some shit like that). sitting down and breaking apart the trends brought my lr average from -6/7 to -2 in the last 3 weeks. so basically im a big advocate of redoing, but with enough time in between, and less focus on cambridge. personally, came to the realization that cambridge sucks for me and doing sections over and over again was far more productive. not starting my pt schedule till mid/end march cuz i dun wanna run out of material when i have all of may off to do intensive study which was the initial reason for redoing pts. wasnt really thinking of the benefits of redoing aside from not burning through pts but there are more benefits than i thought.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 pm

weathercoins wrote:
ready4180 wrote:Does anyone know the PT# for the MLSAT 3rd edition game on page 369 (it's an in-out, about a filmmaker choosing songs)? I hope I'm not just overlooking it, but I can't find the number and I'd like to review it with 7Sage's method. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, it's not from a PT, but it's a Manhattan question. If you are looking for it without markings to redo, it's in "Set 2" of the "coached replays" at the end, on page 536.

Thanks! I'll check that out now.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
shieldofachilles wrote:so i did a redo of pt 32 tonight..its been like 3/4 weeks since i last took it and was happy with the results. sure its false confidence but ill take it nonetheless. didnt remember the questions but still its a redo so ill take the score with a grain of salt. got a 172 so im happy for now lol. its my second time going through the 29-38 book, which ive found is really good for review. looking back at the old book and seeing the exact same mistakes is pretty eye opening.

Was it an improvement from last time? Were there any questions you got wrong this time but not last time?

Asking because I've considered going through PT's I took recently as well and doing them again, and wondered what the results would look like.

yea it was a ten point bump from last time...i dont know for sure what questions were the same that i got wrong cuz i called it a day an hour or two ago and watching the obligatory 3 hours of tv lol. basically the major change was in LR. lg was -1 both times so if i remember correctly the gains were mostly in lr but the questions wrong were exactly the fkin same (minus the questions right). ill pose tomorrow what the questions were from take one to take two.

as for how useful it is...dude i really think its a great way to hone in on exactly what ur messing up on. for example, noticed im having issues with causation arguments, regardless of the type, and super wordy conditional arguments (i remember one lr that was about what constitutes altruistic behavior and how no action can ever be altruistic...and another one about the consequences of an action justifying the action or some shit like that). sitting down and breaking apart the trends brought my lr average from -6/7 to -2 in the last 3 weeks. so basically im a big advocate of redoing, but with enough time in between, and less focus on cambridge. personally, came to the realization that cambridge sucks for me and doing sections over and over again was far more productive. not starting my pt schedule till mid/end march cuz i dun wanna run out of material when i have all of may off to do intensive study which was the initial reason for redoing pts. wasnt really thinking of the benefits of redoing aside from not burning through pts but there are more benefits than i thought.

I think redoing is also useful for memorizing inferences and patterns, like the 7sage method:

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 pm

griffin.811 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Hey team, working on PT29 G2 right now, and this game is taking me much longer than I'd like to complete. If some of you have an opportunity, could you try it and post times. I did it the first time in 9:06, but got 2 wrong. Just did it again in 10:13, for -0.

Its one of the last games in the Cambridge "grouping defined fixed unbalanced games" packet

I'll check this one out later tonight - feeling sluggish right now. Also, when do you guys plan on taking PT41?

Thanks. I think PT41 is scheduled to be taken on the 15th by most (following DD schedule on pg.1). I imagine the review for that will be the following Sunday or so. Maybe the 17th? I'll probably take it Saturday, so I don't have to take it after work.

This was definitely a tough game. I did it 9 mins and went -0. I set it up with two groups (the mannequins) 1 and 2 and each row was a particular piece of clothing (hat, jacket, skirt, and tie). Since the 2nd mannequin had a navy skirt then the 1st mannequin can only have either a yellow or red skirt and then that further limits the possibilities for the 1st mannequin since neither of them can use all three colours. Also, for the jacket and hat slot I used Manhattan's "dot" method to help me recognize that the colour of the jacket had to be different from that of the hat ie) two dots for the jacket slot and one for the hat slot. This game does require more time than usual to get through so I wouldn't beat myself up over it. Annoying game for sure haha
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Working out makes me so sleepy and holds me back from studying. Uggg.....

bmore_md

Postby bmore_md » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Working out makes me so sleepy and holds me back from studying. Uggg.....

Opposite for me.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Hey team, working on PT29 G2 right now, and this game is taking me much longer than I'd like to complete. If some of you have an opportunity, could you try it and post times. I did it the first time in 9:06, but got 2 wrong. Just did it again in 10:13, for -0.

Its one of the last games in the Cambridge "grouping defined fixed unbalanced games" packet

I'll check this one out later tonight - feeling sluggish right now. Also, when do you guys plan on taking PT41?

Thanks. I think PT41 is scheduled to be taken on the 15th by most (following DD schedule on pg.1). I imagine the review for that will be the following Sunday or so. Maybe the 17th? I'll probably take it Saturday, so I don't have to take it after work.

This was definitely a tough game. I did it 9 mins and went -0. I set it up with two groups (the mannequins) 1 and 2 and each row was a particular piece of clothing (hat, jacket, skirt, and tie). Since the 2nd mannequin had a navy skirt then the 1st mannequin can only have either a yellow or red skirt and then that further limits the possibilities for the 1st mannequin since neither of them can use all three colours. Also, for the jacket and hat slot I used Manhattan's "dot" method to help me recognize that the colour of the jacket had to be different from that of the hat ie) two dots for the jacket slot and one for the hat slot. This game does require more time than usual to get through so I wouldn't beat myself up over it. Annoying game for sure haha

Good to know, thanks.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 am

ricekrispies wrote:If you guys had an $80 limit, what problem sets would you get from the Cambridge website? I was thinking the 410 Difficult Questions for LR, since that should, theoretically, contain all different types of LR problems. I also need some LG drilling material as well. Any suggestions?

Going to ask this again! What do you all think? The difficult LR problem pack and the complete LG pack?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 am

ricekrispies wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:If you guys had an $80 limit, what problem sets would you get from the Cambridge website? I was thinking the 410 Difficult Questions for LR, since that should, theoretically, contain all different types of LR problems. I also need some LG drilling material as well. Any suggestions?

Going to ask this again! What do you all think? The difficult LR problem pack and the complete LG pack?

I would argue narrow down to specific question types, e.g, parallels reasoning in LR, group in/out game in LG.

Spend that $80 wisely. You know you can sort if out by yourself if you check Cambridge website's classification info. Here is the link. http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/ ... fications/

Why not just try to drill a little bit more till you find out your weak spot.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Working out makes me so sleepy and holds me back from studying. Uggg.....

I've started to find a good balance between working out too much and just wanting to sleep or watch TV and not working out at all and feeling lazy. I run 1-3 miles and then do a moderate workout if I want to be the most alert to study.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Non-productive weekend other than making arrangements for a tutor. Fortunately I'm able to milk at least 5 hours a day during the week for LSATs. Back to work!

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 pm

bmore_md wrote:

Opposite for me.

You are probably not used to it yet. Give it time till your body is used to the excersice level, it will help.

The whole point of working out is to destress. If you study too much without moving around, it slows your circulation and that slows the oxygen that goes to your brain. Overall reduce your health and your productivity because your brain gets slow.

I'd suggest to just slowly build up the minutes u spend on working out. It will help I promise.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Kettlebell + Pull-Up Bar = Win.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Decided to join the party! Currently going through the Manhattan guides and drilling by type. I just finished Necessary assumption, but have to go over a few of my misses on the level 4 questions. Hopefully I can get up to speed and start taking some tests later this week.

Good luck

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:54 pm

rebexness wrote:LG are fun and it makes me not want to drill LR. blech.

I just got my LR Bible but don't know when the other two will arrive. Should I wait until I have all of them or would it not hurt to start reading the one I do have in earnest?

I've also registered for my first proctored diagnostic (which was postponed because of Nemo :x ). Would starting to study discount my diagnostic score?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:59 pm

rebexness wrote:
howlery wrote:
rebexness wrote:LG are fun and it makes me not want to drill LR. blech.

I just got my LR Bible but don't know when the other two will arrive. Should I wait until I have all of them or would it not hurt to start reading the one I do have in earnest?

I've also registered for my first proctored diagnostic (which was postponed because of Nemo :x ). Would starting to study discount my diagnostic score?

No need for a proctored diagnostic. Print off the June 2007 PT from the LSAC website, and download a Proctor App (or use the Manhattan website).

Take that, then begin studying the LR bible. You will want to put your results in the LSAT QA website.

Cool, I'll definitely do that. Should I still show up to the Kaplan exam and factor that in to my prep or would it be the same test from LSAC's website?

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Anyone else using an iPhone as their timer? It's frustrating that I can only set mine at 8 or 9 minutes. It's wack.

Anyways...printing off a ton of basic linear tonight for the next few days. I did some grouping, particularly those in the chapter three or four of the LG Powerscore Bible and really struggled so I should probably make sure I'm mastering the linear's before I get into grouping. I should be done the basic linear games theoretically by this weekend.

Any advice for grouping? Am I just reading too fast or is there any advice outside of the Powerscore chapter that I should be following?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 pm

is the Manhattan LG practice examples just tougher to do? i feel like im just constantly running my head into the wall....while practicing with the chapters. its frustrating because originally my problem with LG is just speed...now since im trying out the new methods im getting things wrong wrong wrong...:(

it kinda kills my confidence...is this just a phase? and inevitable while working through the book?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 pm

eliztudorr wrote:is the Manhattan LG practice examples just tougher to do? i feel like im just constantly running my head into the wall....while practicing with the chapters. its frustrating because originally my problem with LG is just speed...now since im trying out the new methods im getting things wrong wrong wrong...:(

it kinda kills my confidence...is this just a phase? and inevitable while working through the book?

FWIW, with a few exceptions, I had a lot more trouble with most of the Manhattan practice examples than with games from actual PT's. Same with their "try this question we wrote just for this game" at the end of games.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 pm

weathercoins wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:is the Manhattan LG practice examples just tougher to do? i feel like im just constantly running my head into the wall....while practicing with the chapters. its frustrating because originally my problem with LG is just speed...now since im trying out the new methods im getting things wrong wrong wrong...:(

FWIW, with a few exceptions, I had a lot more trouble with most of the Manhattan practice examples than with games from actual PT's. Same with their "try this question we wrote just for this game" at the end of games.

thanks for the info. i know right? i was getting worried...like WTF. did i get dumber? now i can proceed with less frustration. its probably designed this way to make sure we can handle the easier questions when we are done with the book.

im just gonna keep studying! good luck!!

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Non-productive weekend other than making arrangements for a tutor. Fortunately I'm able to milk at least 5 hours a day during the week for LSATs. Back to work!

bella who u tutorin with...i got a hunch we have the same tutor for some reason

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Goal: Improve by score by at least 8 more points on the June LSAT.

FACTS:
I bought the MLSAT books last week and I am going through them. I feel like the information is really starting to make more sense. However, I am also starting Blackstone's prep course at the end of the month.

Also, I work a full time job. I work anywhere from 45-50 hrs a week. Note - Blackstone is about an hr away from my job.

I told my job I want to switch to part time in May ( a month before the test) and take off the whole week before my test.

Advice -----Am I going to confuse myself even more?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”