JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Speaking of which, I think we should mix up the PT schedule. The games in the 60s feel markedly different, and I was thoroughly unprepared for the Zones game when I wrote the October 2012 LSAT. Not seeing the most recent, hypo-intensive games (consensus is the 50s and 60s) until April seems dangerous.

Maybe split up the 40s, 50s and 60s so that it falls more like 50, 68, 40, 51, 67, 41, 52, 66, 42, etc. That way we have a few months to study/drill/repeat the difficult games encountered on the absolute most recent tests.

It seems reckless to use all of the 60s — our most valuable resources — as mere diagnostics less than a month prior to the June test. These are the tests that deserve the most attention.

Thoughts?

Yeah I think mixing it up as suggested above would be more beneficial. Agreed that more time should be given to the more recent tests -- I'm down to make that adjustment to our sched

Seconded. All those in favor? All those opposed?

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Speaking of which, I think we should mix up the PT schedule. The games in the 60s feel markedly different, and I was thoroughly unprepared for the Zones game when I wrote the October 2012 LSAT. Not seeing the most recent, hypo-intensive games (consensus is the 50s and 60s) until April seems dangerous.

Maybe split up the 40s, 50s and 60s so that it falls more like 50, 68, 40, 51, 67, 41, 52, 66, 42, etc. That way we have a few months to study/drill/repeat the difficult games encountered on the absolute most recent tests.

It seems reckless to use all of the 60s — our most valuable resources — as mere diagnostics less than a month prior to the June test. These are the tests that deserve the most attention.

Thoughts?

Yeah I think mixing it up as suggested above would be more beneficial. Agreed that more time should be given to the more recent tests -- I'm down to make that adjustment to our sched

Seconded. All those in favor? All those opposed?

sounds fine. when is everyone planning to take each PT?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

I have a suggestion. It would seem most helpful, in terms of time to learn from mistakes, to take the 40s and 60s in March (mostly 60s, since we'll probably be halfway through with the 40s by then), remaining 60s and the 50s in April, remaining 50s, Superprep, and heavy review in May, and (insert whatever you plan to do before June) in June.

Not only would this provide enough time to prepare to start taking new PTs, but it would also allow time to review/redo new PTs from the 60s in May.

The only issue with this plan is preparation, but what is the right balance between time from the test and preparation for that PT?

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm

i dun wanna take away from your talk guys (since ill follow whatever you guys come up with)...but i feel kinda bad that im not doing prep today. i was up at 5 to catch up on some translating (classics major...i know it sucks) and im really tired. i just did an lr section and it went fine but i cant go anymore. im whining..ill shut up now.

kendradh

Postby kendradh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 pm

d0rklord wrote:
rebexness wrote:
okaygo wrote:Anyone else balancing LSAT studying with a full class schedule, part time work (10 hr/week), and on campus student involvement?! I feel like I'm the only person who can't devote 24/7 to my studies for this specific exam.

I work full time, if that counts. I can't imagine I would be able to devote any more time than I do, without causing burnout, even if I didn't work full time.

Amen... I work full time with an hour commute each way... X.X

You're not alone! :)

Yep, I work full time, too. And after working about 24 hours over two days (with no lunch break for reading/drilling), my studying is a bit off track. So, back at LG tomorrow...

On an unrelated note, if anyone needs a short break from studying (and really, you could argue it's RC practice), here's an article that's mostly depressing, somewhat uplifting (in terms of admissions) and overall pretty interesting, especially if you read the comments down below: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/educa ... neral&_r=0

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Seconded. All those in favor? All those opposed?

sounds good.

navaho

Postby navaho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm

kendradh wrote:
Yep, I work full time, too. And after working about 24 hours over two days (with no lunch break for reading/drilling), my studying is a bit off track. So, back at LG tomorrow...

On an unrelated note, if anyone needs a short break from studying (and really, you could argue it's RC practice), here's an article that's mostly depressing, somewhat uplifting (in terms of admissions) and overall pretty interesting, especially if you read the comments down below: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/educa ... neral&_r=0

Argh here's hoping that this means an actual change in the admissions processes and fees. The debt from law school is going to force me to live like a hobo for at least 5 years.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 am

I think that newly revised PT schedule looks good; good idea. I finally finished all the games in Preptests 29-38 this morning. Starting timed LR and RC sections this weekend so I can be ready for the first PT next week.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

I am in favor of the revised format.

Question: Any tips on how to effectively review incorrect LR answer choices, specifically as it applies to self-assessment? I've only taken about 3 PTs thus far and though I am steadily gaining extra points with each exam I am still trying to find a way to identify my flawed patterns in how I see and answer questions. Any advice on how high scorers are approaching this critical aspect of LR success?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

I am still on for sitting PT39 tomorrow AM. Is the group still on for review Saturday PM?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:If you guys really want to read some dry stuff, I have some great recommendations, since that is my specialty (I was headed for academia before making the jump to Law School): Democracy and Its Critics. A nice big dry book that concerns itself with argumentation and logic revolving around what is the best form of government and how to achieve it. Dahl, the author, setups up Socratic dialogues where he makes arguments on behalf of one side and then constructs counter-arguments and counter-counter-arguments.

Thanks Theo!

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

objection_your_honor wrote:These hybrids, all in-out with a twist:

PT23, game 2
PT26, game 4
PT27, game 2
PT29, game 2

EDIT: There are more, but these were 11+ mins and generally -1 the first time through.

Gonna try these now...

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

Just wrote this on another thread. It's what I do, tailor it to your specific needs:

Improvement will be tough with just a week away, and getting -9 or so on 2 sections makes the possibility of anything over 160 very bleak. That said,I agree with Weathercoins. When reviewing LR, I find myself in a constant struggle between wanting to make sure I drill with time constraints, and wanting to focus on accuracy. You NEED to be writing out why each incorrect answer choice was wrong and why the correct choice was right. NON NEGOTIABLE! This needs to be done for every problem you got wrong. I even take it a step further and take the time to write out what it was about the question (or answer choices) that tricked me, and what I can do to better recognize this issue so it doesnt affect me next time.

I've found that many on TLS are STRONG advocates of drilling, and rightfully so. However after a certain point, I think that emphasis should really be placed on reviewing questions you got wrong, specifically WHY you got them wrong, multiple times. If you cant sit down and write out what about this question tricked you, then you need to take the time to figure out, however long it may take. Otherwise your drilling was pointless. That issue WILL pop up again, and you will be just as unprepared the second time around.

My advice, go through the section you got wrong, untimed. rather than focusing on getting the right answer, focus on finding the gap in the P/C relationship. The more you do this, the faster you will become at recognizing the issues and eventually time shouldn't be an issue. I think this is EXTREMELY helpful in your case since you have already gone through all the tests and while you will probably remember the answers to many of the questions, you probably will not remember the issues in the P/C relationships.

Only after you find the issue in the passage should you try to match the issue with the answer choices.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 am

It would be nice if OP can edit his or her post to reflect the PT schedule.

I have to scroll back couple pages to find armed's schedule.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am

griffin.811 wrote:Just wrote this on another thread. It's what I do, tailor it to your specific needs:

Improvement will be tough with just a week away, and getting -9 or so on 2 sections makes the possibility of anything over 160 very bleak. That said,I agree with Weathercoins. When reviewing LR, I find myself in a constant struggle between wanting to make sure I drill with time constraints, and wanting to focus on accuracy. You NEED to be writing out why each incorrect answer choice was wrong and why the correct choice was right. NON NEGOTIABLE! This needs to be done for every problem you got wrong. I even take it a step further and take the time to write out what it was about the question (or answer choices) that tricked me, and what I can do to better recognize this issue so it doesnt affect me next time.

I've found that many on TLS are STRONG advocates of drilling, and rightfully so. However after a certain point, I think that emphasis should really be placed on reviewing questions you got wrong, specifically WHY you got them wrong, multiple times. If you cant sit down and write out what about this question tricked you, then you need to take the time to figure out, however long it may take. Otherwise your drilling was pointless. That issue WILL pop up again, and you will be just as unprepared the second time around.

My advice, go through the section you got wrong, untimed. rather than focusing on getting the right answer, focus on finding the gap in the P/C relationship. The more you do this, the faster you will become at recognizing the issues and eventually time shouldn't be an issue. I think this is EXTREMELY helpful in your case since you have already gone through all the tests and while you will probably remember the answers to many of the questions, you probably will not remember the issues in the P/C relationships.

Only after you find the issue in the passage should you try to match the issue with the answer choices.

Wow griffin. Thank you. Looks like I have A LOT of writing out questions to do this weekend. :x :cry:

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

Np, Im in the same boat Bella. I had to take a step back and re-evaluate how I was reviewing LR, because what I was doing clearly wasn't working. I still have work to do here though but I've seen improvement.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 am

BlaqBella wrote:I am still on for sitting PT39 tomorrow AM. Is the group still on for review Saturday PM?

I am.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 am

crazyrobin wrote:It would be nice if OP can edit his or her post to reflect the PT schedule.

I have to scroll back couple pages to find armed's schedule.

I'm going to probably finish the 30s in February, do the 60s in March, 40s in April, 50s in May, review the 60s and do saved problems from drilling throughout. I might even go a little faster, but that's the order I think is best.

We have two options, either agree on a PT schedule or not. It's not a big deal now, because I assume most people will be doing the 40s in February as well. But by mid-late February we should have at least one PT schedule posted on the first page, I vote A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A, because he's the second poster, is active in this thread, and could just edit his old post. I said at least one PT schedule because this thread will inevitably break into segments, some will be doing PTs in one order, which doesn't necessarily mean that they will do any better than anyone else, and some will be PTs another way, again this doesn't mean anything, however it would be beneficial to post at least one PT plan on the first page.

Which brings us back to the issue of changing the PT schedule, and if so, and it would seem that we have satisfied the sufficient condition, then how and in what order should we change it?

On a side note, I basically just subconsciously made a relative ordering problem out of the pre-40s, drilling, 40s, 50s, and 60s, while I was writing this. Oh LSAT, you slay me.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:06 pm

What time were you thinking for the 39 review?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 pm

griffin.811 wrote:What time were you thinking for the 39 review?

I was thinking early evening...6PM EST onwards? I can go later if you're on PST or CST. I don't have any plans tomorrow night.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Saturday afternoon/evening. I going to take it this afternoon, and review my mistakes afterwards, but I'll probably sleep late tomorrow. So I'd be down for review at approximately 3:00 PM +\- an hour to adjust for time zones, which basically means tomorrow afternoon. But if anyone posts on here wishing to review, at anytime, and I'm awake, then I'll jump in.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:14 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

I was thinking early evening...6PM EST onwards? I can go later if you're on PST or CST. I don't have any plans tomorrow night.

this is good for me too. i should be fully recovered/lady armed should have peaced by then...if not she'll cam with us through our LSAT review

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:17 pm

DD
I second on 60ish 40ish 50ish and 60ish schedule.
What troubles me now is I haven't done drilling LR questions and it will be taking a little bit longer than I have expected. I will try my best to wrap up before mid-Feb.

As for schedule thing, has any of us pm'ed OP?

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Looks like 6pm EST then via the tinychat link

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

:( 6PM EST doesn't work for me. I can do 7 or 8 PM EST.
Actually it will be a good idea to pull out a ballot to see everyone's availability.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”