JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NoWorries

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by NoWorries » Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm

So do we just fill in the SS#, DOB, and Gender on the admission ticket? How about the test center info? Mine is blank.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun May 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I have memorized the proctor's instructions accidentally. Simugator 1, TheMostDangerousLG -1.

westjr

New

Post by westjr » Sun May 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Ixiion wrote:
NoWorries wrote:
jmjm wrote:Can the filled mark in answer-sheet go out of circle space a bit or only about three-fourth filled?
I wonder if we can slightly erase/correct answer choices after we are done with the section. Is this allowed or do we need to make sure our bubbles are perfect before time is called?
Sadly I watched a proctoring vid and they explicitly say you are not allowed to touch the bubbles in the earlier sections. Now, how they would actively enforce that, I don't know.
Remember that RC passage about the utility theory of punishment? The view consolidated two ostensibly opposing theories and basically said that people weigh their unlawful actions based upon the difference of the expected utility of being caught and punished and the expected utility of succeeding. I think it's a pretty good way to look at this scenario. The costs just don't outweigh the benefits of breaking LSACs rules.
But really, what are the chances they would actually catch you bubbling a little in an earlier section?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun May 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I just noticed something in my analogy and conclusion earlier. In this case, the costs far outweigh the benefits of breaking LSACs rules. That's what I meant to say.

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 pm

westjr wrote: But really, what are the chances they would actually catch you bubbling a little in an earlier section?

As an ethical consideration, you agree to follow LSAC's policy when taking the test. Part of that is not going back to earlier answer choices. You would be giving yourself an unfair advantage by going back like that, relative to other test takers. Breach of contract is generally not a good way to start a legal career.

And, if you are caught, you will be kicked out of the testing center; if you apply to law school you'll have to explain why you cheated on the LSAT your first time around. Even if a school lets you in, which I doubt, it would come up on your C&F when you go to take the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun May 26, 2013 9:47 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:
westjr wrote: But really, what are the chances they would actually catch you bubbling a little in an earlier section?

As an ethical consideration, you agree to follow LSAC's policy when taking the test. Part of that is not going back to earlier answer choices. You would be giving yourself an unfair advantage by going back like that, relative to other test takers. Breach of contract is generally not a good way to start a legal career.

And, if you are caught, you will be kicked out of the testing center; if you apply to law school you'll have to explain why you cheated on the LSAT your first time around. Even if a school lets you in, which I doubt, it would come up on your C&F when you go to take the bar.
Are you seriously holding that if you noticed you had forgotten to bubble in a Q in an earlier section, you wouldn't make sure to fill it in in the next section? I'm not even suggesting you flip back, I just mean guessing (and thereby giving yourself at least a chance of getting it right). You think the proctor will notice if your pencil moves two inches to the left for a two-second period during a single point in the test?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Call me crazy for doing so, but if I misbubble a section, I'll just cancel my score. Or maybe not, depending upon the magnitude of the misbubble. But I'll definitely not cheat. Not because of any moral or ethical considerations, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
nyjets2090 wrote:

Are you seriously holding that if you noticed you had forgotten to bubble in a Q in an earlier section, you wouldn't make sure to fill it in in the next section? I'm not even suggesting you flip back, I just mean guessing (and thereby giving yourself at least a chance of getting it right). You think the proctor will notice if your pencil moves two inches to the left for a two-second period during a single point in the test?
Agreed. I wouldn't think twice about it.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Call me crazy for doing so, but if I misbubble a section, I'll just cancel my score. Or maybe not, depending upon the magnitude of the misbubble. But I'll definitely not cheat. Not because of any moral or ethical considerations, I just don't think it's worth the risk.
I'll cancel my score if I don't get to a game in LG or passage on RC (unless everyone has issues and therefore the curve will be really really generous).

If I misbubble, I'd cancel as well and be so pissed.

BUT THAT'S NOT HAPPENING FOR ANY OF US, WE'RE ALL ROCKING THIS THING IN 350 HOURS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun May 26, 2013 10:14 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Call me crazy for doing so, but if I misbubble a section, I'll just cancel my score. Or maybe not, depending upon the magnitude of the misbubble. But I'll definitely not cheat. Not because of any moral or ethical considerations, I just don't think it's worth the risk.
I'll cancel my score if I don't get to a game in LG or passage on RC (unless everyone has issues and therefore the curve will be really really generous).

BUT THAT'S NOT HAPPENING FOR ANY OF US, WE'RE ALL ROCKING THIS THING IN 350 HOURS.
How would you know you misbubbled?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:

How would you know you misbubbled?
I guess the chance exists that I'd never realize it and be fucked.... but I mean if it's the end of the section, I get to #26, finish it, and then realize that I just bubbled in #25 or something, and have no time to fix it.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun May 26, 2013 10:19 pm

If I made an obvious but severe error, like bubbling 30 bubbles in a section. Or only bubbling 20 bubbles. And lets assume I finish the section, because I haven't had timing issues in a while. If I did one of those two, I'd just look down, smile and walk straight out of the test center and into the nearest bar.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:350 HOURS.
Oh god, it's so soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:

Yes, that is how I grade a practice test.

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 pm

I think you guys are all just taking the extreme examples. What if you are just erasing an answer from the section before because it might be a little too far outside of the bubble? Or fully filling in one which isn't quite perfect?

jmjm

Bronze

pt-2 sec-2 (lr) #24

Post by jmjm » Mon May 27, 2013 12:45 am

pt-2 sec-2 (lr) #24
The credited AC in this last question in LR section seems to go against a premise ("most of them hold political views that're less insightful than those of any reasonably well educated person who's not an artist"). "most" may include "all" and therefore E could be false.
Any ideas why TCR? It seems unreal lsac could be testing anything meaningful framing question this way.
Last edited by jmjm on Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Silver

Re: pt-2 sec-2 (lr) #24

Post by Daily_Double » Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 am

jmjm wrote:The credited AC in this last question in LR section seems to go against a premise ("most of them hold political views that're less insightful than those of any reasonably well educated person who's not an artist"). "most" may include "all" and therefore E could be false.
Any ideas why TCR? It seems unreal lsac could be testing anything meaningful framing question this way.
You're going to have to be more specific. For example, something including the PT#, and S#, would be helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 am

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 am

nyjets2090 wrote:

Honestly, like Cardozo, I probably wouldn't think twice. I'd guess and fill in the bubble - there is just no way in hell that they'd be able to tell. But then, after I got home, I'd spend hours agonizing over that one bubble - was it the one question that'll knock my grade down from a score I want to one I don't want? And, if I/you/etc didn't cancel, and I got my score, and it was lower, you know damn well all of us would be like THAT DAMN BUBBLE, I SHOULD'VE CANCELED.

In the end, I'd probably cancel & retake. Not at ALL because of ethical concerns, sorry, that's silly. But because that one bubble, say it's in section 1 -- that can F up your entire confidence for the rest of the test, if you're like me, and/or a part of your mind would keep thinking about it & distract you from the rest of the test.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 27, 2013 11:02 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:350 HOURS.
Oh god, it's so soon.
Yeah, I don't like seeing it phrased like that.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 am

wtrcoins3 wrote: WE'RE ALL ROCKING THIS THING IN 350 HOURS. half a month

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote: WE'RE ALL ROCKING THIS THING IN 350 HOURS. half a month

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Mon May 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Do you guys think it would be too late to buy yet another review book? I'm considering getting the eBook of Manhattan's Reading Comprehension guide. I've been drilling Reading Comp for days and, although I believe I've come to some significant breakthroughs in the section, I'm still getting -6 or -7, even though I'm capable of much higher. RC is the only thing keeping me from a 170 at this point.

With 11 days of effective studying left, would it be irrelevant to buy the extra Manhattan guide? I've been using Manhattan for LR and Powerscore for LG.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 pm

PT 48
180!!!
LR: -0 finished with 2-3 minutes to go
LG: -0 finished with 8 minutes to go
RC: -1 finished with 45 seconds
LR: -0 finished with 2 or so minutes
100/101

Even though I vaguely recognized the first LG and around 4 LR questions, I'm very excited!
I'm still inconsistent in RC, and I am still struggling with timing on a few games, but I believe I'm peaking at the right time.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm

patfeeney wrote:Do you guys think it would be too late to buy yet another review book? I'm considering getting the eBook of Manhattan's Reading Comprehension guide. I've been drilling Reading Comp for days and, although I believe I've come to some significant breakthroughs in the section, I'm still getting -6 or -7, even though I'm capable of much higher. RC is the only thing keeping me from a 170 at this point.

With 11 days of effective studying left, would it be irrelevant to buy the extra Manhattan guide? I've been using Manhattan for LR and Powerscore for LG.
Are you working at all, or is this the only thing you have to do? I think that the Manhattan RC can realistically be completed in 2 days, and it did help my understanding of RC, even if I am still inconsistent with it. I think you would need to have it finished before the 1 week mark though.

For LG, I would be a little hesitant to change strategies so close to the test, but for RC it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”