JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:What time were you thinking for the 39 review?

I was thinking early evening...6PM EST onwards? I can go later if you're on PST or CST. I don't have any plans tomorrow night.

this is good for me too. i should be fully recovered/lady armed should have peaced by then...if not she'll cam with us through our LSAT review

Lady armed. Well said.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I am free 6PM EST - onwards.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

BlaqBella wrote:I am free 6PM EST - onwards.

same, doesnt really matter. How does 7pm EST work for everyone?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Can someone PM me the TC link?

Don't think I'll be joining you all since I haven't done LR since last year. But maybe.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm

PM me the chat link as well please!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:It would be nice if OP can edit his or her post to reflect the PT schedule.

I have to scroll back couple pages to find armed's schedule.

I'm going to probably finish the 30s in February, do the 60s in March, 40s in April, 50s in May, review the 60s and do saved problems from drilling throughout. I might even go a little faster, but that's the order I think is best.

We have two options, either agree on a PT schedule or not. It's not a big deal now, because I assume most people will be doing the 40s in February as well. But by mid-late February we should have at least one PT schedule posted on the first page, I vote A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A, because he's the second poster, is active in this thread, and could just edit his old post. I said at least one PT schedule because this thread will inevitably break into segments, some will be doing PTs in one order, which doesn't necessarily mean that they will do any better than anyone else, and some will be PTs another way, again this doesn't mean anything, however it would be beneficial to post at least one PT plan on the first page.

Which brings us back to the issue of changing the PT schedule, and if so, and it would seem that we have satisfied the sufficient condition, then how and in what order should we change it?

On a side note, I basically just subconsciously made a relative ordering problem out of the pre-40s, drilling, 40s, 50s, and 60s, while I was writing this. Oh LSAT, you slay me.

Let me know and I'll stick whatever in post #2.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Did some grouping drilling of grouping games this week from the Cambridge packets. Seems like I've gotten quite rusty. I probably missed 10-12 questions out of the 20ish games. This wouldn't be a big surprise but for the fact that I was going slowly and really taking my time. Hopefully RC and LR aren't as bad.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Just took PT 39. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep it vague. Had my best LR ever (-4), but there were a couple nasty ones. First time I've ever reviewed a question and not been able to figure out where I went wrong. LG was pretty average (-4), made some stupid mistakes that I should be able to squash out with some drilling. RC felt brutal, but I only missed one before a disastrous final passage (which had two questions that made me want to punch my test booklet).

-12 overall (-4/-4/-4) for a 171, which is my best yet. It's the first time in 5 PTs that I've missed more than 2 RC, so I'm hoping that's just an outlier. 90% of my studying has been for LR, where I started at -16, so I am feeling pretty good right now.

I just need to get my paycheck so I can shell out for some LG drilling books. LSAT prep is not a poor man's game :(

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Just took PT 39. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep it vague. Had my best LR ever (-4), but there were a couple nasty ones. First time I've ever reviewed a question and not been able to figure out where I went wrong. LG was pretty average (-4), made some stupid mistakes that I should be able to squash out with some drilling. RC felt brutal, but I only missed one before a disastrous final passage (which had two questions that made me want to punch my test booklet).

-12 overall (-4/-4/-4) for a 171, which is my best yet. It's the first time in 5 PTs that I've missed more than 2 RC, so I'm hoping that's just an outlier. 90% of my studying has been for LR, where I started at -16, so I am feeling pretty good right now.

I just need to get my paycheck so I can shell out for some LG drilling books. LSAT prep is not a poor man's game :(

Great job! Any advice on what helped you get from -16 to -4 range on LR? Those old LRs are KILLING me.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Just took PT 39. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep it vague. Had my best LR ever (-4), but there were a couple nasty ones. First time I've ever reviewed a question and not been able to figure out where I went wrong. LG was pretty average (-4), made some stupid mistakes that I should be able to squash out with some drilling. RC felt brutal, but I only missed one before a disastrous final passage (which had two questions that made me want to punch my test booklet).

Great job! Any advice on what helped you get from -16 to -4 range on LR? Those old LRs are KILLING me.

I second this — I'd love to hear how you've been drilling, any especially helpful things you keep in mind when going through LR sections, etc...

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm

That's great.

Now I'm thinking about taking PT39 tomorrow for the hell of it. I haven't done any LR work at all this cycle. Waste of a PT?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Tentative schedule now in 2P.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:31 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:That's great.

Now I'm thinking about taking PT39 tomorrow for the hell of it. I haven't done any LR work at all this cycle. Waste of a PT?

This is my break, only two sections to go. I think learning from your mistakes is the only way to increase your score above 170. Which is why I'd recommend taking it, since you might make a significant number of mistakes. I hoping I bomb it so I can learn not to repeat the same thought process again.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:34 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

I can't tell you how much I like that this is beneath the PT plan.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

I can't tell you how much I like that this is beneath the PT plan.

lol. seemed appropriate

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:36 pm

You killed that, good work! This group seems to have a good number of people over 170 already.

ETA: And what's the deal with LR!? Share what you've been doing when you get a chance.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Nice!

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm

I got a kick out of the "no more pills"

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

griffin.811 wrote:I got a kick out of the "no more pills"

Me too.
Last edited by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm

PT 31, game 2 — brutal.

(Music store game.)

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 pm

The biggest jump in my LR score started when I began starring and skipping over any problem that looked like it was going to take a lot of time, then using my remaining time (I try to save 12-15 minutes for the 4-6 starred problems) to really dig into the trickier question types (saving the absolute toughest for last, so if I run out of time, it will be on one I probably wasn't getting anyway). I find that getting bogged down with a tough one every 4 or 5 problems is both distracting and tiring, and probably hurts me on the easy ones in between.

The key to that plan is having a lot of time left to go back, though. That leaves ~1 minute for the easier questions. For that to work, it's really important to know exactly what each question type requires so that you don't need to closely read through every answer. As soon as I see the answer that satisfies the requirement (ie. the first one that weakens), I'll quickly skim through the other answers and move on. This isn't great for some question types where the requirements are vague (Main Point, Point at Issue, etc.) and you really need to read all of the answers, but those types tend to not be so common, and/or are the ones I save for close analysis.

Another big help for me was the "Common Incorrect Answers" sections from the LRB. Usually you'll see two or three of the common curveballs on each question, so knowing what to look for is really helpful. Keep these in mind when drilling so that they become more and more familiar.

Cliffnotes: Know the common incorrect answers (mistaken reversals are extremely common), know the requirements for correct answers on Justify, Strengthen, Weaken, etc., and save time at the end for the extra tough questions. I feel like this is pretty standard advice, but it's worked great for me.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

an enormously cheesy gift from me to all of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm

It's literally taking every ounce of self-restraint I possess not to fill this message with how happy I am at this moment. So I just graded PT 39.

Raw Score 93, Scaled Score 174
LG: -1, #25, read the question as saying number of things, not number of different things
LR1: -3, #13, 18, 23
RC: -3, #17, 19, 21
LR2: -1, #17

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 pm

warandpeace wrote:an enormously cheesy gift from me to all of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o

:lol: Awesome video.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”