Tutor Necessary? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TXP13

New

Tutor Necessary?

Post by TXP13 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:03 pm

I took a practice LSAT cold about a month ago, got a 140. I go to college in a smaller town so it doesn't have the resources of my hometown in terms of prep options. My parents have suggested getting a tutor for the month of winter break, however I haven't had much of a chance to really analyze my weaknesses, and while it would help, I just think it's a little too early for a tutor to be of maximum benefit at this stage. I'm planning on taking the June LSAT and am willing to do what it takes, however I know I need a 20 point increase at minimum in order to be competitive. Right now I have both bibles and and some practice tests, should I do anything unique due to such a low score at this stage? Thanks.

perryja

New

Re: Tutor Necessary?

Post by perryja » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:20 pm

TXP13 wrote:I took a practice LSAT cold about a month ago, got a 140. I go to college in a smaller town so it doesn't have the resources of my hometown in terms of prep options. My parents have suggested getting a tutor for the month of winter break, however I haven't had much of a chance to really analyze my weaknesses, and while it would help, I just think it's a little too early for a tutor to be of maximum benefit at this stage. I'm planning on taking the June LSAT and am willing to do what it takes, however I know I need a 20 point increase at minimum in order to be competitive. Right now I have both bibles and and some practice tests, should I do anything unique due to such a low score at this stage? Thanks.
I'm only speaking for myself, not for others. My first diagnostic was bad too. I tried studying, but I am not the type to study alone and start scoring in the stratosphere. I chose the private tutor route--from Powerscore--and I'm loving it so far. My tutor is really pointing out my weaknesses and is helping me. My score is rising astronomically from PT to PT. I'm taking the June LSAT as well, and I'm looking for a VERY good score because of the private tutor. My tutor is great.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Don't get a private tutor right away. Start reading the Powerscore books and/or Manhattan LSAT books.

Scoring cold at 140 isn't necessarily bad, it just means you don't understand the test at all because you don't know what they are looking for. Once you do self-studying and you figure out what each section requires of you, then you will improve. After you exhaust yourself based on self-studying and can't get over the hump, then bring in the tutor.

LSAT courses are a great 101 crash course for people who have $1,000 laying around and who don't have the diligence to sit down and read a thick study prep book (not everyone has that diligence). But to utilize a private tutor for showing you how to approach every single section and every single question and every single game would eat up a ton of hours ($3000 or more).

Study on your own first. Bring in a tutor after you've had at least 70% familiarity with the test to help sharpen your mental tools for the test.

blackandstrong

Bronze

Post by blackandstrong » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:45 pm

boblawlob wrote:Don't get a private tutor right away. Start reading the Powerscore books and/or Manhattan LSAT books.

Scoring cold at 140 isn't necessarily bad, it just means you don't understand the test at all because you don't know what they are looking for. Once you do self-studying and you figure out what each section requires of you, then you will improve. After you exhaust yourself based on self-studying and can't get over the hump, then bring in the tutor.

LSAT courses are a great 101 crash course for people who have $1,000 laying around and who don't have the diligence to sit down and read a thick study prep book (not everyone has that diligence). But to utilize a private tutor for showing you how to approach every single section and every single question and every single game would eat up a ton of hours ($3000 or more).

Study on your own first. Bring in a tutor after you've had at least 70% familiarity with the test to help sharpen your mental tools for the test.
Yeah, bob is right. Familiarize with the test first. I know my first diagnostic was horrible, but I did a free prep course and my score increased 17 points by the end of it. However, after the course, my score still hovered at a range that I wasn't comfortable with. I know the rules -- just didn't know how to approach the questions. Therefore, I got a tutor and I'm now working with him. I do have a nest egg and I do have a full-time job so that helps. I know what score I want, and a tutor will help me get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”