JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

rebexness

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm

I drilled 8 Advanced Linear LG tonight. Here are the (somewhat discouraging) results:

Test 7 game #2 -3
Test 7 game #4 0
Test 14 game #2 - -2
Test 16 game #2 0
Test 19 game #2 0
Test 20 game #4 0
Test 22 game #2 -2
Test 24 game #3 -1

I plan on doing some more later tonight after I regain focus...

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm ready for review of PT 40 whenever you guys want. And if anyone has questions about PT 39, I can probably help as well. Throw me some ballbusters, I want to feel the burn.

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Am I the only one doing armed's PT schedule?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I'm ready for review of PT 40 whenever you guys want. And if anyone has questions about PT 39, I can probably help as well. Throw me some ballbusters, I want to feel the burn.

same, i'm awake for now

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm in the main room via the link Bella provided.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Anyone else in there with you guys?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Anyone else in there with you guys?

I'm the only one as of now, armed will come eventually. I'm just keeping the window open while I drill. We can start whenever, I don't care.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm

hopping into the room right now bros.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Can I get a link?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 pm

CanILive wrote:Can I get a link?

i cant PM you bro. and i dont wanna poast the link ITT

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Armed, Daily, Griffin, Cardozo, Deputy, Weathercoins...I know I'm missing some others, but check your PM shortly. Manhattan LSAT wanted your opinion on something. To anyone I forgot on the list, please PM me or someone who got my PM can forward on to other members of the group. I don't even think I can do a group PM, lol. BRB.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

My apologies for that, I fixed my user settings.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 pm

CanILive wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

My apologies for that, I fixed my user settings.

PM sent.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm

*****, I'll be sending you the proper links and instructions for getting us kicked off tomorrow when I get back to the office. Looking forward to working with you!

Best,
Cory
Manhattan LSAT

Just got the email. We should be set and ready to go tomorrow guys! :mrgreen:

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Just an anecdote that makes me want to cry. I took PT 39 last night, and did well besides my turd of an RC section. I reviewed the entire section thoroughly. All of the questions I missed were ones that I deliberated on for a long while and thought myself out of the correct answer. The kicker is, the only passage I didn't miss one on, was the last section. The section that I started about 10 seconds after the five minute mark, the very same section that I didn't read thoroughly. Is it possible that my whole RC failure is that I over analyze/over think the questions? If so, how do I fix this?

kaseyb002

Postby kaseyb002 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

deputydog wrote:Just an anecdote that makes me want to cry. I took PT 39 last night, and did well besides my turd of an RC section. I reviewed the entire section thoroughly. All of the questions I missed were ones that I deliberated on for a long while and thought myself out of the correct answer. The kicker is, the only passage I didn't miss one on, was the last section. The section that I started about 10 seconds after the five minute mark, the very same section that I didn't read thoroughly. Is it possible that my whole RC failure is that I over analyze/over think the questions? If so, how do I fix this?

What I'm about to say isn't proven advice, but you may want to try it. When I first started studying (back in June, for the October test), I was going about -2/-3 on RC. Then I started trying to incorporate strategies and methods and I took a bit of a dip to about -4 to -6 and stayed there for a good long time. It was very frustrating.

Eventually, about a month before the test, I said screw it. No strategies, no markings, I just read that crap and moved on. This may sound obvious, but just read for comprehension. Did you get what that sentence said and the general direction this passage is moving in? If so then move on. Don't make it a big hoopla.

After that I moved back up to -2/-3 and I stayed there. Not the perfect outcome, but I'm satisfied with that for RC. Perhaps I wasn't incorporating the strategies correctly; I'm not sure, but overall I felt that having any strategy distracted me from the main goal: trying to get what this dude is saying to me.

Just try it once or twice. If you feel like it doesn't help then I would go back to whatever method you're using.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 pm

deputydog wrote:Just an anecdote that makes me want to cry. I took PT 39 last night, and did well besides my turd of an RC section. I reviewed the entire section thoroughly. All of the questions I missed were ones that I deliberated on for a long while and thought myself out of the correct answer. The kicker is, the only passage I didn't miss one on, was the last section. The section that I started about 10 seconds after the five minute mark, the very same section that I didn't read thoroughly. Is it possible that my whole RC failure is that I over analyze/over think the questions? If so, how do I fix this?

I started out this way. I'm doing pretty well now, <-5 for over three weeks. I think the cause of this shift was directly related to the combination of MRC, (reading for structure, and picking up on subtle details), and just drilling RC sections. I would argue that once you do at least 10 RC sections, you sort of just get the hang of it. You will be able to almost predict what will be asked of you. And also, the language in the answer choices doesn't really change. For example once you realize what "conceding a point" looks like, you won't miss another, in addition, once you pick up on the author's subtle tone, for example words like "Surprisingly, Unfortunately, etc." you won't miss another author's tone/author most likely to agree question. Once you knock those out, you're really only left with detail questions and inferences, again I would argue that these can be conquered through repetition.

It's only a matter of time, you got it.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
*****, I'll be sending you the proper links and instructions for getting us kicked off tomorrow when I get back to the office. Looking forward to working with you!

Best,
Cory
Manhattan LSAT

Thanks

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Best,
Cory
Manhattan LSAT

Thanks

No problem!

To all those who have responded thus far, thank you. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other members before I send the email out. Have a great night guys and for those living on the East Coast, be safe out there. Nemo looks horrible. :(

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:05 am

BlaqBella wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Best,
Cory
Manhattan LSAT

Thanks

No problem!

To all those who have responded thus far, thank you. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other members before I send the email out. Have a great night guys and for those living on the East Coast, be safe out there. Nemo looks horrible. :(

i dont know about you, but, nemo is an opportunity to cop dat plowing cash

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 am

I was thinking that too. Can you all believe LSN finally did that upgrade they've been talking about for months!? I thought that was never going to happen.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am

When y'all drill LR questions (working on must be true now), do you time it? LG seems obvious to time, and for me RC as well. But is there any point in timing LR questions for drilling? LR has been a problem with accuracy for me but never timing.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

WC, the question then becomes is your issue with accuracy due to the time constraint or lack of understanding?

I'd do a section untimed, and see how I did. More than 3-4 wrong, I'd say untimed (maybe even more than 2-3 wrong).

If you do fine, your issue with accuracy is because of the time constraint. in this case see how long it took you to finish the section untimed (just run a stopwatch in the background). Then knock a few more minutes off the clock each time you do a section until you get down to 35 comfortably.

To answer your question though, if your issue is accuracy due to time constraint, try 4 questions 5 min. work up to 5 questions in 5min for driling

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

weathercoins wrote:When y'all drill LR questions (working on must be true now), do you time it? LG seems obvious to time, and for me RC as well. But is there any point in timing LR questions for drilling? LR has been a problem with accuracy for me but never timing.

wait so ur problem is not time, but accuracy? -10/50 timed is better than -10/50 untimed so i dont really understand the question. i dont want it to sounds like im being a total douche but the question kinda doesnt make sense. how can you be fine with time but bad with accuracy? think we need more info to make any sort of suggestion.

But anyway for the timing lr question i think i could give a suggestion based on the fail of cambridge (for me). i know eeveryone swears by the bundles and hell i bought em all too, but personally i think theyre kind of worthless. How are you going to time that shit anyway. when you get hit with a section theres a variety of difficulties in there--its not set in stone. the first 15 may be mostly difficulty one and two and the last ten a mix of 3 and 4. like LG, i think the first place to start if you wanna see better accuracy is get better at answering the easy questions really fast so you have time for the hard questions. How are you gonna know what to set the clock at for 25 difficulty one or difficult 4 questions. bc honestly i dont think many people can do say 25 difficulty 4 parallel flaw in 35 minutes. so how do you allocate time. if you still want to do the bundles just do a bunch from each difficulty to get acquainted (untamed), then dive into sections (untimed) and then do sections (timed).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”