JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Daily_Double

Silver

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by Daily_Double » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Daily_Double wrote: I note whenever I'm unsure, I mentally note why I am unsure. Eventually I will grade it. I note that I got a question wrong. I don't note what the correct answer is. Then I go back to the problems I'm unsure about and the ones I got wrong, usually there is a large overlap between the two. I figure out why the answer I selected was not the correct answer. I write a solution to the problem, then I check my solution against answers online, Manhattan, 7sage, etc. and against the problem's credited answer.

I think noting the correct answer then going back to the problem is a flawed approach. Anyone with a basic understanding of the LSAT can go back, knowing the correct answer, and give a decent reason of why that answer is correct, but it takes more to go back and figure out why you did what you did, what you should have done, and then to evaluate yourself based on what the answer actually is.
So in other words, re-do the whole test again but more slowly and methodically?

Looks like this will require a lot of patience and extra time.
If you assume that one is unsure in some amount on every question or the combination of uncertainty and errors consumes the whole test, then yes, if you followed my method, then you would redo the test again. However, this assumption is not a valid one if one has done the conceptual work and a decent amount of drilling.

Maybe for a short time it will require a lot of patience and extra time. But eventually it will not, maybe still patience I guess, but definitely not both, because the amount of mistakes will decrease.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 pm

For those interested in the blind review method, 7Sage has a video series on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJJS7BRNGI

Very similar to what you are describing, DD. I think the bottom line here is you should be reviewing before you see the credited response.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks to all for responding and sharing your insight. I will check that video out.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm

MAF, missed on an LG question today because I'm dumb and was rushing

PT 40:

LR1: -1 (#19)
LG: -1 (#17)
LR2: -1 (#14)
RC: -5 (#8, #18, #20, #26, #27)

Raw: 93 Scaled: 172

eta: there were people discussing something in my room as i began the RC section. took 3 sections straight, 5 min break, RC section last.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

armedwithamind wrote:MAF, missed on an LG question today because I'm dumb and was rushing

PT 40:

eta: there were people discussing something in my room as i began the RC section. took 3 sections straight, 5 min break, RC section last.

I thought we weren't taking 40 until the 13th? Did the PT schedule get blown up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

deputydog wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:MAF, missed on an LG question today because I'm dumb and was rushing

PT 40:

I thought we weren't taking 40 until the 13th? Did the PT schedule get blown up?
it got blown up, see OP.

eta: i'm not really following a set schedule because my schedule is very hectic so I PT when i have blocks of time i can sit down (rarely)

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:

PT 40:

it got blown up, see OP.

eta: i'm not really following a set schedule because my schedule is very hectic so I PT when i have blocks of time i can sit down (rarely)
Gotcha, I'll still follow the schedule so if you need review help or whatever, let me know.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 pm

deputydog wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:

PT 40:

it got blown up, see OP.

Gotcha, I'll still follow the schedule so if you need review help or whatever, let me know.
ty brother, same to you.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Checking in because I wasn't able to this weekend.

Did PT38 just now under strict timed conditions, with noise and shit and all.

To this point, I have only studied LG. I haven't looked at or touched one LR or RC book, ever (unless you count Kaplan like forever ago half-assed). Mostly because those are my strong suits and I suck at games. So here's the breakdown -

LR: -3
LG: -0 (stoked though I'd seen two of the games before but over a month ago so I was doing the stimuli from scratch with no recollection of how I did it prior)
RC: -5 (so pissed at this)
LR: -4

Raw: 89
Missed because of completely stupid mistakes (right conclusion but wrong circle, etc): 3
Raw adjusted to make me feel better: 92

Actual score: 171
Score adjusted to make me feel better: 174

Gunning for dat 99th percentile (173) so I'm close and within range.

Keep pushing folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Checking in because I wasn't able to this weekend.

Did PT38 just now under strict timed conditions, with noise and shit and all.

To this point, I have only studied LG. I haven't looked at or touched one LR or RC book, ever (unless you count Kaplan like forever ago half-assed). Mostly because those are my strong suits and I suck at games. So here's the breakdown -

LR: -3
LG: -0 (stoked though I'd seen two of the games before but over a month ago so I was doing the stimuli from scratch with no recollection of how I did it prior)
RC: -5 (so pissed at this)
LR: -4

Raw: 89
Missed because of completely stupid mistakes (right conclusion but wrong circle, etc): 3
Raw adjusted to make me feel better: 92

Actual score: 171
Score adjusted to make me feel better: 174

Gunning for dat 99th percentile (173) so I'm close and within range.

Keep pushing folks.
NOICE, IIRC i remember seeing you poast that you are an URM? if so, 171 is golden for you

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

armedwithamind wrote:NOICE, IIRC i remember seeing you poast that you are an URM? if so, 171 is golden for you
Yes indeed. AA male URM, 3.6x/170 - retaking in June. Thanks but frankly I'd be pissed if I got a 171.

First time I took it I didn't know about this site or any of the prep materials. I had only studied that awful Kaplan book and did about 5 or 6 PTs. So this time I want at least a 3+ point boost. Especially if HYS and academia is to become little more than a pipe dream.

Or you could just toss me one of your 180s lol
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:NOICE, IIRC i remember seeing you poast that you are an URM? if so, 171 is golden for you
Yes indeed. AA male URM, 3.6x/170 - retaking in June. Thanks but frankly be pissed if I got a 171.

First time I took it I didn't know about this site or any of the prep materials. I had only studied that awful Kaplan book and did about 5 or 6 PTs. So this time I want at least a 3+ point boost. Especially if HYS and academia is to become little more than a pipe dream.

unfortunately no legitimate 180...yet.

in the meantime, how do you feel about swapping your 3.6x for my 2.7x?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Yes indeed. AA male URM, 3.6x/170 - retaking in June. Thanks but frankly be pissed if I got a 171.

That'd be a tough swap to make my friend. But you haven't graduated yet IIRC right? Take pottery, basketball, online community college classes this semester, summer, and fall and boost that puppy up above 3.0 and you'll be sitting real pretty.

I had one bad semester that killed me and in case my retroactive withdrawal or addendum don't go through or do much to help me, I've been doing that. It's already boosted me from a 3.2 to a 3.6x.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

That'd be a tough swap to make my friend. But you haven't graduated yet IIRC right? Take pottery, basketball, online community college classes this semester, summer, and fall and boost that puppy up above 3.0 and you'll be sitting real pretty.

I had one bad semester that killed me and in case my retroactive withdrawal or addendum don't go through or do much to help me, I've been doing that. It's already boosted me from a 3.2 to a 3.6x.
yea i'm gonna cop some online community college classes this summer i think. gonna sign up for like remedial algebra or something :lol:

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 pm

armedwithamind wrote:yea i'm gonna cop some online community college classes this summer i think. gonna sign up for like remedial algebra or something :lol:
You should. And depending on where you live, there should be easier and more diverse classes than that.
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 pm

I caution against pottery!! I took it thinking it would be an easy A, spent the whole semester trying to figure out how to get the clay centered on the damn wheel. Had cuts all over from the sand that was stuck in the clay, and it was a huge commitment out of the classroom.

Caveat Emptor

redecember

New

Post by redecember » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm

myoung7189 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:
redecember wrote:Can't seem to find PTs 40-51 in a bundle online. Anyone know where I can purchase them?
Cambridge has all the tests: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/preptests/4-section/
Here's a bundle of 41-50 you can save around 10 dollars compared to buying them individually. It's the fourth one from the bottom: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/prep-books/

It looks like it is an actual book, but they really just email you a pdf with the tests.
Thanks a lot guys.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Did LG section from PT22 and went -1 (really stupid mistake caused by rushing/overconfidence) in 33 mins. I've seen the games before but don't remember when I did them last. Moving onto LR drilling. Keep at it y'all - the road to a 180 ain't easy.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Sounds like our GPA's are similar -- you're lucky you're still in school! I graduated in Oct so my GPA is what it is unfortunately. I'd love to be able to take extra classes but I don't think admissions looks at anything other than your GPA in undergrad.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Sounds like our GPA's are similar -- you're lucky you're still in school! I graduated in Oct so my GPA is what it is unfortunately. I'd love to be able to take extra classes but I don't think admissions looks at anything other than your GPA in undergrad.
yea - i have three semesters left. my degree is 138 credits so ill be able to grab a couple more classes

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:17 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote: in the meantime, how do you feel about swapping your 3.6x for my 2.7x?
My GPA is shit too. Thank god for the LSAT being 25% more important.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 pm

If anyone has any remaining questions about PT 39, now is the time to ask them.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Good to see other splitters here. My biggest regret in life is my 2.9x GPA. I'm years away from it, so no pottery classes for me. ED UVA.

If anyone else is still drilling but eventually planning on doing 39, 40, and the other February PTs (as outlined in the DD schedule in the 2nd post), we can coordinate and play catch-up.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Good to see other splitters here. My biggest regret in life is my 2.9x GPA. I'm years away from it, so no pottery classes for me. ED UVA.

If anyone else is still drilling but eventually planning on doing 39, 40, and the other February PTs (as outlined in the DD schedule in the 2nd post), we can coordinate and play catch-up.
Splitter as well. I am going to ED the shit out of UVA. And let me know if you have any questions on PTs we've already done, I'd be happy to help.

kendradh

New

Post by kendradh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 am

Has anyone (and I imagine many of you have) done the free June 2007 LSAT available on LSAC? Because I did it cold, more as an introduction to see what the hell the LSAT was about, and I got all the LG questions correct, and not because of lucky guesses -- I actually understood them, for the most part.

So, I'm thinking, "Sweet, I'm okay at LG." And now, when I look at other sample questions, they seem WAY more intense and indecipherable. Is that just me? Was this test particularly easy on LG?

Just curious, as I'm about halfway through LGB and doing pretty well, and wondering if I should be expecting some crazy shit ahead of me...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”