Been Studying LSAT for 1+ year without improvement, help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
altchnl

New

Been Studying LSAT for 1+ year without improvement, help!

Post by altchnl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been present since summer 2011 when I began studying.

A little background info:
I took a Kaplan class summer 2012 and wasn't too serious about the test, and subsequently did not take it. I graduated college in May 2012 with the intention of taking the test in October. I followed Pithypike's guide about 85% (made copies of all the games and several RC and LR sections per week) through July and August and began PTing in September. By the end of September I was scoring around a 150. My diagnostic test in Summer 2011 was around a 148, so not much improvement there. I decided to sign up for the test a third time for December 2012 after hiring a powerscore tutor in October. Unfortunately I did not make much progress and decided yet again to cancel the date.

My strengths on the LSAT: Logic Games. I can finish the LG sections consistently with -3 to -5.
Weakness: RC. If I try to complete all 4 passages in the allotted time I am easily -12. Recently I started taking my time and can complete 3 passages in time with -2 per story but then an additional -5 or so for the entire last story I do not have time to complete.
Weakness: Logical Reasoning kills me. The highest amount of questions I have ever gotten correct in the entire year and a half I have studied is 16 (-9). I typically get -10 to -12 per section. Flaw and Assumption kill me.

Long story short: I've put over a thousand dollars into making this test work and am still scoring in the low 150s. I am completely decided to going to law school. I have a 3.5 GPA and with the right score (165+) I know I could succeed anywhere. I don't see the point of going to a second or third tier school given the economy, so my ultimate goal is to get into a T14.

I am interested in any advice on how to get better at this test. I'm not a dumb girl and really feel as though I just haven't had that ah-ha moment yet. My test score is the only thing holding me back at this point and I want to hear what else I can do. Should I start studying for it all over again and redo the powerscore book? Should I find a different tutor? Or should I simply keep doing what I'm doing (PT twice a week with thorough review) and be patient? Any advice is appreciated.

altchnl

New

Re: Been Studying LSAT for 1+ year without improvement, help!

Post by altchnl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Just ordered the Manhattan LR book. Switching from Powerscore to Manhattan never crossed my mind. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”