JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rebexness

Gold

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by rebexness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Just went through and redid all of the Linear games I had previously missed questions on.

Fixed most of my errors, with 5 games still requiring some work.

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 pm

rebexness wrote: Whenever I get an EXCEPT or CANNOT or whatever that I know will screw me over, I write it in big letters myself.

Like, if a question says "all of these will strengthen EXCEPT", I write down "4 strengthen, 1 Cool Story Bro" (<--yes, i did). It makes me remember what I'm doing versus picking the first answer that appears to strengthen because I am often stupid like that.

This is awesome.

I think I am going to start using this.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

rebexness wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:@Armed - Nice! I banking?

@RK - "except" and "cannot" get me all the time in LG. Died when I saw that.
Whenever I get an EXCEPT or CANNOT or whatever that I know will screw me over, I write it in big letters myself.

Like, if a question says "all of these will strengthen EXCEPT", I write down "4 strengthen, 1 Cool Story Bro" (<--yes, i did). It makes me remember what I'm doing versus picking the first answer that appears to strengthen because I am often stupid like that.
This is great. At the end of a PT I will realize that the question says "except" but then look at the answer choices, and, especially if I feel rushed, forget it. Biggest cause of my careless errors. Going to try to write it out in big letters as well. Thanks!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Did PT20's RC in 32:00, -1. I am wondering how much my retaker status is skewing my scores, though. I did this PT probably a year ago, and the topics did seem familiar. I also recently read a book about evolution and the science passage was about an area discussed at length in the book.

Then again, I had timing problems with PT19's RC and went -4. Mixed results.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm

PT 41

Scaled 168, Raw 87

LR: -3
LG: -3 [all three wrong on the last game...]
LR: -3
RC: -5

Indifferent about my results mainly because I remembered some of the questions and had a slight idea about what the answer was. The games are ones I've seen before although I don't remember when I did them last; game 3 was the one used as an example in the Manhattan LG guide to illustrate their in and out method so I think prior exposure played a role there. I definitely recalled the RC passages although wasn't positive of the answers. I'm getting questions wrong early on in LR which I don't understand - in the 1st section I got 4 and 5 wrong :/ Da fukkk.

Going to review later tonight.

Edit: Just logged into lsatqa and saw that I took this PT back in Sept and scored a 160. I *think* that's a good thing

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm

weathercoins wrote:
rebexness wrote:

Whenever I get an EXCEPT or CANNOT or whatever that I know will screw me over, I write it in big letters myself.

This is great. At the end of a PT I will realize that the question says "except" but then look at the answer choices, and, especially if I feel rushed, forget it. Biggest cause of my careless errors. Going to try to write it out in big letters as well. Thanks!
I think you started a new trend. Good thing the test is electronically scored. LSAC might get a little worried if the saw a bunch of "cool story bro"s on various test packets :lol:

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 pm

griffin.811 wrote: I think you started a new trend. Good thing the test is electronically scored. LSAC might get a little worried if the saw a bunch of "cool story bro"s on various test packets :lol:
Schools just see the writing sample, right? I don't want to have to make my diagrams look chill and sociable for adcoms.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 pm

rebexness wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
griffin.811 wrote: I think you started a new trend. Good thing the test is electronically scored. LSAC might get a little worried if the saw a bunch of "cool story bro"s on various test packets :lol:
Schools just see the writing sample, right? I don't want to have to make my diagrams look chill and sociable for adcoms.
Someone once asked if there was anything preventing the school from requesting the rest of the documents, (i think the scantron, specifically) but i dont think it was ever established that they could or couldn't.
It would probably be a really strange situation for them to request it.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 pm

griffin.811 wrote: A: Friends? out of scope...Elim
C: Doesn't connect losing interest in hobby to unsuccessful strategy. Also scope IMO...Elim
D: Other strategy? We are only concerned with this one. More successful? Not interested in comparisons. We just need to know whether or not our strategy is successful or not. Be it the most successful or the least...Elim
E: Not concerned with the main reason the take up hobbies. Scope...Elim

If this wasn't clear, just re-post or PM me, and I'll think of another explanation.

HTH
Griffin, thanks for the input. I did eliminate ACDE and double check B by negating it.What I am concerned is that I think B is a sufficient assumption and it fills the gap perfectly. Whereas the stem is asking for a necessary assumption. In other words, if those answer choices pops up and servers as a necessary assumption, I think B could be wrong.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote: Schools just see the writing sample, right? I don't want to have to make my diagrams look chill and sociable for adcoms.
I don't think that matters anyway. They probably never check your package.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 am

crazyrobin wrote:
griffin.811 wrote: A: Friends? out of scope...Elim
C: Doesn't connect losing interest in hobby to unsuccessful strategy. Also scope IMO...Elim
D: Other strategy? We are only concerned with this one. More successful? Not interested in comparisons. We just need to know whether or not our strategy is successful or not. Be it the most successful or the least...Elim
E: Not concerned with the main reason the take up hobbies. Scope...Elim

If this wasn't clear, just re-post or PM me, and I'll think of another explanation.

HTH
Griffin, thanks for the input. I did eliminate ACDE and double check B by negating it.What I am concerned is that I think B is a sufficient assumption and it fills the gap perfectly. Whereas the stem is asking for a necessary assumption. In other words, if those answer choices pops up and servers as a necessary assumption, I think B could be wrong.
Hey CR,

So B isn't sufficient because it neglects to realize that some adolescents could fully devote themselves to a hobby and never lose interest and therefore, never have their loneliness exacerbated. In this case, developing an all consuming hobby maybe a successful strategy.

A sufficient answer choice would need to say something like "Anything that could potentially lead to exacerbated feelings of loneliness is not a successful strategy." If this were the case, we could def say that developing an all inclusive hobby is not a successful strategy since there is a chance some will lose interest, which leads to exacerbated feelings of loneliness.

The main thing I wanted to point out was that just because an answer perfectly fills the gap, doesn't mean it cant be the answer to a necessary assumption.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 am

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:10 am

I'm exhausted, ecstatic, and slightly skeptical simultaneously.

PT 41: Raw 99, Scaled 180

LR1: -1, #22
LG: -0
LR2: -1, #19
RC: -0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So extra time on the first three sections, a minute or two on both LRs, and at least three minutes on LG. RC was close to the buzzer. I said slightly skeptical because I've seen at least two of these passages before, could be Powerscore or Manhattan, although I didn't remember any of the answers. I'm calling it tonight, I'll review my results and unsure questions tomorrow morning. I think the Manhattan review is this Friday, although I could be wrong, I'll check and clear that up if anyone doesn't beat me to it tomorrow.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 am

And awesome work to everyone else who took PT 41 today. This group is killing it.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 am

Daily_Double wrote:I'm exhausted, ecstatic, and slightly skeptical simultaneously.

So extra time on the first three sections, a minute or two on both LRs, and at least three minutes on LG. RC was close to the buzzer. I said slightly skeptical because I've seen at least two of these passages before, could be Powerscore or Manhattan, although I didn't remember any of the answers. I'm calling it tonight, I'll review my results and unsure questions tomorrow morning. I think the Manhattan review is this Friday, although I could be wrong, I'll check and clear that up if anyone doesn't beat me to it tomorrow.

This gonna be my best motivation. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 am

Daily_Double wrote:I'm exhausted, ecstatic, and slightly skeptical simultaneously.

congrats brother! killing it. if the manhattan review is this friday i'd love to attend (though i'll be in philly)

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 am

it's a back office role. but if i get it, i'm going to try to hustle into IB for when i graduate in the fall

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 am

Dayum. Nicely done man.

I'll be taking 41 tomorrow or Friday to see how that goes.

redecember

New

Post by redecember » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:52 am

Dude congrats man! keep it going. Do you mark your passages when you do RC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

redecember wrote:

Dude congrats man! keep it going. Do you mark your passages when you do RC?
Yeah I mark up passages using Manhattan's methods.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

so. we are reviewing PT 41 tomorrow night yeah? i'm going to take it on the bus ride from nyc to philly

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 am

I'm taking 41 tomorrow. I don't have a good feeling but I'll do it just to get a test in me.

Timed four sections or should I throw in a variable there? And if, so...which section? An RC or LR?

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am

Damn, DD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”