JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun May 19, 2013 4:38 pm

No harm at all in waiting to October. Any "lateness" on the part of your app will be more than made up by even a single LSAT point. Once you get into the ~170 range, any further increases are going to come from nuances that will take a lot more than three weeks to work out.

That said, if June would be your first go around, and you aren't looking for Y/S, it wouldn't be a bad decision to push through and give it a shot come June 10th. Just having that test day experience can be very helpful.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Sun May 19, 2013 4:59 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote: Had a really bad time doing 62 yesterday. Just felt waaay off (and score reflected it). And one of the reasons was... quiet library, with some girl that literally (not an exaggeration) was sniffling loudly every three seconds. I thought I was going to go crazy.
Honestly, that wouldn't bug me. Repetitive noises don't get on my nerves, so long as said noise is not a voice. When someone talks, I end up diverting my attention to what they are saying and I can't put my mind on the words on a page at all. I can't listen to music while I'm studying; I normally have to put a white noise track on my iPod if I really need concentration. The attention deficit I get is infinitely more distracting when the voice is much more, let's say, "Lively." My little sister watches Big Time Rush and the show so freaking obnoxious that I often just throw my preptest book across the room mid-section.

Normally, if I can't get the library atmosphere I can find a track online that has recorded noise of people using their computers, writing on paper, low whispers, etc. to imitate that atmosphere. It helps a lot.

lawschoolplease1

Bronze

Post by lawschoolplease1 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm

patfeeney wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote: Had a really bad time doing 62 yesterday. Just felt waaay off (and score reflected it). And one of the reasons was... quiet library, with some girl that literally (not an exaggeration) was sniffling loudly every three seconds. I thought I was going to go crazy.
Honestly, that wouldn't bug me. Repetitive noises don't get on my nerves, so long as said noise is not a voice. When someone talks, I end up diverting my attention to what they are saying and I can't put my mind on the words on a page at all. I can't listen to music while I'm studying; I normally have to put a white noise track on my iPod if I really need concentration. The attention deficit I get is infinitely more distracting when the voice is much more, let's say, "Lively." My little sister watches Big Time Rush and the show so freaking obnoxious that I often just throw my preptest book across the room mid-section.

Normally, if I can't get the library atmosphere I can find a track online that has recorded noise of people using their computers, writing on paper, low whispers, etc. to imitate that atmosphere. It helps a lot.
I personally listen to music while i'm drilling. if you can drill while listening to Jcole, you certainly can take a PT in a test room.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 pm

After a lackluster yesterday, I went into the library today feeling good, and after going to the gym. I completed PT 56 and came out with a score of 165. The breakdown is as follows:

-1 LG
-7 LR1
-4 LR2
-6 RC (This is the best RC section I have gotten since my diagnostic)

I attribute my terrible LR performance to the fact that I didn't warm up at all and didn't start off with an experimental section as I usually do.

I consistently see my LR2 section higher than my LR1 section, but that can only be attributed to me being in the right mindset, as I did an experiment with PT52 I took each section on different days after proper warm up and came away with -3 on each. So these LR sections are a bit of a disappointment.

On the other hand, The RC section was phenomenal. But my problem is that I have no sense of how I'm doing. I thought I was going to bomb it. I don't know why i picked half of my answers but I will figure it out when I review tomorrow.

LG was a bit tough, there were some long open ended games that were a pain in the ass, but with enough time I can do them all.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:34 pm

lawschoolplease1 wrote: while listening to Jcole
J Cole is the man - I wish his new album was coming out before the June test

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Sun May 19, 2013 6:33 pm

isuperserial wrote:
Otunga wrote:If I'm still 5 points away from my min target score 172 within the next week, what do you guys advise? I don't feel I'm reaching my potential at all, but even so, I could "hit the jackpot" on test day. I know retakes don't matter much to admissions people and so....is it worth just going for it in June, even if I think I could do (reliably) better in October? My gut's saying to take it in October, but it also seems reasonable to just sit for June and see what happens.
That's a solid score to shoot for, but to expect an increase of 5 points over just a couple weeks before the test is a bit much when you're at the level you're at right now. By that, I mean to say that when you are at the top of the 160s or bottom of 170s, any increase at all is done by scrabbling for inches with your fingernails. That's not to say you cannot do it, but just that expectations are somewhat meaningless. You try your hardest and results happen; expectations are irrelevant. One point or two points of increase at 165 or higher is a hell of an accomplishment.

Also, to say you're not reaching your "potential" is a bit ridiculous. It's a fucking hard test. A 165 is a good score, a 170 is a great score. If you hit somewhere in between that, there is absolutely no shame. I have the exact same goal as you, I want a 172 so I can send off an app to UPenn and actually think something will come of it. But at the end of the day, my friend, we've fought the good fight. A 168 or a 169 would absolutely be nothing to be ashamed of.

On that note, I am still 3 points away from my goal, and I plan on hitting up the June test. I think that you should too. I'm confident that if you put in the appropriate work, you can see an increase of your average before the test day. Then if lady luck happens to smile upon you on that day, you'll hit your goal or more. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't, and the October test is just a few months away with plenty of time to prepare.

I think I wrote this for you, but also a bit for my own anxiety that I might not increase as much as I'd like before the June test... Ah well.
Right. I wouldn't say I'm expecting that sort of increase. At this point, with just three weeks left, my goal is to get LG to a consistent 0/-1, so that a score in the 170s is within reach. Because basically, with my LG at about -3 to -4, I'm in the 165-168 range. And as for LR, I'll take -7 or so on test day. That section has been destroying me. I'm actually not drilling LR for a few days and will instead emphasize LG again. Maybe going through MLSAT LR for the next week along with LG drilling will put me in a better position if I sit for June.

As for Rhymes - I think I agree. Even if I end up with a 165, maybe just getting that test day experience will benefit me in October if I retake there. I don't think I'm going for Y/S...but I would like a chance, whatever that is.

jad0re

New

Post by jad0re » Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Beercules wrote:Last bunch of PTs, from most recent to least recent:

38-176
37-166
36-172
35-174
34-173

Dafuq is with PT 37? Burnout?

Relationship issues? :twisted:

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm

FYI...tonight is the deadline to change your test center.

I got lucky, ended up that a slot opened up by my house so I'll be driving 10 minutes away rather than an hour. Studied light over the weekend, going to step it up these last 2 weeks and take the week before the test to stay sharp, drill and review.

"Took" PT 40 (Took as in did it in sections and reviewed after each section so not a "full" PT) and got a 169 (even with the weird Zephyr Airlines game), so I'm back in my range. Guess I just had a fluke on Thursday, no need to burnout this close.

zbollenb

New

Post by zbollenb » Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

I keep going up and am peaking at the right time. I started with a 143 and now I'm up to a 165! Still three more week. I think a 168 is attainable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:36 am

zbollenb wrote:I keep going up and am peaking at the right time. I started with a 143 and now I'm up to a 165! Still three more week. I think a 168 is attainable.
I think with 3 weeks you can hit 170. IDK if it will be a consistent 170, but the way I look at it. I have 9 more PT's to complete and with each one if I can minimize a certain problem I'm having, then I'm going to be that much closer to that 170. So just focus on your review, its like what people say about the gym and abs- abs aren't made in the gym they are made in the kitchen. Review is your kitchen time, the gym is your pt time.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon May 20, 2013 10:41 am

I live by a University in DC, and sometimes the neighbors are obnoxious... Just booked a hotel right by my test center to avoid the chance that I'll be kept up the night before the test. Hoping I don't have loud hotel neighbors...

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Did 4 tests over Saturday and Sunday:

46: 173 (-6, harsh curve)
B: 176
47: 174
61: 179 (retake)

Still not safely over 175 but I'm ready to get this over with.

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Post by sasquatchsam » Mon May 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Took a PT on Saturday and scored 179...took one on Sunday and scored 167...not sure what to think. Going to chalk it up to taking the second one while flying to Hawaii for vacation but still a bit worrisome. I am going to take one mid-week and one on the flight back and hope my score doesn't sink as a result of lack of study. Was feeling pretty confident since my last four PTs were all 175+ but now it appears I need to redouble my efforts to feel at peace with taking the test in June. Any thoughts on the wild score variation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm

I hope PREPTEST 63 is a good indicator of JUNE because I raped that pt

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:Took a PT on Saturday and scored 179...took one on Sunday and scored 167...not sure what to think. Going to chalk it up to taking the second one while flying to Hawaii for vacation but still a bit worrisome. I am going to take one mid-week and one on the flight back and hope my score doesn't sink as a result of lack of study. Was feeling pretty confident since my last four PTs were all 175+ but now it appears I need to redouble my efforts to feel at peace with taking the test in June. Any thoughts on the wild score variation?
I've never flown, but that sounds like a pretty stressful/uncomfortable testing environment. I'd imagine that would have a lot to do with the drastic drop in your score (cramped testing conditions, distracting passengers, etc).

That being said, I wouldn't entirely dismiss the test either. Maybe try and fit in 1/2 an hour to an hour of studying in the morning a couple times while on vacation if you have any study materials with you. I don't think a day off would hurt you, but I wouldn't want to take several days off this close to the test.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I've never flown
Weird.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:Took a PT on Saturday and scored 179...took one on Sunday and scored 167...not sure what to think. Going to chalk it up to taking the second one while flying to Hawaii for vacation but still a bit worrisome. I am going to take one mid-week and one on the flight back and hope my score doesn't sink as a result of lack of study. Was feeling pretty confident since my last four PTs were all 175+ but now it appears I need to redouble my efforts to feel at peace with taking the test in June. Any thoughts on the wild score variation?
1) Don't worry about the 167. This is a timed test, and everything matters-- being on a plane makes a huge difference. I really wouldn't worry.

I also have had some pretty nutty swings lately, I bombed PT 62. While we will be nervous on 6/10, I think (hope?) the adrenaline rush will allow us to stay focused and not bomb the actual thing. I took the LSAT once-- two years ago-- and it held true for me then (I scored at the top of my PT range at the time, but expectations were way different than now).

2) I also wouldn't worry about taking a few days off this week. A few days of relaxing, especially where you are now, can't hurt. So happy this isn't a memorization test. And I wouldn't take a PT on the flight. Just do drilling or sections or something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 20, 2013 2:07 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:I've never flown
Weird.
It's not a fear or anything, I've just never had a reason for it. Hopefully I'll be flying to at least a couple of ASD weekends after I improve my LSAT.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon May 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Superprep B today:

LR1: -2 (#15 (switched from correct during review) and 23).
LG: -0 (one of the toughest sections I've ever seen; game 3 was brutal)
RC: -0 (probably the easiest RC ever)
LR2: -0 (finished in 25m with no questions marked for review)

Raw: 99 --> Scaled: 180

First 180, so I'm happy even if it was just a Superprep. Drilling Parallel Reasoning right before PTing really seems to get my brain going. I've done it for my last 3 PTs, and gotten 176+ on all of them.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Superprep B today:

First 180, so I'm happy even if it was just a Superprep. Drilling Parallel Reasoning right before PTing really seems to get my brain going. I've done it for my last 3 PTs, and gotten 176+ on all of them.
Congrats on your first 180! :D

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Took PT 59

LG: -0 (experimental from PT50)
LG: -1
LR: -5 :shock:
LR: -1
RC: -2

92/174

Well, it was solid all-around except that one LR section, which is typically my rock. I have been focusing almost exclusively on LG and RC during drilling, so that may account for it, but LR1 definitely had a lot of questions with 4 or 5 rating on lsatqa. I didn't think of this as a really difficult section when I was taking it, and was shocked at how poorly I did. Anyone know if this section is more of an odd man out? There seemed to be a lot more principle and role questions in here.

RC was really familiar, so I cruised through it, and only went -1 on Noguchi. LG wasn't bad at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Superprep B today:

Congrats. And yeah, B's LG is no fucking joke.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Just retook my December LSAT (was a 165) and ended up with a 172! This is a test I have never reviewed before and have not looked at since my first administration, so I'm pretty excited.

PT 68
91/172 (82/165)
RC: -8 (-4 first time)
LR: -1 (-4)
LR: -1 (-3)
LG: -0 (-8)

Oddly enough, I completely bombed the RC this time. I'll definitely continue to review RC, and hopefully when I review this I figure out where I went wrong. For some reason I struggled with timing here, whereas normally it is not a major issue. I also think I strayed away from my recent approach and started to notate and underline too much.

I'm very proud of my LG progress though. The first time through, I had to guess on the last 5 questions because I ran out of time. This time, I finished the LG with two or three minutes to spare.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Drilled the 4 games at the end of LGB ch. 8 and got them all. Don't think it counts as my first 0 but I was left wondering why the hell I took so long to go through the Advanced Techniques chapter of LGB after doing it.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon May 20, 2013 8:09 pm

LG is about to keep me from going to law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”