JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nyjets2090

Bronze

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by nyjets2090 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Oct 2010 LSAT,

LR1: -2
LR2: -2
RC: -1
LG: -3

Take aways:

Thought I bombed this test before I graded it. RC seemed very easy on this one, LR made me think and I changed a few answers (correctly) on the final section. Games were straightforward on second look, at first though I was convinced I bombed this section. I won't say too much in case somebody hasn't taken this one yet.

I'll say it again, never let a section of the test bother you. You'll have plenty of time to think about that crap after the test. I thought I bombed the LGs (-12 or -13) and it almost threw me off. Not only did I do pretty well on the games (I'm still aiming for -0 on game day), I didn't let it throw me off on the LR.

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I just took PT 50. and i bombed. I tried a new strategy of doing the second half of LR in the beginning, but that was an epic fail. I killed the LG section, but i totalled buttfucked the LR and RC. I do not know how to improve RC. at least with LR when i review the next day i learn from them, but RC is still foreign to me. I guess I should finish the MLSAT RC book, ehh?

Anyway, I have a question for everyone here. What is the downside of taking the June LSAT with the backup plan of taking the October if you dont score well enough (beside financial of course). I want a 170 (So does everyone right!?lol) but my best composite through all the PT's I've taken is only a 167, granted I've only taken 3 PT's, but still its a little disconcerting when you take your best sections from any sitting and still come up short. I have 18 more PT's left to take between now and the Sit date, so i feel like every test i take i learn something from. Like this most recent disaster (153?!), when my last test was only disappointing (159) to say the least.

I know now to start with LR number 1, not 14. But aside from that, I can only hope that my score will slowly rise. I have 18 sittings to fine tune, or actually tune up my lsat game. Can it be done? IDK, am I going to try? Absolutely.
It's still too early to decide whether or not to push to October, if you are not scoring +/-3 of your target two weeks before the test, then you should seriously consider waiting.

The decision to go Oct vs June is not as big as deciding Oct v Dec. I do know that Boalt is one of the few T14s that outright says that earlier applicants are favored and they do fill up a portion of their class before Thanksgiving, so that's something to consider if you're looking to apply there. Most schools don't have a noticeable difference between June and Oct scores though. If you're looking to ED anywhere, then October will be fine.

I've gone a bit off topic. Short answer, if you think you can score 2 points or better on a later test, then wait.

Bosh

New

Post by Bosh » Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 pm

I have done about 5 PTs and believe me I started at 137 then to 155 then to 160 and my recent one which I just finished I scored 160.

Recent pt 55 (Oct 08)

LR: -8
RC: -10
LR: -5
LG: 0

Raw score: 77

I tend to panic whenever I take the test just because it is timed. Also I lose my concentration easily thus my first score being a 137. I figured these two reasons are the only thing that is stopping me from hitting a 170+
Can someone help me? I have been studying since February. I have the drilled a lot, well not too much of RC though and neither LR to my satisfaction though. But I am working on both sections to do better.
Btw, I always finish each section right on time but I always feel rushed so I lose my concentration especially on LR sections.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Been drilling individual sections (timed) from preptests 29-38. For LR sections, I've been averaging -3 to -5 per section, and when I drill, I take them consecutively, if that matters. Before the recent drilling, I was averaging between -6 to -8 per section, so the improvement is encouraging. For LG sections, I've been averaging between -1 and -3. And for RC, out of only the two I've drilled over the past week, I got -4 on both (did those consecutively). With those averages, I'm just under 170 or right about at it, depending on the variables.

When it comes to RC, I've had hardly any prep. A couple untimed sections and the two timed sections I've done have been it. After some more LR and RC drilling/review, I've got to take another preptest. I've only taken one (scored 160) and that was a couple weeks ago. I suspect that taking preptests in the 52-61 area makes sense. I also have the two most recent issued LSATs to work with. I figure that using the last month to just do preptests/review is appropriate.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Including this one, we've got 6 weekends til LSAT weekend left. Y'all cutting back on... Having fun.. Yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm

We got this guys. Main thing is to just relax. I still have a lot of trouble getting to the final passage of RC but w.e. just gonna try to iron that out in the next few weeks

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Including this one, we've got 6 weekends til LSAT weekend left. Y'all cutting back on... Having fun.. Yet?

Slow and steady. I have taken a PT every Saturday and every Sunday since the middle of February. I drill about 2-3 PTs worth of material throughout the week when I can, depending on how work is going. No intentions of changing my pace. The biggest change this time vs. my first take is when I'm not doing LSAT, I don't think about LSAT.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:53 am

nyjets2090 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I just took PT 50. and i bombed. I tried a new strategy of doing the second half of LR in the beginning, but that was an epic fail. I killed the LG section, but i totalled buttfucked the LR and RC. I do not know how to improve RC. at least with LR when i review the next day i learn from them, but RC is still foreign to me. I guess I should finish the MLSAT RC book, ehh?

Anyway, I have a question for everyone here. What is the downside of taking the June LSAT with the backup plan of taking the October if you dont score well enough (beside financial of course). I want a 170 (So does everyone right!?lol) but my best composite through all the PT's I've taken is only a 167, granted I've only taken 3 PT's, but still its a little disconcerting when you take your best sections from any sitting and still come up short. I have 18 more PT's left to take between now and the Sit date, so i feel like every test i take i learn something from. Like this most recent disaster (153?!), when my last test was only disappointing (159) to say the least.

I know now to start with LR number 1, not 14. But aside from that, I can only hope that my score will slowly rise. I have 18 sittings to fine tune, or actually tune up my lsat game. Can it be done? IDK, am I going to try? Absolutely.
It's still too early to decide whether or not to push to October, if you are not scoring +/-3 of your target two weeks before the test, then you should seriously consider waiting.

The decision to go Oct vs June is not as big as deciding Oct v Dec. I do know that Boalt is one of the few T14s that outright says that earlier applicants are favored and they do fill up a portion of their class before Thanksgiving, so that's something to consider if you're looking to apply there. Most schools don't have a noticeable difference between June and Oct scores though. If you're looking to ED anywhere, then October will be fine.

I've gone a bit off topic. Short answer, if you think you can score 2 points or better on a later test, then wait.
Thanks, but my question was really, is there a downside of taking June with the intention of taking october, except monetary costs obviously. Since schools take the highest score, wouldn't it be a good idea to try in June if I have been studying what i think is sufficiently.

Also, is drilling straight 3's and 4's from cambridge going to help me do easier problems too? I planned on doing all the 3's and 4's of my weaknesses for LR this weekend and then kick into 3 PT's a week (as opposed to my original plan of a consistent 4 PT's a week.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 am

mvonh001 wrote: if I have been studying what i think is sufficiently.
If you honestly think you've studied sufficiently then there's no downside. Don't take if you're not ready. If you think you're ready and you think there's a good chance you hit your target score, then I would take June with October being the back up. My 2 cents

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 am

thanks. any info regarding my question about cambridge packets drilling?
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote: if I have been studying what i think is sufficiently.
If you honestly think you've studied sufficiently then there's no downside. Don't take if you're not ready. If you think you're ready and you think there's a good chance you hit your target score, then I would take June with October being the back up. My 2 cents

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 am

177-174-176-177-173-173-173

Last 7 PTs, respectively. I've really slacked off these past three weeks, and it's shown in my PTs. Had a -2 on LG for the first time since February, yesterday. You really have to be in peak form to ace LR, and it seems like even a week without drilling makes me get sloppy.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sat May 04, 2013 8:41 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:177-174-176-177-173-173-173

Last 7 PTs, respectively. I've really slacked off these past three weeks, and it's shown in my PTs. Had a -2 on LG for the first time since February, yesterday. You really have to be in peak form to ace LR, and it seems like even a week without drilling makes me get sloppy.
Yes... I was so shocked by how sloppy I got after my 8-9 days off. Missing early LR questions, taking too long on LG, etc. etc.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 am

Man 8 or 9 days off? I feel guilty if I take only 1 day off haha.. I think I deserve it today though. I was struggling with LR yesterday morning but cleaned it up with some mastery drilling sessions. It's all about being the right mind state and answering your questions calmly and confidently. We can get whatever score we desire, just habe to be in the right mind state

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am

*have

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Sat May 04, 2013 10:50 am

I'm doing the online Powerscore weekend class, just for review, and my goodness...

They have a chat where you can talk with other students and ask questions, etc. Half in the class (25) are BRAND NEW to the LSAT. Then some of the questions they are asking are stunning.

It blows my mind these people are taking the LSAT in June...

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Sat May 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Have scored -3,-2 and -2 on my last three RC sections (preptests 34-36), which is down from the -6 I got on the diagnostic. I found the 2nd and 3rd passages in 36 very difficult, which forced me to rush through the last passage. The two wrong were from the aforementioned difficult passages.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Sat May 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Just switched from pt 45 to mid 50 pts. i went from -3 lr average to around -6. I'm hoping this is just a case of "getting used" to later pt's and i see improvement soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Have not checked in here in a while, but my progress is getting better.

Correct me if I am wrong but do you find one of the two LR sections to be generally easier than the other? The last two PTs I've looked at, I've had ones with tons of questions about flaws and necessary/sufficient, strengthen and weaken questions and then others where it's just absolute questions and less flaw and more parallel questions.

I am aiming for 20 right on each LR. Reading Comp and Logic Games, I'm getting roughly four to eight wrong on RC and one to two wrong on LG. So I'm in good shape there. It's the LR that's been continuing to bug the hell out of me.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm

I need advice on how to review wrong questions in the RC section. For some reason I'm consistently going -9, but I don't know how to improve like I have in LR. I think what confuses me the most is the lack of consistency in question types.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 pm

PrepTest 53- 07

LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -1
RC -2

This test was really easy I thought, with the exception of the RC which may have been the most difficult RC thus far. Really threw me for a loop, I actually went back and changed a few answers (I almost never do this for RC) and if I didn't, i would be looking at a like -6. Oof. And it was really the first two passages, thats where my 2 errors were, and where 2 more of the 4 that I changed ended up being.

This was also my first perfect LG so that's exciting. I knew as I was taking it I was diagramming everything perfect and it felt good :)

Anyone else think this RC was crazy though?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm

So I've gone through the first 300 or so Manhattan LG pages this week, and I'm very happy with it. Their sequencing is much cleaner than power score, and I think the grouping in/out charts will be fantastic when I get used to them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat May 04, 2013 5:58 pm

okaygo wrote:I need advice on how to review wrong questions in the RC section. For some reason I'm consistently going -9, but I don't know how to improve like I have in LR. I think what confuses me the most is the lack of consistency in question types.
I struggle reviewing this too. I vary between -1 and -5 with no real consistency.. I'm hoping the Manhattan book helps.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Something I'm thinking of doing to build mastery skills is take an un timed practice test and go through every answer when finished.. 3 days later, timed practice test with some slight drilling 2 days before

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Took PT 60 today. Scored a bit better than I had last week (still down from how I was doing a few weeks ago), but I felt way off. I took the test starting at 4 PM after a pretty busy late morning/afternoon beforehand, so that probably contributed.

MrBlueSky!

New

Post by MrBlueSky! » Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Last edited by MrBlueSky! on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”