JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Nicolena.

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Nicolena. » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I just got my MLSAT Books. How do you guys suggest I tackle this? Do you read the chapters together for each book?

OR do you focus on the first couple chapters of each book and then move to the other sections? Then, when you're finally familiar with the beginning chapters and the basics rotate books?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi all!

I'm taking today to go through all the LGs questions that I've gotten incorrect or have been unsure about, and comparing my method to those 7sage videos.

But I can't seem to find an explanation for PT9...would anyone be willing to write out how they did PT9-S3-G2? I got #12 incorrect (and I'm finding that these q types are a weakness of mine...for whatever reason I always usually get one less than the credited AC, gah). Thanks for the help!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm

ready4180 wrote:Hi all!

I'm taking today to go through all the LGs questions that I've gotten incorrect or have been unsure about, and comparing my method to those 7sage videos.

But I can't seem to find an explanation for PT9...would anyone be willing to write out how they did PT9-S3-G2? I got #12 incorrect (and I'm finding that these q types are a weakness of mine...for whatever reason I always usually get one less than the credited AC, gah). Thanks for the help!

Write out all the options. You know you can have J or K, and with each of those, you can have N or P. Make all four.
JNLM
KNL _
JPLM
KP _ _

You only have two options because of ~P, but one could be KNLM or KNLQ, so you actually have three different possible dinner groups.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Finishing up my first timed preptest (29) - strict timing conditions and previously drilled questions, was unable to do 3 sections consecutively (did 2 back-to-back). Will report back later with results. Timing is a definite point of improvement I need to develop.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Just got confirmation that my LSAC fee waiver was granted. Man, it is great to be poor.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:04 pm

MTH2 wrote:Finishing up my first timed preptest (29) - strict timing conditions and previously drilled questions, was unable to do 3 sections consecutively (did 2 back-to-back). Will report back later with results. Timing is a definite point of improvement I need to develop.

First-ever timed preptest (29) - 158 - Guessed on 5 questions due to time constraints (2 - RC/3 - LG) and was unsure about 4 others (LR2)

LR1 - 9
LR2 - 7
LG - 4
RC - 11

RC seems to be my weakest section at the moment and LR isn't trailing too far behind. I feel that I need to drill more LR by question type and review the Manhattan RC for identifying incorrect/correct answers. On the positive side, LG wasn't too bad (guessed last 3 questions - 1 out of 3 correct). I will most likely do this preptest over again untimed for review (writing out why each answer was correct and/or incorrect). Taking suggestions for improvements and studying.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 am

Just finished going over every Linear LG prior to 2002.

Will be reviewing the ones that I missed and moving on to Grouping games.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 am

Just drilled 4 complex ordering games.
Feelsgoodman. It's good to be back in the field again
8)
Let's kick some ass and get into Harvard!!!

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey team, working on PT29 G2 right now, and this game is taking me much longer than I'd like to complete. If some of you have an opportunity, could you try it and post times. I did it the first time in 9:06, but got 2 wrong. Just did it again in 10:13, for -0.

Its one of the last games in the Cambridge "grouping defined fixed unbalanced games" packet

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:26 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Hey team, working on PT29 G2 right now, and this game is taking me much longer than I'd like to complete. If some of you have an opportunity, could you try it and post times. I did it the first time in 9:06, but got 2 wrong. Just did it again in 10:13, for -0.

Its one of the last games in the Cambridge "grouping defined fixed unbalanced games" packet

I'll check this one out later tonight - feeling sluggish right now. Also, when do you guys plan on taking PT41?

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 pm

-0 on first 76 necessary assumption questions (spread out over a few days, as I've been pretty busy lately) from the Cambridge packet. Of course, they were all level 1s, but I'm still pleased. :D

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Hey team, working on PT29 G2 right now, and this game is taking me much longer than I'd like to complete. If some of you have an opportunity, could you try it and post times. I did it the first time in 9:06, but got 2 wrong. Just did it again in 10:13, for -0.

I'll check this one out later tonight - feeling sluggish right now. Also, when do you guys plan on taking PT41?

Thanks. I think PT41 is scheduled to be taken on the 15th by most (following DD schedule on pg.1). I imagine the review for that will be the following Sunday or so. Maybe the 17th? I'll probably take it Saturday, so I don't have to take it after work.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 pm

If you guys had an $80 limit, what problem sets would you get from the Cambridge website? I was thinking the 410 Difficult Questions for LR, since that should, theoretically, contain all different types of LR problems. I also need some LG drilling material as well. Any suggestions?

Bosh

Postby Bosh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and finally decided to post. I initially planned to take the test in Feb but because of some academic responsibilities, i postponed it to June. I studied intensely during my winter break going through the LG bible twice and LR.

I realized my challenging section is LR and now that is what i want to focus on. I have printed out all the LR questions by types from PT 7-50(something). I want to drill LR question types from 7-30 after I'm done reading the LRB. Also I've also been reading the LSATblog and i was wondering if you would advice that i purchase their daily study plan.

I really don't know how the plan would help me considering the fact that I've already gone through the bibles more than once. My struggle is mostly with the LR than with other sections. Also I've already developed a habit and a strong motivation to study for the LSAT daily for about 3 hours. I just don't want to waste money which i could use to buy more recent PTs.

I would appreciate it if i could get advise on how i should drill LR section for those of you that are fond of it. I am excited and hope i can improve my scores by June to 175+....my last PTs from my February test preparation was (157-162). I haven't done a full PT since i postponed to June.

pineapple57

Postby pineapple57 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Nicolena. wrote:I just got my MLSAT Books. How do you guys suggest I tackle this? Do you read the chapters together for each book?

OR do you focus on the first couple chapters of each book and then move to the other sections? Then, when you're finally familiar with the beginning chapters and the basics rotate books?

This is my dilemma right now, too. Can't tell if it's better to go through each book one at a time or rotate chapters. Anyone have more advice?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:04 pm

pineapple57 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:I just got my MLSAT Books. How do you guys suggest I tackle this? Do you read the chapters together for each book?

This is my dilemma right now, too. Can't tell if it's better to go through each book one at a time or rotate chapters. Anyone have more advice?

If you want to go ahead and start taking PTs, then learn the basics for each book. If you want to save more PTs for when you're well-prepared, then it might be more efficient to complete books before moving on. Either way, drill each new skill after you learn it.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
ready4180 wrote:Hi all!

Write out all the options. You know you can have J or K, and with each of those, you can have N or P. Make all four.
JNLM
KNL _
JPLM
KP _ _

You only have two options because of ~P, but one could be KNLM or KNLQ, so you actually have three different possible dinner groups.

Wow -- I definitely didn't see this when I was going through the game. Thanks for the help!

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 pm

so i did a redo of pt 32 tonight..its been like 3/4 weeks since i last took it and was happy with the results. sure its false confidence but ill take it nonetheless. didnt remember the questions but still its a redo so ill take the score with a grain of salt. got a 172 so im happy for now lol. its my second time going through the 29-38 book, which ive found is really good for review. looking back at the old book and seeing the exact same mistakes is pretty eye opening.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Does anyone know the PT# for the MLSAT 3rd edition game on page 369 (it's an in-out, about a filmmaker choosing songs)? I hope I'm not just overlooking it, but I can't find the number and I'd like to review it with 7Sage's method. Thanks guys!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm

ready4180 wrote:Does anyone know the PT# for the MLSAT 3rd edition game on page 369 (it's an in-out, about a filmmaker choosing songs)? I hope I'm not just overlooking it, but I can't find the number and I'd like to review it with 7Sage's method. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, it's not from a PT, but it's a Manhattan question. If you are looking for it without markings to redo, it's in "Set 2" of the "coached replays" at the end, on page 536.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm

ready4180 wrote:Does anyone know the PT# for the MLSAT 3rd edition game on page 369 (it's an in-out, about a filmmaker choosing songs)? I hope I'm not just overlooking it, but I can't find the number and I'd like to review it with 7Sage's method. Thanks guys!

If its the on with a song called "nights all right" its PT41 G2.

If you have more info I can prob find it.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:so i did a redo of pt 32 tonight..its been like 3/4 weeks since i last took it and was happy with the results. sure its false confidence but ill take it nonetheless. didnt remember the questions but still its a redo so ill take the score with a grain of salt. got a 172 so im happy for now lol. its my second time going through the 29-38 book, which ive found is really good for review. looking back at the old book and seeing the exact same mistakes is pretty eye opening.

Was it an improvement from last time? Were there any questions you got wrong this time but not last time?

Asking because I've considered going through PT's I took recently as well and doing them again, and wondered what the results would look like.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm

weathercoins wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not from a PT, but it's a Manhattan question. If you are looking for it without markings to redo, it's in "Set 2" of the "coached replays" at the end, on page 536.

That explains it. Good call WC

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”