JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NoWorries

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by NoWorries » Tue May 28, 2013 2:51 am

I feel like RC are a lot easier to do early when your brain is fresh. The only problem I'd have with RC first would be hidden worries about another RC section. LR back to back after the break seems perfect to me.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:32 am

I'm calling it, this thread will reach 180 pages come June 10th. It's a sign.

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

I really feel what order my test is could have a positive effect. I've prepared for the worse case scenarios by using RC as my experimental a majority of the time, but if I somehow had two LG sections I think the excitement may cause me to wet myself. :D

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I actually don't want a LG experimental at all :x

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue May 28, 2013 2:09 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just took PT 65, one of my last fresh modern tests (only have one 60+ test left to take fresh, ugh). WHAT A MESS.

Misread a rule on the fourth game (which was the second game I worked on), and ended up finishing almost the entire thing before realizing it (and it was a rule that completely changed the game). Had to start it completely fresh, and rush through it and the remaining two games. Ended up having to guess on a couple Qs.

And RC: UGH. I haven't *not* finished an RC section in ages, and I got to the last passage with five minutes. Don't know what happened. Ended up having to completely guess on 4 Qs. Awful, awful, awful.

I ended up deciding that if this was test day, I would have cancelled the score. You can therefore imagine my shock at the results:

PT 65: 177
LR1: -1 (24/25)
LG: -1 (22/23)
RC: -4 (23/27)
LR2: -0 (26/26)
Total: -6 (RS = 95)

What. Ugh.

Even with the pretty good result though, my confidence is pretty thrown. Can't believe what a mess I was during this test. But I guess it supports the logic of some test companies that you shouldn't really cancel just because you thought you were a mess.. who knows though.

Summary: BLECH.
Are you normally able to predict your score? I very rarely know how I did after I take a test. Yesterday I thought I had around a -3 on LR and ended up perfect, but the other day I thought I did pretty well on a RC section (-2 or 3) and ended up with a -5. LG is the only section where I usually have an idea on how I did. I think I would have to mis-bubble or bomb two sections in order to cancel my score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just took PT 65, one of my last fresh modern tests (only have one 60+ test left to take fresh, ugh). WHAT A MESS.

Misread a rule on the fourth game (which was the second game I worked on), and ended up finishing almost the entire thing before realizing it (and it was a rule that completely changed the game). Had to start it completely fresh, and rush through it and the remaining two games. Ended up having to guess on a couple Qs.

And RC: UGH. I haven't *not* finished an RC section in ages, and I got to the last passage with five minutes. Don't know what happened. Ended up having to completely guess on 4 Qs. Awful, awful, awful.

I ended up deciding that if this was test day, I would have cancelled the score. You can therefore imagine my shock at the results:

PT 65: 177
LR1: -1 (24/25)
LG: -1 (22/23)
RC: -4 (23/27)
LR2: -0 (26/26)
Total: -6 (RS = 95)

What. Ugh.

Even with the pretty good result though, my confidence is pretty thrown. Can't believe what a mess I was during this test. But I guess it supports the logic of some test companies that you shouldn't really cancel just because you thought you were a mess.. who knows though.

Summary: BLECH.
Are you normally able to predict your score? I very rarely know how I did after I take a test. Yesterday I thought I had around a -3 on LR and ended up perfect, but the other day I thought I did pretty well on a RC section (-2 or 3) and ended up with a -5. LG is the only section where I usually have an idea on how I did. I think I would have to mis-bubble or bomb two sections in order to cancel my score.
No, I'm normally pretty awful at predicting my score. But I also normally don't have to completely redo games or rush through RC passages and end up having to guess on a bunch of Qs. So I figured this was one time where a bleak estimate was definitely warranted. Still not comforted enough by the actual results to know for sure that I won't cancel if I have a similar experience on test day.

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Tue May 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Do you ever question your sanity sometimes?

For most people the LSAT is something that they stroll in without really thinking about..... many of our diagnostic scores are good enough to get into a decent law school.... strange when you use an outsider's perspective. I wonder how many people at my testing site will have put in even a month of studying, let alone the ridiculous amounts of time we have all spent.....

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Tue May 28, 2013 2:43 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:Do you ever question your sanity sometimes?

For most people the LSAT is something that they stroll in without really thinking about..... many of our diagnostic scores are good enough to get into a decent law school.... strange when you use an outsider's perspective. I wonder how many people at my testing site will have put in even a month of studying, let alone the ridiculous amounts of time we have all spent.....
I generally only question the sanity of people who don't think like me in some way. I suppose that thought process rests upon the assumption that it is in fact a sane one though...

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:many of our diagnostic scores are good enough to get into a decent law school.
Not mine. Not most people's.

What's insane is spending $250k for entry into a profession you have not researched the realities of. The market only has room for graduates from a select number of schools, with few exceptions. We're the sane ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 pm

I don't want to be "most people". Most people suck.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:33 pm

After taking around 5 days off to read LSAT Trainer, I have come out of it a little bit confused. I just took PT 68 and although I felt confident coming away from it, I bombed the LR section. MY breakdown is as follows:

LG -4 ( I ran out of time on game 4 and had to guess 3 questions. Game 3, while confusing was not too difficult, i expected a bit more of a challenge after reading everyones horror story about it.)
LR1 -7 (I don't know how I did so poorly, as I have been scoring around -3's.)
LR2 -8 (ditto)
RC -5 ( This is where the book really helped me, I have been getting -7/-9 on every RC except this one and the last one i took)

As far the sections breakdown goes, well I'm disappointed, but I can only attribute my shitty LR score to the fact that I didn't warm up at all, and I have been away from doing timed questions in a PT type setting for about 5 days. After sufficient review tonight, I hope to go into tomorrows test with more reflective numbers. The type of questions I got wrong were my strengths going into the LSAT Trainer, so at least my weaknesses have been addressed, I think.

LG was adequate, but I spent too much time on Game 3, although it was not as difficult as I had imagined it to be after reading everyone dread of it. I handeld it well and and only got -1 in game 4 of the questions I had time to complete, but i had to guess on 3 other questions so that really made my score take a dive.

RC was like a dream. Now I know people here are going to say "-5, ha that shit sucks," but for me, who was getting -8, or -9 regularly it was a beautiful sight to see after putting in all this time reading the LSAT Trainer.

So coming out of this PT I'm going to review my LR and LG and RC tonight, and hit it tomorrow with PT58, hopefully I'll see an improvement in my LR score, LG score, and I guess my RC score.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm

PT 63 today:

LR1: -1 (#14, it's almost impressive how badly I misread this question)
LG: -0 (Game 3 was such a slog, but an easy section overall)
LR2: -0
RC: -1 (#13, what an awful passage. Anything women's history just kills me.)

Raw: 99 ---> Scaled: 179

Supposedly this test is notoriously easy. I took a 4-day weekend for.... absolutely no reason whatsoever, but I went 56/56 on Method-Argument drilling this morning and seemed to be in good form. Averaging a 178 over my last 5 PTs; let's get this over with.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 pm

isuperserial wrote:

I don't want to be "most people". Most people suck.
TITCR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote: (#14, it's almost impressive how badly I misread this question)
It's a legit tough question - I'm curious, did you go with B?

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Yup. It is a bit confusing, but I completely missed the point that the arguments were trying to make.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue May 28, 2013 5:39 pm

I really need some help/advice from you guys. I'd appreciate anything at this point, I'm sort of losing it.

I just got home from the hospital. Several hours ago, a mechanic at a corp mechanic company, as he was exiting my car to let me in, must've left it on neutral, while I was crossing in between my parked car and another parked car. When he got out, my car rolled forward and pinned my legs & knees between the two cars. He got back in to back up, but I think he accidentally hit the gas, because it went faster. I was stuck there between my moving car & the parked car for about 30 seconds easy. Anyway. Point being, I'm on crutches now and can't walk and, as you can imagine, in a lot of pain.

Considering the LSAT is less than two weeks away, I'm freaking out. I'm arguing with my doctor about pain medications. Yes, it hurts like I just got ran over by a car -ha ha- but if I take them, I'd be too loopy to study. I'm PTing at about 170-172, though I was really hoping for a 175+. Should I suck it up, take off from work (not like I have much of a choice now), study for these two weeks, and take the June LSAT? Or should I cut my losses and take October? Or.. take June anyway and prepare for October? (I assume this situation is good enough for a why-did-my-score-jump addendum.)

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm

PT64:

LG (exp) -4
LR1: -3
LG: -1
LR2: -3
RC: -5

89/101 for 171.

Not upset with my score, but I'm really super disappointed in LG and LR. Prior to this test I had at least 6 or 7 LRs in a row where I didn't get less than 2 wrong. LG is just inexcusable, misreading rules and barely finishing on time. I really didn't bring my A game today and I'm upset at myself for it. A couple mistakes were just LOL worthy. Happy with my RC improvement though.

To be fair though, I sincerely thought LR2 on 64 was the hardest LR section in the 60s to this point.
Last edited by Ambitious1 on Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Ixiion wrote:I really need some help/advice from you guys. I'd appreciate anything at this point, I'm sort of losing it.

I just got home from the hospital. Several hours ago, a mechanic at a corp mechanic company, as he was exiting my car to let me in, must've left it on neutral, while I was crossing in between my parked car and another parked car. When he got out, my car rolled forward and pinned my legs & knees between the two cars. He got back in to back up, but I think he accidentally hit the gas, because it went faster. I was stuck there between my moving car & the parked car for about 30 seconds easy. Anyway. Point being, I'm on crutches now and can't walk and, as you can imagine, in a lot of pain.

Considering the LSAT is less than two weeks away, I'm freaking out. I'm arguing with my doctor about pain medications. Yes, it hurts like I just got ran over by a car -ha ha- but if I take them, I'd be too loopy to study. I'm PTing at about 170-172, though I was really hoping for a 175+. Should I suck it up, take off from work (not like I have much of a choice now), study for these two weeks, and take the June LSAT? Or should I cut my losses and take October? Or.. take June anyway and prepare for October? (I assume this situation is good enough for a why-did-my-score-jump addendum.)
That's really shitty. I would wait until October.

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Ixiion wrote:I really need some help/advice from you guys. I'd appreciate anything at this point, I'm sort of losing it.

Anytime you are less than 100%, your score could suffer as a result. I am not making excuses for the 159 I had in February, but having the flu and feeling like shit didn't really help my cause. If this is your first go with the LSAT it could be worth a shot, but it really depends on whether you think you'll be mentally 100% for that day.

Anyways man the situation sounds horrible and I hope you recover quickly.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 pm

That's terrible. This is your first test, right? I think ambitious has the right idea. In that case, I would continue to study and if you're PTs can get back into the 170s before test day, I'd probably take the test. You have a good addendum either way, so a lesser score wouldn't be terrible. However, If your not PTing back in the 170s right before June 10, I wouldn't take it, since it would essentially be wasting a test. Also, if you already have one score you aren't happy with, I would probably push back to October.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully things work out one way or another and you get your 170+.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm

I just finished SP C, one of my final 2-3 untouched PTs. I ended up with a 173, but the LGs really hurt me.

173 / 91 (-10)
LG: -4 (-3 on LG 2 :( )
LR: -0
LR: -2
RC: -4

I actually felt with my performance in LGs this time, and I was very surprised to see that I ended up with -3 on LG2. I thought LG4 was pretty weird, but I only got a -1 on that.

For those that have taken SP C before, did the LG feel strange to you? Game 1 seemed unusually "open" for a first game, although once I figured it out it wasn't very difficult. Apparently Game 2 really screwed me up, and I'll review it in a bit. Game 3 was pretty standard, but Game 4 seemed very difficult to diagram. I only had about 7 minutes to do Game 4 though, so maybe that's why it looked so difficult to me.
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Tue May 28, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:That's really shitty. I would wait until October.
Ambitious1 wrote:Anytime you are less than 100%, your score could suffer as a result. I am not making excuses for the 159 I had in February, but having the flu and feeling like shit didn't really help my cause. If this is your first go with the LSAT it could be worth a shot, but it really depends on whether you think you'll be mentally 100% for that day.

Anyways man the situation sounds horrible and I hope you recover quickly.
SteelPenguin wrote:That's terrible. This is your first test, right? I think ambitious has the right idea. In that case, I would continue to study and if you're PTs can get back into the 170s before test day, I'd probably take the test. You have a good addendum either way, so a lesser score wouldn't be terrible. However, If your not PTing back in the 170s right before June 10, I wouldn't take it, since it would essentially be wasting a test. Also, if you already have one score you aren't happy with, I would probably push back to October.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully things work out one way or another and you get your 170+.
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. Waiting on an MRI tomorrow & more x-rays to tell me just how bad this is. Oh well. This is my first test, so I think I'm going to do exactly that. Screw the pain meds-- just going to keep studying as if June is 100%, and if my last, say, 2-3 PTs before the 10th aren't at or above 172, I'll just cut my losses and go for Oct.

Thanks for the advice.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Tue May 28, 2013 6:13 pm

If I was you I'd push to October, but whatever the case, good luck Ixiion.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 pm

I would wait until October. Also, damn. Ouch.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Damn that really does suck. It's awesome that you're even considering June; you sound like a tough kid! But I agree with everyone that Oct. is probably your best bet at this point. Good Luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”