JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BlaqBella

Silver

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm

My focus is on LR for the next few weeks. I hope everyone's study schedule is coming along nicely.

kkilambi

New

Post by kkilambi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 am

Looks like I am very slow in LG, how do you gain speed?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 am

kkilambi wrote:Looks like I am very slow in LG, how do you gain speed?
Drilling games untimed repetitively until you learn how to set up your main diagram and make inferences quicker for each game.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Does anyone have any RC tips?

I am at a point where I'm confident that I can score between -4 to -0 on LG, and -7 to -2 on LR (counting both passages), but I'm having a tough time with RC. Obviously I need more work on LR and LG, but I'm going to flush out those mistakes with drilling and timed tests, however I'm just not scoring at the same level for RC, and I'm not reading passages very quickly. I have both Powerscore and Manhattan's RC book, and I think my main problem is note taking, which I know is subjective, but if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it.

For example, Powerscore advises one to take very detailed notes, whereas manhattan concentrates more on the passage itself and the broader role of the passage's paragraphs. What works for you?

Thanks, and how is everyone else doing?
No concrete tips or anything but for RC I prefer the Manhattan approach over Powerscore's emphasis on notetaking. I would much rather have a firm understanding of the passage by pacing myself while reading and mentally making note of what I think the author's objective for writing the passage is. Reading "The Economist" is also something I do, albeit mostly out of interest instead of actually reading it for RC - but I think the dense nature of the articles is definitely similar to the style found on the majority of RC passages.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 am

Daily_Double wrote: So after doing a little bit more digging, I have found this reply, which both criticizes TLS members for creating new threads for RC tips and offers RC tips for TLS members. As you can tell, my copy and pasting abilities, due to laziness mostly, are not up to par for this website, so in the spirit of full disclosure, the above was posted by Kurst. Thanks Kurst and CardozoLaw09, I'm going to focus on RC for the next three days, then review everything, and hopefully start timed PTs the first week of January. Good luck guys
Hi Daily_Double,

As a ETS taker (GRE) I found LSAT RC to be extremely challenging, let alone English is not my first language. But I found Manhattan RC guide to be extremely helpful by breaking down every paragraphs. I took PT 1 RC two months ago and got -10..... Now I can consistently gouge -5 or -4 on PTs ( 1-20 mostly, not the 50-60). I know I still have a lot to go, but for me RC is more like a balance between real understanding and timing. Voyager's note taking is superb, with his/her approach, I managed to save a lot of time when I have to go back to the passage to look for details.

I also found one piece of advice on Manhattan LSAT forum to be extremely helpful. It's about reading slowly and carefully, which I think is paramount importance for me to digest the passage, it may take a bit longer, but when you pick up your pace, you should be able to attack questions within the time constraint.

This is posted by one of Manhattan LSAT instructors Patrick, http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/rc- ... 01c09eb275
Yes, when reviewing (or when practicing an RC passage untimed), I think you should try to find line references to support your chosen answer and you should try to identify the words in each incorrect answer choice that break it (pick as few words as possible ... almost half the time, there's just one word breaking an answer choice).

In terms of better retention, there's no easy fix for that. That's what makes some people "better readers" than others (and why LSAC chooses to test us on this). I'm not saying we're innately a certain kind of reader, but through good/bad habits over many years, we are definitely not all on a level playing field when it comes to reading/retention ability.

I think you'll find that you can improve a lot at your retention if you really start with an enthusiastic blank slate and read slowly enough that you give your brain time to understand every sentence.

Some sentences are awkward and confusing: re-read them.

Sometimes you lose your focus and don't know what you just read: re-read it.

Sometimes you're unclear about how the current sentence relates to stuff you just: go back and re-read the stuff before the current sentence to make sure you understand it.

Many people reading this will probably say, "Hey, won't that take too much time?"

Yes? No? It depends.

For me, reading slowly enough to fully comprehend the material means that I will be able to get through questions much more quickly.

For others, it could be that reading this slowly take more time and barely increases their retention, in which case the extra time wasn't worth it.

You'll have to experiment with your reading habits to see whether it would behoove you to read something more closely.

As a (fun?) experiment for yourself, try reading an RC passage TWICE, yes - twice! - before you go to the questions.

Theoretically, reading it twice should give you pretty good comprehension. (And on the second read, you'll probably skim the sentences you remember well, but dig into the sentences you didn't really get the first time -- or suddenly understand their relevance to the big picture)

If you find that answering the questions is easier and more accurate after having this augmented understanding, then you'll see the payoff of better retention and maybe be able to try to make your first read more like a 1st/2nd read put together (i.e. only re-reading the parts you need to for optimal comprehension).

Good luck!

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:48 am

Random question. Do schools accept February LSAT scores for the following cycle? For instance, the Feb '13 LSAT for the 2013-2014 cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:24 am

ricekrispies wrote:Random question. Do schools accept February LSAT scores for the following cycle? For instance, the Feb '13 LSAT for the 2013-2014 cycle?
Yes.

hamiele1

New

Post by hamiele1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Checking in. I took Kaplan this past summer, and was planning on taking the October LSAT, but then deferred taking it until June. Followed TLS for a while now. I like the motivation everyone has here. Let's show this test who's boss.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:Random question. Do schools accept February LSAT scores for the following cycle? For instance, the Feb '13 LSAT for the 2013-2014 cycle?
Reading comp/poorly written question fail.

Cycles go from fall to spring of the application year. This is the 12/13 cycle.

Are you talking about the Feb '13 test for the 12/13 cycle? Also, the class entering in the fall of 2013?
Lol worm you know what they meant. The lounge claims yet another TLSer as snarky, sarcastic, and pretentious (not saying I am not).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Reading comp/poorly written question fail.

Cycles go from fall to spring of the application year. This is the 12/13 cycle.

Are you talking about the Feb '13 test for the 12/13 cycle? Also, the class entering in the fall of 2013?
No I was talking about the Feb '13 test for the class entering fall of 2014. I thought I worded my question correctly, although I guess not. Sorry for the mix up!

And thanks to the others who answered the question!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 am

Daily_Double wrote:Ordered Cambridge LSAT Logical Reasoning and Logic Games organized by type for tests 1-38, if anyone has not read this yet NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers sounds like quality advice.

Conceptual Prep down, time to drill PTs 1-38, leaving 43-68 for timed PTs. Hopefully, 5 months and 10 days until 175+

--ImageRemoved--
same boat bro...noodley's advice is seriously great. ive been drilling with the cambridge pack for the last like 10 days or so...did a chapter in manhattan lr and drilled the type(s) everyday and repeated types from previous chapters for mixed review daily. Feels real structured and orderly, which i like since im ridiculously OCD. Proud i went 100 for 100 today on mixed review (flaw, assumption, parallel and paradox)..way to spend new year's lol. hopefully this time next year we'll all be celebrating for an even better reason...YSH...cough.

Luke81

New

Post by Luke81 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Count me in for this! I've registered for June and have started going through the MLSAT LG book. Really looking forward to it all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

any december retakers in here? if so, did you guys decide to postpone a cycle?

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

I don´t have my first score yet, but i will be here for june no matter what

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

312ldn

New

Post by 312ldn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 pm

In

rainofglory

New

Post by rainofglory » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi all, just want to introduce myself. I am a December re-taker and will be waiting until next cycle to apply to law school as a result of my effed up score on the December test. I self studied this last time, but I think in addition to self-study, I'll be taking a course this time. Just hoping to find a prep course that is good and not as high as my monthly mortgage payment.

Right now, I'm bummed from the test score I got today, I'll regroup and figure out a study plan in the next few days.

Nice to meet ya'll!!

rigs321

New

Post by rigs321 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Well I'll be joining this group after the disappointment that was Dec test, my first one. About 7 points lower than practice and it's all LG's fault! I failed hard at that section and the other ones remained what I was PTing at, so will focus my studies on getting LGs down. This will push me back a cycle, but worth it so look forward to posting here in the next few months!

rainofglory

New

Post by rainofglory » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

rigs321 wrote:Well I'll be joining this group after the disappointment that was Dec test, my first one. About 7 points lower than practice and it's all LG's fault! I failed hard at that section and the other ones remained what I was PTing at, so will focus my studies on getting LGs down. This will push me back a cycle, but worth it so look forward to posting here in the next few months!

We had similar results. I did great on LG, but sucked at LR. And scored lower than I did on all my PT's. My focus will be to maintain my LG while improving LR and RC.

Anyone else taking a course or is this group mostly self studies? I wonder if the $$ I'm considering spending on a prep will be better spent on purchasing more materials and studying on my own..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”