JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Daily_Double

Silver

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:54 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Just curious, for those that took PT 40 already, did anyone else have trouble with the Zephyr Airlines game? I got 4/6 wrong. I actually wasted a lot of time there too. Spent about 4 min before I realized I should skip it and come back if time allowed.
PM me for specific questions, or do you want an overview? If overview and tips then I'll post to the thread.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Alright here goes. Admittedly, this game in my opinion was the more difficult of the four, still it wasn't bad. So five cities, unlimited number of flights, each one connected by the other...Hmm, this seems like a great time to use Manhattan's open board method. When problems match this method, open grouping, you should expect numerical distribution problems and some quick inferences.

H, M, P, T, V

M - only one
H --> ~T
H --> H + T
P + T --> P ~V

This game requires a couple quick inferences up front, and if I had to guess I'd say front-loaded game. First thing I did was see the most each could be with. I'm not going to include my diagram, mainly because I don't know exactly how to make it look effective. But I tried to describe it below.

So you know that H can only be with two cities at the most, since it can't be with M, because M can only have one and if H +M --> M +H +T, which violates a rule, and it can't be with T, per the rules.

Since H can't be with T, you can infer that T can only be with three cities at the most, M, T, and V. Furthermore, you can also infer that P can only connect with three cities at the most, because it cannot have H/T and V. Finally, V can be with four cities at the most, since there's not any real restrictions on it.

Moving into the questions which require more than a slight amount of thought, #12, 15, 16, and 17.

12. If three with P, you know they must be HMT, because P can only connect with HMTV, since it is with three regardless of if it chooses H, it must choose T, therefore, ~V.
~A, ~C, ~D, because P is with M, therefore nothing else is with M
~E, because P with HTM, not V

15. If T is only one with P, then M can't receive P or H, P can't receive H, according to the rules, T can't receive H, therefore V must receive H and T. So now you have H receiving only one, V, M could receive T or V, P only receives T as per the question, T receives at least V and P, and V receives at least H and T.
~A, because one must have H
~B, because V must have H, since H must have V, therefore V must have T as well
~C, H can only be with V
~E, T can't be with H

16. Max number of pairs. 13 open spaces, so initially cross out anything over six. Now consider the PT --> ~PV rule. You know H cannot receive T or M, so at the most it receives two, V and P, you know M receives one of P/T/V, P receives H, therefore receives T and can't receive V, T receives P, and since V receives H it must receive T, therefore T receives V. Now the question is which of P/T/V does M receive? So ignoring M, we have four pairs, this eliminates the rest, but since M is only with one of P/T/V, therefore there must be five pairs.

17. If four with the one remaining, then what must be true? Since V is the only one which receives four, then H, M, P, and T receive V. Since P + V, P cannot receive T, therefore it cannot receive H, and since it cannot receive M, because M receives only one which in this case is V, P is maxed out. Since T cannot receive H, P, since then P would receive T, which we know is false, or M, it must be maxed out. Since H can't receive P, T, or M, since they cannot receive H, H is maxed out. If you followed this thought process, the question is a cakewalk.

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Just got done drilling 9 LGs.

Plan on doing about 5 more before I call it a day.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:16 pm

In for June 2013. Anyone living in Las Vegas also taking June 2013?

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:so, for June: if you could pick only 1 of the 3, would you have an exceptionally easy games, LR (1 of the 2), or RC section?
RC. And it's not even close.
+1, RC drives me insane sometimes. I've gone -2, -1, -1, -6, -4 over my last five PTs, and being able to blow through one would give me a huge bump.
Good work with the low errors, which PTs did you go -6 and -4?
The -4 was on 39. I think the -6 was on 33, but I took it at 8am Monday morning after some Super Bowl shenanigans the night before, so I'm hoping it's just a result of being sleep deprived.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 pm

today LG: -0 pt 29, -1 pt 30, -1 pt 31 today and two rc sections -4/-3...get home from class gonng do lr from 29 and 30 foe whoever is willing to do it im dowin to review

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Fuck RC bros. Also fuck feminist profs

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Fuck RC bros. Also fuck feminist profs
You forgot the police.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm ready to review 40. I'd suggest that program we used last time, although I'm up for any other suggestions. Who's in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm down to review, but I don't think most will be ready till tm. I still have to dissect these games, but if everyone else is down, I'm ready.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Three hours of sleep last night. Can we review tomorrow?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Tomorrow is fine.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Hit me up on gchat when you wanna rock DD I'm free after 3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Hit me up on gchat when you wanna rock DD I'm free after 3
Will do. But it will be late, I work from 9-5 tomorrow.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm

GChat? Don't we have the Blackboard room reserved for tomorrow? And I'm down anytime after 5

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:today LG: -0 pt 29, -1 pt 30, -1 pt 31 today and two rc sections -4/-3...get home from class gonng do lr from 29 and 30 foe whoever is willing to do it im dowin to review
Going to do LR from 29 right noww, let me know if you had any questions about any of the questions

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 am

Why don't we just stick with 7 as the review time for tm? Most people seemed to be able to make it then. Also I know we can use the blackboard room, just not sure we have it reserved for tm.

Bella, did Manhattan get back to you with dates/times?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

griffin.811 wrote:Why don't we just stick with 7 as the review time for tm? Most people seemed to be able to make it then. Also I know we can use the blackboard room, just not sure we have it reserved for tm.

Bella, did Manhattan get back to you with dates/times?
I'm terrible with time conversions, but it's 10:41 PM at this moment where I am, I believe the time zone is central, CST, but I won't be available to review until 9:00 PM, CST, tomorrow evening. So if seven depending on a number of things, I probably won't be able to make it, which is ok, but if you want my tips, assuming I don't join during my night class then well have to adjust tomorrow to some later time.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 am

Supposedly they are trying to arrange for us to have our own designated classroom online. The space we previously used is generally reserved for instructors and MLSAT registered students. I knew about it being available as I was a student myself.

I will call the contact Noah provided tomorrow. I can't promise that the same space we used Saturday will be vacant tomorrow evening as tutor sessions are often booked during weekday evenings and available weekend evenings. I'm hoping our space will be made accessible in time for tomorrow's review.

I am calling first thing in the AM. Will keep everyone posted.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 am

Are folks still planning on reviewing in TChat tomorrow? I'm on the original armed plan. I took PT 39 tonight:

-0 on LG - finished several minutes before the 5 minute mark, i wish the whole test was this easy
-2 on LR1 - haven't reviewed the questions yet, but I didn't mark the questions as difficult, so I bet i misread something. finished 3 minutes early.
-7 on RC - what the fuark!? this seemed like an extra tough RC section, but -7 is rough, i usually get between -4 and -5. finished at the buzzer.
-2 - on LR2 - I marked one as difficult, and got it wrong, so i need to figure it out. the other one could probably be attributed to haste. finished with around 2 minutes left

-11 is good enough for a 171 on this test. i am okay with the LR scores, i thought i aced both of them, but -4 combined isn't too shabby for this early in the game. RC is the shittiest part of the test, i fucking hate it.

plan from here: keep trucking along drilling the 'difficult' LR/RC/LG bundles from cambridge. in a few weeks, after I have more tests under my belt and can discern weaknesses better, i'll move on to the type specific bundles.

i am going to work on RC until its my bitch. it is the key to my test.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 am

BlaqBella wrote:Supposedly they are trying to arrange for us to have our own designated classroom online. The space we previously used is generally reserved for instructors and MLSAT registered students. I knew about it being available as I was a student myself.

I will call the contact Noah provided tomorrow. I can't promise that the same space we used Saturday will be vacant tomorrow evening as tutor sessions are often booked during weekday evenings and available weekend evenings. I'm hoping our space will be made accessible in time for tomorrow's review.

why dont we just use the TC link that armed PM'd us?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am

deputydog wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Supposedly they are trying to arrange for us to have our own designated classroom online. The space we previously used is generally reserved for instructors and MLSAT registered students. I knew about it being available as I was a student myself.

why dont we just use the TC link that armed PM'd us?
We used TC for about a minute before hating it. Bella had a good link, I don't know if it was related to manhattan or not.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am

Is it too late to start studying for June 2013? I don't plan on going to law school any time soon, but want to write the test before working.

Feasible to start now, take in June and re-take in December or February if anything?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 am

howlery wrote:Is it too late to start studying for June 2013? I don't plan on going to law school any time soon, but want to write the test before working.

Feasible to start now, take in June and re-take in December or February if anything?
Yes. Definitively yes. By yes I mean it's not too late.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:59 am

Daily_Double wrote:
howlery wrote:Is it too late to start studying for June 2013? I don't plan on going to law school any time soon, but want to write the test before working.

Yes. Definitively yes. By yes I mean it's not too late.
Sweet. Seeing this thread with so many pages made me feel like I was way late :lol: . Off to Amazon I go!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”