JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sosa

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by sosa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:37 am

crazyrobin wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:
Yep. Is that not enough?
I would recommend you get more PTs, I read some threads on this form, those people who did exceptionally well on LSAT usually took about 40 PTs.
If I may jump into this topic...

40 Full, Timed PT's?
Right now I have around 40 planned in total.
19-28 and 29-38 for drilling and 47-67 (and 68-69 when released) for Full, Timed, Preptest taking. (As well as the PT's in the Superprep)

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:23 am

sosa wrote:
If I may jump into this topic...

40 Full, Timed PT's?
Right now I have around 40 planned in total.
19-28 and 29-38 for drilling and 47-67 (and 68-69 when released) for Full, Timed, Preptest taking. (As well as the PT's in the Superprep)
I don't know if it is full timed, but 40 PTs probably is a good number to hone you over the LSAT. Again, this is what I read, you can always refer to this file, people who did exceptionally well on LSAT http://www.mediafire.com/?yg45zjnqloz

For me I have 67 PTs ( ordered 1-18 from Cambridge LSAT, $5 for each, but I only intend to practice LG and RC with PT 1-18, maybe LR if I have time ) I am afraid I may run out of materials at end of May.... :shock:

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 pm

As finals have finally come to a close...I'm beginning my LSAT bootcamp today. I originally started studying in october but when finals were creeping up LSAT went out the window and final papers and exams became the focus.

Today I feel like taking a PT, probably a really old one like 3 or 4, just to see where I'm at in comparison to a month ago. I already finish the LGB and had worked through the first parts of Manhattan's LRB...Let's see what this PT brings...horror and shame? or happiness and hope? lol....Anyone else planning on hitting the LSAT hard over winter break? Hopefully, I'll be committing like 30 hours (probably more) a week until classes start up again.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Just got Manhattan LG in the mail. Here we gooo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:32 pm

February tests are traditionally unreleased, right? So we only have one more PT to be released (68) before June.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm

quigglyboom wrote:February tests are traditionally unreleased, right? So we only have one more PT to be released (68) before June.
That is correct. I would suggest using 68 wisely, maybe take it a week or two before the administration.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 pm

slightly freaking out since december's here. probably going to have to crack open a book soon.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I usually don't have much, if any trouble, with LR, however when I see a question that gives me trouble, I have basically started using shortcuts to find the right answer. I only do this with what I consider to be complex arguments. I'll read the question, figure out what I'm being asked to find, read the argument, develop an understanding of the core of the argument and then do a quick pass of the answer choices. During this first pass I eliminate, not permanently, but just for the purposes of this first pass, the answers which are irrelevant and the answers which are worded too strongly. Usually this leaves me with two answers, one of which is right, and I have been consistently selecting the correct one. While I know this approach is flawed, not only does it cut down time, but I have also not had to make two passes through, in other words, I never eliminate the right answer on the first pass.

Has anyone else been doing this, or has anyone tried to do this on a question and gotten the question wrong as a result of eliminating the wrong answer?

For an example, see PT 33, S1, Q19. I quickly eliminated B, C, and E, leaving A and D, D was obviously the correct answer.

Sorry for the length post, and thank you guys for your help.
yes..used the same technique today for a couple lr questions and on one or two of them i swiped the correct answer on the first pass. After I finished the PT and went back over everything the mistakes became obvious (I circled the questions that I used that technique on). I guess if it works for you, you should continue doing it. I like eliminating answers the way Manhattan spells it out in their LR bible. For example, I look for answers that are completely out of scope of what the question is asking. But, understanding the core argument, I think, is essential. A lot of times I've seen in my philosophy classes people mix up an author's premise with his conclusion or think the evidence is a premise.

I finished PT 7 just a little while ago and I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised. For me at least, LR is going to be the place I need the most work. I went -6 -5 on LR -3 RC and -4 LG-->Raw Score: 83 Scaled 168....I've taken three other exams over the last month and a half and they were 155, 161, 162. Hopefully after I'm done with LRB I'll be hitting the 170s.

How's practice going with you guys?

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm joining in.

With my :roll: wonderful :roll: GPA I will need a 170+ score for T-14 or a significant scholarship.

Finished up the Manhattan Logic Games guide earlier today, will be working on Logic Reasoning for the next few days.

After that, it is PT time baby!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

CanILive wrote:I'm joining in.

With my :roll: wonderful :roll: GPA I will need a 170+ score for T-14 or a significant scholarship.

Finished up the Manhattan Logic Games guide earlier today, will be working on Logic Reasoning for the next few days.

After that, it is PT time baby!
I'm in the same boat. GPA sucks ass. A 170+ is a must if T14 is the goal, which it is. Although I'll definitely be considering T30 schools if schollys are involved.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Daily_Double wrote: Same. If my GPA were a woman, she would be unattractive and tall (upward trend). Anyone have a good excuse for their sub par GPA? Or did all of the other splitters here just have too much fun freshman and sophomore year?
I graduated a 5 year program in 4 years, all while coaching a Division-1 level sport.

Still, I am not proud of my GPA at all. My two years out of college have really let me grow up (and realize my stupidity).

sosa

New

Post by sosa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:12 pm

CanILive wrote:
I graduated a 5 year program in 4 years, all while coaching a Division-1 level sport.

Still, I am not proud of my GPA at all. My two years out of college have really let me grow up (and realize my stupidity).
Did Jay Z inspire your username? 8)

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:13 am

rebexness wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:
rebexness wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:Got my Manhattan LSAT LG/LR/RC books and PT 51-66 in the mail yesterday! Time to get cracking! Are you guys just trying to read through the books quickly and then doing a PT every day or what? I am trying to figure out how to apply pithypike's guide to the MLSAT books.
Are those the only prep materials you have?
Yep. Is that not enough?
Thats a good start, but may not be enough material to keep you going until June.
I would consider picking up the two books below:

http://www.amazon.com/More-Actual-Offic ... words=lsat

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Offic ... words=lsat

Use these for practice, drilling along with the MLSAT. Then save your Full PTs to do as timed PTS right before the test.

I think I am doing 35ish Full PTs, plus nearly 40 just for drills. But I need to bring up my score substantially, and I'm starting now. With less materials, or a higher diagnostic, you can change this substantially.
Thanks to you and everyone else who suggested I get more PT's. I will get the books you linked to once I get my next paycheck! I was originally planning on just making photocopies of the PT's I have and redoing them over and over, but I guess it makes a lot more sense to have a bunch of different ones so I don't just memorize the answers.

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Is everyone else here using LSATQA? I've been finding it very helpful for keeping track of my results.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
quigglyboom wrote:Is everyone else here using LSATQA? I've been finding it very helpful for keeping track of my results.
I'm not going to start PTs until I am finished with prep books, but I will definitely use it when I begin. That's awesome that you are already far enough along to be using it. Good luck
I'm not using PT's yet either. I've come to the realization that there are many PT's I will never have the time to do under proper circumstances, so what I've decided to do is input the first couple of PTs in bits and pieces. LSATQA makes it very easy to do this, since it keeps track of which questions you've filled in, and lets you fill in the answer sheet not all at once.

This is mostly a benchmarking exercise. I figure after I've done 5 or 6 of those I should have a better idea of where I need to dedicate my efforts.

I suppose this might impact my statistics for when I begin doing proper PTs under exam conditions, but I can delete all the tests at that point and start fresh.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:34 pm

quigglyboom wrote:Is everyone else here using LSATQA? I've been finding it very helpful for keeping track of my results.
Yup. Used it for my prep for October and it's really an amazing resource/tool which I think you'll come to find once you begin using it. I also haven't done a PT yet and am waiting to finish up my prep books before I take a baseline PT. I'm anxious to get going! Something I've decided to incorporate into my prep is the "Blind Review" method by 7Sage which I think is probably the best way overcome your weakness in LR and something I'd suggest all of us implement into our routine.

The YouTube vid explaining the method if you've yet to familiarize yourself with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJJS7BRNGI

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 pm

I checked LSATQA, so you have to punch in every answer choices???

That's a lot of work......

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:14 am

I checked LSATQA, so you have to punch in every answer choices???
That's a lot of work......
It's a lot of work, but it's not really more work:

1) Punching them in replaces looking up your answers on the answer sheet. So it's not more work, it's just different work.
2) Anything that lets you study more effectively is saving you effort in the long run.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Updates and a Tip:

While I haven't completed a timed section yet, I just completed Manhattan's "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," in 34 minutes, and scored 22/25. Considering two months ago, LG was my weakest section, I'm pretty happy with the results.

During the "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," (p284-287), there was only one section where I had to choose between Powerscore's methods and Manhattan's, PT1, S2, G1, the six trade representatives at a circular table. I think it's easier, and more straightforward to use Powerscore's method of drawing diagonal lines, the end points of which represent a seat. So six seats = three lines. Manhattan used six short horizontal lines drawn in a circle to represent each seat, which was, in my opinion more awkward.

Just a tip. As always, do whatever works for you and good luck guys.
Thanks. I like tips like this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”