JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
armenazo

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by armenazo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:42 am

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 am

Did a timed LG session on PT 1, -1 with 40 minutes.

Glad to see that I can do pure sequencing game within 5 minutes.

But I assume this LG is a little bit easier.

Will do a untimed section on PT 3 RC passages, I will analyze using BP's approach as well.

sesame026

New

Post by sesame026 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
sesame026 wrote:Can anyone help me out here? I am now in China and i can not open the blogpost about the six-month prep plan. Can anyone just post it here? A million thanks :)
PM me your email address, and I'll send you the free 6-month week-by-week plan. And get a VPN! :)
that is so nice of you.
I have PMed you. and I will try a VPN

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
cynthiad wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
cynthiad wrote:Try out his free week-by-week study schedule. If you need more structure but you like the schedule, then buy the day-by-day one. I just used the free one and got by fine, IMHO it's better to have a more flexible schedule, because everyone's school/work/other stuff schedule is different.
Even the day-by-day one (the six-month version, at least) has a lot of flexibility built into it, because about half of the days are "off" days with no assignments. It's pretty easy to stay on schedule by doing assignments a day early or a day late if you need to work around other things in your life.
Probably true. But if you're switching uUp the days anyway, why not just use the week-by-week? That way you can pick your own off days and study days. Why pay for day-by-day when you're really going to be designing your own day-by-day, not using his? I mean, it could certainly be valuable for someone who wants more structure in their test prep and has the flexibility to schedule other stuff around LSAT prep.

But if the week-by-week tells you to do X,Y,and Z in Week 1, the day-by-day tells you to X on Monday, Y on Thursday and Z on Saturday, and you only have time to study on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday, then you're not getting any added value from the day-by-day.
There's a lot more detail in the day-to-day calendar; it's not just the same verbiage as the week-by-week calendar split up into 168 different lines.
This is true. I didn't just divide the week-by-week plan by 7. The day-by-day plan is primarily useful for the level of detail it offers, rather than the particular day-by-day breakdown of work. And I built in some "off days," in part, so it's easy to modify the plan according to your other obligations (work, school, life, etc.).

I covered the differences in my blog post describing the day-by-day plan. However, if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 am

Will be taking the LSAT for the first time in June. My un-timed diagnostic scores are high (~174) but I know that I will need to work extremely hard to shave off those last few points.

If anyone is in the same boat, I'd be happy to be their study partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

quigglyboom wrote:Will be taking the LSAT for the first time in June. My un-timed diagnostic scores are high (~174) but I know that I will need to work extremely hard to shave off those last few points.

If anyone is in the same boat, I'd be happy to be their study partner.
Wow impressive. How long did it take you to complete each section?

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

As I said, I was not timing my progress. My gut tells me that I was completing the LR and RC sections faster than 35 minutes. The LG sections was taking much much much longer.

However, I must stress, this was the most relaxed situation I could possibly give myself. I was taking breaks half way through sections, grabbing bites to eat, walking around, petting my dog etc etc.

In short, there was no pressure on me at all. So, on the one hand, I know that I can do the test. (Or at least, the 1991 version of it). On the other hand, I need to work to translate that theoretical potential into test day delivery.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:59 pm

quigglyboom wrote:As I said, I was not timing my progress. My gut tells me that I was completing the LR and RC sections faster than 35 minutes. The LG sections was taking much much much longer.

However, I must stress, this was the most relaxed situation I could possibly give myself. I was taking breaks half way through sections, grabbing bites to eat, walking around, petting my dog etc etc.

In short, there was no pressure on me at all. So, on the one hand, I know that I can do the test. (Or at least, the 1991 version of it). On the other hand, I need to work to translate that theoretical potential into test day delivery.
Others have said it's a good idea to time the ones on which you aren't limiting your time. I've been priming myself with a game, RC passage or LR section here and there, and I write whatever time it took on the top of the page with how many I missed and the date. I've been petting my dog and glancing at birds outside my window too, but eventually I want to be able to take it at a baseball game and finish 5 minutes under to compensate for test jitters. It will be nice to know I was 10 minutes over at first from just being around a dog.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
quigglyboom wrote:As I said, I was not timing my progress. My gut tells me that I was completing the LR and RC sections faster than 35 minutes. The LG sections was taking much much much longer.

Others have said it's a good idea to time the ones on which you aren't limiting your time. I've been priming myself with a game, RC passage or LR section here and there, and I write whatever time it took on the top of the page with how many I missed and the date. I've been petting my dog and glancing at birds outside my window too, but eventually I want to be able to take it at a baseball game and finish 5 minutes under to compensate for test jitters. It will be nice to know I was 10 minutes over at first from just being around a dog.
I do this as well, good way to track your progress. Also, I bought the day to day study sched from LSAT Blog just to provide some structure to my prep. Did Day 1 yesterday and finished all the Pure Sequencing games in 6 - 8 minutes and went -0 on each; pure sequencing and basic linear are my strengths so I should be going -0 with time to spare. I started the Manhattan LG guide 3rd edition yesterday and damn it is WAY more comprehensive than the 2nd edition. Plan on reading more of that today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Got my Manhattan LSAT LG/LR/RC books and PT 51-66 in the mail yesterday! Time to get cracking! Are you guys just trying to read through the books quickly and then doing a PT every day or what? I am trying to figure out how to apply pithypike's guide to the MLSAT books.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Cambridge list of 400 most difficult LR questions? A worthwhile investment?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:20 pm

quigglyboom wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Cambridge list of 400 most difficult LR questions? A worthwhile investment?
The one with the triangle? Link?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sosa

New

Post by sosa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Hey guys,

I will be following the LSATBlog's 5 month (day by day) study plan, and am getting my supplies on Amazon as I write this.

So far these are the materials that I have in my cart:

Powerscore LGB
Powerscore LRB

-10 More Actual, Official LSAT Preptests (19-28)
-The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests (29-38)
-10 New Actual, Official LSAT Preptests (52-61)
-Individual PT's # 47,48,49,50,51,62,63,64,65,66,67
and,
-The Official LSAT Superprep

I decided to pass on the Powerscore Reading Comp Bible, but may get it later.

Am I on the right track with my materials? Am I missing anything crucial?

Thanks!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 pm

sosa wrote:Hey guys,

I will be following the LSATBlog's 5 month (day by day) study plan, and am getting my supplies on Amazon as I write this.

Powerscore LGB
Powerscore LRB

and,

Thanks!
Seems like a solid start. You'll have a better idea after you read LGB and LRB. If you haven't already, download and read this:
From TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT People Who Did Exceptionally Well on the LSAT

sosa

New

Post by sosa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Seems like a solid start. You'll have a better idea after you read LGB and LRB. If you haven't already, download and read this:
From TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT People Who Did Exceptionally Well on the LSAT
I was actually just now skimming through that after finding it in the earlier pages of this thread :lol: I'll definitely be sure to take the time to read it in depth.

Also, If after reading the LGB and LRB I do decide to add another prep book, should I be concerned with any issues of compatibility? I know some people use the Manhattan series along with Powerscore, would this be the best combo? I just would want to avoid any other books which use a different system and what not.. (As well as maintaining compatibility with LSATBlog)

(All this pre-prep stuff can get confusing lol)

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:17 pm

sosa wrote:

I was actually just now skimming through that after finding it in the earlier pages of this thread :lol: I'll definitely be sure to take the time to read it in depth.

Also, If after reading the LGB and LRB I do decide to add another prep book, should I be concerned with any issues of compatibility? I know some people use the Manhattan series along with Powerscore, would this be the best combo? I just would want to avoid any other books which use a different system and what not.. (As well as maintaining compatibility with LSATBlog)

(All this pre-prep stuff can get confusing lol)
Yeah, that is a problem sometimes. I don't know what kind of logic symbols you use, but everyone seems to do it differently. Just tailor your approach to whatever you can personally do better with and be able to translate on the fly when you read prep stuff. As this thread builds, I'd be interested in seeing what everyone is doing. Maybe we can compile a master cheat sheet or something with everyones input.

ETA:
You might find some useful LSAT info here too:
Great New LSAT Articles on TLS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:33 pm

sosa wrote:Hey guys,

Powerscore LGB
Powerscore LRB

and,

Thanks!
I ordered Manhattan Logical Reasong based on the good reviews here in TLS, and amazon's review concludes that this is a must have for people who are targeting 170+. By far LG is my strongest section, I can do LG within 40 minute with 0 or -1, but I know I have to cut down at least 8 minute to fill the answer sheet. I'll start with LR bible first, then move to Manhattan.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Ugh - did a LG problem this afternoon, felt like it went fine, but I ended up missing four out of seven. Turns out, I had mis-read a rule as "X and Y must play before Z" instead of "X and Y must play AFTER Z". The scariest part was that I was still able to find "correct" answers for all of the problems, so I literally had no idea anything was wrong until I checked my answers against the key.

Just a not-so-subtle reminder for me to pay attention to detail, I guess.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Ugh - did a LG problem this afternoon, felt like it went fine, but I ended up missing four out of seven. Turns out, I had mis-read a rule as "X and Y must play before Z" instead of "X and Y must play AFTER Z". The scariest part was that I was still able to find "correct" answers for all of the problems, so I literally had no idea anything was wrong until I checked my answers against the key.

Just a not-so-subtle reminder for me to pay attention to detail, I guess.
Haha same here. I do not mis-read rules, but I forget to read some rules ( or because I read too fast?) which hinder my speed a whole lot. Inadvertent is cutting me off.

sosa

New

Post by sosa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:15 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Yeah, that is a problem sometimes. I don't know what kind of logic symbols you use, but everyone seems to do it differently. Just tailor your approach to whatever you can personally do better with and be able to translate on the fly when you read prep stuff. As this thread builds, I'd be interested in seeing what everyone is doing. Maybe we can compile a master cheat sheet or something with everyones input.

ETA:
You might find some useful LSAT info here too:
Great New LSAT Articles on TLS
Thanks fort the link, Ill check it out. And about the logic symbols, as of now I have no idea what I will be using, but once I get my prep books in I'll let you guys know, and yes, the master cheat sheet sounds like a good idea :)
crazyrobin wrote:
I ordered Manhattan Logical Reasong based on the good reviews here in TLS, and amazon's review concludes that this is a must have for people who are targeting 170+. By far LG is my strongest section, I can do LG within 40 minute with 0 or -1, but I know I have to cut down at least 8 minute to fill the answer sheet. I'll start with LR bible first, then move to Manhattan.
I too have been reading great reviews about Manhattan. I just went on Amazon and checked out some of those reviews, and I must say they are quite persuasive lol. Manhattan seems to be a very good option (and a cheap one too, all three books for under $70)

I was actually planning on getting just the Manhattan RC book to add to my Powerscore books, but seeing as I can get all three MLSAT books for $66, I think I will go ahead and get the bundle and study Powerscore and Manhattan together (Along with the LSATBlog).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:49 am

rebexness wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:Got my Manhattan LSAT LG/LR/RC books and PT 51-66 in the mail yesterday! Time to get cracking! Are you guys just trying to read through the books quickly and then doing a PT every day or what? I am trying to figure out how to apply pithypike's guide to the MLSAT books.
Are those the only prep materials you have?
Yep. Is that not enough?

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am

sosa wrote: I too have been reading great reviews about Manhattan. I just went on Amazon and checked out some of those reviews, and I must say they are quite persuasive lol. Manhattan seems to be a very good option (and a cheap one too, all three books for under $70)

I was actually planning on getting just the Manhattan RC book to add to my Powerscore books, but seeing as I can get all three MLSAT books for $66, I think I will go ahead and get the bundle and study Powerscore and Manhattan together (Along with the LSATBlog).
One more thing, you can get LSAT 51.5 from LSAC, they give it for free as June 2007 LSAT.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/sampleptjune.pdf

The Platypus

New

Post by The Platypus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 am

Worried that I'm going to be starting late if I start to get serious after Christmas...or more like New Year's. Kudos for you guys for starting already. Still burnt out from the semester that I can't bring myself to do more studying.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 am

ricekrispies wrote:
Yep. Is that not enough?
I would recommend you get more PTs, I read some threads on this forum, those people who did exceptionally well on LSAT usually took about 40 PTs.
Last edited by crazyrobin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”