JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Guerrilla Logic

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by Guerrilla Logic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Awesome work, I've been spending all day reviewing RC, some BP LG too, and refining my answer selection process, hopefully I get the same score or lower in that section when I take it Saturday.
Let's gogogoogo!

any tips for making LR drilling less of a grind? After ten Q's I look for a distraction, have to use my will to power through another 10 to 15.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Guerrilla Logic wrote:
Let's gogogoogo!

any tips for making LR drilling less of a grind? After ten Q's I look for a distraction, have to use my will to power through another 10 to 15.
Couple ways, both mental, to begin with it's always been my favorite section, and it has increased my habit to point out why people's statements are wrong. But I also look at it as a challenge, I'm also incredibly competitive, LSAC doesn't think I can get a 175+. Challenge accepted. Second, I previously hung a piece of paper above my desk with 180 on it for motivation, but I replaced it with a much lower score. Everyday I wake up, smile at the paper, do some games and take steps to prove LSAC wrong. You're well on your way to cutting LR to -0, now you just have to put in the hard work to get there.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Guerrilla Logic wrote:
Let's gogogoogo!

Couple ways, both mental, to begin with it's always been my favorite section, and it has increased my habit to point out why people's statements are wrong. But I also look at it as a challenge, I'm also incredibly competitive, LSAC doesn't think I can get a 175+. Challenge accepted. Second, I previously hung a piece of paper above my desk with 180 on it for motivation, but I replaced it with a much lower score. Everyday I wake up, smile at the paper, do some games and take steps to prove LSAC wrong. You're well on your way to cutting LR to -0, now you just have to put in the hard work to get there.
Ah I have a 180 on my wall too... Maybe I should replace it with some reachable scores for now.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Guerrilla Logic wrote:
Let's gogogoogo!

What's the lower score?

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Had a PT scheduled for today, but didn't get my new book in time so I had to settle for PT45.

LR1: -4 (12, 13, 20, 21)
RC: -1 (22)
LG: -1 (16)
LR2: -2 (15, 22)

Raw: 91 --> Scaled: 174

Best PT yet, and I had quite a few distractions throughout. Question 12 on LR1 is nasty. Even after reading two explanations, I was still annoyed with it. Switched two answers on LR, both from right to wrong. Very easy RC section. Made an idiotic mistake on LG; finished in 22 minutes.

I'm going to try and do PTs 66 and 67 in the next couple days to get caught up. Hopefully my scores translate to the newer tests...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:30 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote: What's the lower score?
I won't go in to the exact number, but I will say that the number is below the 25% of the schools that I would be more than willing to attend.

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 pm

What have you guys been using as a proctor site/app? I've been using the Kaplan phone app lately..but ever since I changed phones its started unexpectedly crashing.

Don't want to get used to using a digital timer.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 pm

arcanecircle wrote:What have you guys been using as a proctor site/app? I've been using the Kaplan phone app lately..but ever since I changed phones its started unexpectedly crashing.

Don't want to get used to using a digital timer.
Phone app, it says simugator, that's really all I know. That and I hate the person obnoxiously coughing every time I take a PT.

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

I dunno about the whole ambient SFX feature for the proctors.

I mean I understand the concept of wanting to simulate stuff like that for the real test, but its usually the EXACT SAME cough, pencil scratch or sneezing noise. I guess I don't have the concentration to stop fixating on the that, always end up having to turn it off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 pm

arcanecircle wrote:I dunno about the whole ambient SFX feature for the proctors.

I mean I understand the concept of wanting to simulate stuff like that for the real test, but its usually the EXACT SAME cough, pencil scratch or sneezing noise. I guess I don't have the concentration to stop fixating on the that, always end up having to turn it off.
I thought about paying a homeless to do it, but he was going to charge by the cough/sneeze, and combinations were extra. Probably would have cost more than law school.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
arcanecircle wrote:I dunno about the whole ambient SFX feature for the proctors.

I thought about paying a homeless to do it, but he was going to charge by the cough/sneeze, and combinations were extra. Probably would have cost more than law school.
The trick is paying with beer. A person can only drink so much, and it adds variety to the coughs and sneezes as BAC increases.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Guerrilla Logic wrote:
Let's gogogoogo!

Good to know I am not alone on this.
I can do 8 games or 8 RC in a roll without distraction. But for LR, I get distracted after 20 Qs. :P

Guerrilla Logic

New

Post by Guerrilla Logic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 pm

take a look at PT 23, S3, #10
LR strengthen question

why does B strengthen? is this one of those anticipates a challenge answers or something? I went through the answers 3 times and could not pick one that strengthened and went with B as a best guess but still scratching my head.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Daily_Double wrote: I thought about paying a homeless to do it, but he was going to charge by the cough/sneeze, and combinations were extra. Probably would have cost more than law school.
The trick is paying with beer. A person can only drink so much, and it adds variety to the coughs and sneezes as BAC increases.
I think you're on to something. Hell, for a couple 40s, I could probably get one to even take it with me.

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
Guerrilla Logic wrote:
Let's gogogoogo!

Good to know I am not alone on this.
I can do 8 games or 8 RC in a roll without distraction. But for LR, I get distracted after 20 Qs. :P
RC for me. Maybe because its my weakest section by far, but I always get totally lethargic after a round of RC. LR is the discotheque, LG is the full service car wash.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Drilling LR questions is ADHD hell.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 pm

It's SO hard to find the motivation to drill RC. Boring as shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 pm

LR drilling really depends on the type of question. I could do Resolve the Paradox, or Point at Issue for hours on end. But give me Conditional Reasoning, or Principle questions, and I am dying after 10 or so.

LG is actually a lot of fun as long as you shuffle-up the question types. At least until you are redoing the same game for the 3rd or 4th time.

I've never actually tried drilling RC. I assume it would be tolerable, but only because it's the section that I really need to improve on.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:It's SO hard to find the motivation to drill RC. Boring as shit.
LOL I ride it like a rolling coaster.

Isn't it fun to read something you don't know? :lol:
Nature science passages used to be my bane, now it's my favorite part.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:It's SO hard to find the motivation to drill RC. Boring as shit.
So true. RC is my weakest section yet when I sit down to drill I am doing LR or LG. LG is more... fun; and LR has different types to mix it up. RC is so bleh. I think I'm going to begin doing an RC section at the beginning and end of studying, no matter what I'm focusing on, starting soon.

Squintz805

New

Post by Squintz805 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:43 pm

What PT is everyone up to on the Group Review Sessions? I've been drilling for weeks now and am ready to start getting on the PT boat

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kendradh

New

Post by kendradh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 pm

First timed PT here.
PT 36, 4 section using bubble sheets.

Got to all questions with a few minutes to spare on all sections except for RC, which came in right under the wire.

LR1: -5
RC: -1
LR2: -4
LG: -2

Raw: 89, Scaled: 170

Must say I'm pretty happy with this, considering I was really afraid I would never be able to reconcile time issues without completely sacrificing accuracy.
LR is still killing me. I'm planning to go back through LRB and really hunker down with some of the concepts.
This was my worst LG so far, but the first time I've been under 35 minutes, so I won't beat myself up too much.

I haven't gone back and dug into what I got wrong, but as soon as I do, I may be posting some LR questions here in the near future.

Happy LSATing!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 am

For timing, I use a Casio MQ24-7B that I ordered from Amazon for $8.99 shipped. I used a knife + ruler to put scores in the face of it to split 35 mins into 8:45 sections when starting at 00:25. This is the same one I used for prep and my official LSAT last year — still ticking.

bdeans91

New

Post by bdeans91 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 am

Just started doing Grouping questions. Holy shit... now I see why people invest so much into LG.

Linear was such cake compared to this.

bmore_md

Bronze

Post by bmore_md » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:21 am

PT 57 LR2 25. Anyone have a solid explanation? I feel like this is the most ambiguous LSAT problem I have seen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”