Working while studying for the LSAT?

cneu333

Working while studying for the LSAT?

Postby cneu333 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Deleted--

Thanks for all of your advice!
Last edited by cneu333 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackandstrong

Re: Working while studying for the LSAT?

Postby blackandstrong » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm not fairly knowledgeable, but I think you should get a job full-time for a year, and just study your tail off.

However, if you're PT-ing at a 165 or 166, then just get a part-time job and take the test in June for your 170+. If you do take in June, then you'll probably be forced to take a year off anyway. In that case, just get a full-time job, and get some experience. You want to pad your resume with work experience because most law schools are looking at that heavily.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 pm

blackandstrong wrote:I'm not fairly knowledgeable, but I think you should get a job full-time for a year, and just study your tail off.

However, if you're PT-ing at a 165 or 166, then just get a part-time job and take the test in June for your 170+. If you do take in June, then you'll probably be forced to take a year off anyway. In that case, just get a full-time job, and get some experience. You want to pad your resume with work experience because most law schools are looking at that heavily.

Most law schools are not looking at your work experience 'heavily'. Sure, it's a positive. But it in no way improves your application the way a couple points on the LSAT will. If I were you, I'd just do part-time jobs and internships while studying for the LSAT if you're financially able to do so. You want the least amount of distractions to maximize your score.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am

altoid99 wrote:
blackandstrong wrote:I'm not fairly knowledgeable, but I think you should get a job full-time for a year, and just study your tail off.

Most law schools are not looking at your work experience 'heavily'. Sure, it's a positive. But it in no way improves your application the way a couple points on the LSAT will. If I were you, I'd just do part-time jobs and internships while studying for the LSAT if you're financially able to do so. You want the least amount of distractions to maximize your score.

I don't really think that's true... Get a full time job and study. You have 8 months until the LSAT, and a year until you apply-- 2 years until you go to law school. Are you really going to go 3 years without a job, just to study for the LSAT? Get a job. Make a plan. Execute said plan. Achieve your goals.

But don't listen to me, what do I really know? I'm just some dude. Listen to admissions officers though: --LinkRemoved--

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 am

3L at T14 here. I had several years of substantive work experience before starting law school. I might have outperformed my numbers slightly, but not in any significant way. And this was a private sector job where I managed people and analyzed complicated issues related to law. The work experience you will gain from working for a year is not going to help your application in any significant way.

That being said, I am very happy I came to law school with work experience. First, having had a "real" job gave me a perspective on law school some others lacked. I was able to stay diligent and work hard, but not get overwhelmed or discouraged. It made it easier to remember that it is just school, after all, and it's a privilege to get to spend time learning (mostly) interesting stuff.

Second, it was a huge advantage in the job search. I significantly outperformed my peers with similar (or even better) grades. Multiple partners specifically commented that my work experience would be a great asset.

Third, you learn to interact in a professional environment. I can't overemphasize how many people struck out or had very few options because of their inability to come across as mature and responsible in an interview. In an interview, the hiring partner of a large firm told me his test is "would I leave this person alone in a room with my most important client?" Working and interacting with corporate clients, which I did, makes you much more likely to pass this test. I also had a supervisor at my 1L job call people at firms to recommend me.

Besides, I took the LSAT twice: once when I was unemployed and then a second time when I was working full time and had to study from 6 to 10 every night after work. I improved my score by 3 points. Sometimes you just need to be swamped to get motivated and focused. Anecdotal, but hey, that's all you're gonna get on this site.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:19 am

gobosox wrote:
altoid99 wrote:

I don't really think that's true... Get a full time job and study. You have 8 months until the LSAT, and a year until you apply-- 2 years until you go to law school. Are you really going to go 3 years without a job, just to study for the LSAT? Get a job. Make a plan. Execute said plan. Achieve your goals.

But don't listen to me, what do I really know? I'm just some dude. Listen to admissions officers though: --LinkRemoved--

Outside of a handful of law schools, everyone knows it's ALL about your numbers. Admissions officers may say they conduct a holistic review of applicants and don't just rely on GPA and LSAT score, but the data available does not back this up whatsoever.

That being said, while substantive work experience may not be a huge benefit in admissions to most law schools, it certainly will serve you will in OCI and beyond as Lincoln pointed out.

But, from what I've gathered, there are many ways to seem as though you did something worthwhile between college and law school. While some do work full-time, others pursue advanced degrees, travel, work part-time, do internships, etc etc. There really is no one way to success in law school and a legal career.

Do something that will make you a more well-rounded individual with a better perspective on things, while at the same time making sure you have plenty of time to study for the LSAT. Full-time work experience is a possibility, but by no means the only answer for you. Whatever you do, do it for its own sake and not for a leg up in law school admissions. Because, as I've said, it's usually only about your GPA and LSAT.

cneu333

Postby cneu333 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 am

Thank you all for your advice. After some thought, I decided to stick with taking the December LSAT. I'm going to try to improve my score as much as I can for the next several days until the test date, and just go with the score I get. Worst comes to worst, I'll cancel the score and aim for next year's LSAT, and get involved in various activities, whether they be full-time or part-time. Thanks again for your input!
Last edited by cneu333 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cneu333

Postby cneu333 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:04 am

gobosox wrote:
altoid99 wrote:

Wow, thanks for the link. That was really helpful.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:24 am

Get a job dood. How in teh fuck are you surviving w/ no income

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 am

Try part-time, and if you see that you can work more hours while still improving your LSAT scores then consider full-time + LSAT.

That is, unless you want to do full-time LSAT and still maintain a pretty active social life on weekends, then part-time work (which the relatively easier to obtain part time work available in current times tend to be associated with things like retail that take up a good # of weekend's time) might not be a good idea. But honestly, you may not really know what fits you until you actually start working.

Note: I would suggest avoiding full-time work in the last month (or at least few weeks) of LSAT prep before your administration however, as I and many others have experienced some bad things from this type of schedule. For me, it got so bad with full-time work and studying that in the end I decided to quit my job to allow more time to study. Though now, and several months later; I am considering work (in a part-time fashion) at the moment.

patentlybored

Postby patentlybored » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Get a job. Learning the discipline to work full time and study will better prepare you for law school and lawyering. There are people on these forums who studied while working full time AND taking night school. Its doable.

0L here

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”