Anxiety over June'13 LSAT Already..Advice?

shieldofachilles

Anxiety over June'13 LSAT Already..Advice?

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 am

So I started studying for the June LSAT about two weeks ago. I've made it through 3/4 of the LGB and the corresponding games (by type) from PT 1-20 along with repeating game types already covered while doing the new ones. I have been consistently getting -1 on each game (regardless of how many questions per game. I really dont get why. when i review i can see the mistake immediately). My cold diag was -10 (156 i think) on LG and the lsat today, -3 LG (166). I've bought every single lsat known to mankind. I probably shouldnt take anymore full PTs until after I work through LRB so to not run out of material.

So my main point...I've been stressing out like crazy over getting 172+ and ITS ONLY NOVEMBER. My cold diag scared the crap out of me and the anxiety has only gotten worse. I kind of want to get a tutor now (any recommendations in NYC?). Should I? I was planning to get a tutor for a month or two before June to fine tune but now I think it might be a better idea to split it up, effectively getting a package deal of say 40 hours--taking 20 now and 20 in april/may. Maybe building a stronger foundation with tutoring now and fixing my consistent f ups later? What do you guys think? (btw i really dont want to sound like a snob but money is not a problem. I work pretty much full time so I really dont mind shelling out the cash for the help)

I'm a junior so Ill be applying next cycle. I don't want a 3.85 to go to waste because i cant beat the LSAT and have to end up going to Brooklyn law . Also, I'm taking 20 credits next semester hoping to get that GPA to 3.9. 4 credits are a thesis not a full class so hopefully ill have plenty of time for prep and wont regret taking it on. Although the two classes im taking and the thesis im writing (Hellenistic Theory of Emotions: What's Lost in Translating Pathos to Passion...maybe a good resume soft?...im a classics and philosophy major lol) will be with 1 professor that ive had before. planning for recommendations. My thinking was it might be weird for one professor to give u 3 different grades, definitely flawed reasoning but hopeful nonetheless. The point of this was to justify my anxiety to you guys i guess.

Sorry for the lengthy post (and the parenthetical splices...ironic huh?). Maybe im just strung out after a 10 hour session today and wanted to vent :D. any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

$$$$$$

Re: Anxiety over June'13 LSAT Already..Advice?

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 am

Holy shit, you just reminded me why I hate 90% of law students

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:15 am

$$$$$$ wrote:Holy shit, you just reminded me why I hate 90% of law students

+1

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 am

seriously? i dont get wtf your problem is. im working to get into the top 5/paying for ug myself/paying for LS myself/pay rent myself and im trying my fkin hardest to be able to pay all this crap off in 4 years. I have no experience with this test aside from the last two weeks and i wanted to know if it was worth getting a tutor now or waiting. sorry if i think doing everything humanly possible to get into a school where my potential earning capacity is 10x greater so i could pay off all my bills. screw you both.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 am

shieldofachilles wrote:seriously? i dont get wtf your problem is. im working to get into the top 5/paying for ug myself/paying for LS myself/pay rent myself and im trying my fkin hardest to be able to pay all this crap off in 4 years. I have no experience with this test aside from the last two weeks and i wanted to know if it was worth getting a tutor now or waiting. sorry if i think doing everything humanly possible to get into a school where my potential earning capacity is 10x greater so i could pay off all my bills. screw you both.

We're just angry because you're asking us if you should cheat on us.

We are your tutor, bro. Don't leave us.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:57 am

makes sense...i get it..im not a veteran on this site and im coming across like the info here is useless. Really dont think that at all. TLS gave me my study guide thanks to Pithypike! But, i kind of want a personalized thing where someone can look at my test and be like "here's where your fking up and this is how were gonna fix it." thats all.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 am

shieldofachilles wrote:makes sense...i get it..im not a veteran on this site and im coming across like the info here is useless. Really dont think that at all. TLS gave me my study guide thanks to Pithypike! But, i kind of want a personalized thing where someone can look at my test and be like "here's where your fking up and this is how were gonna fix it." thats all.

and there's your answer

The Platypus

Postby The Platypus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:57 am

Chill out man. :)

June is still 7 long months away. Read through the Bibles and Manhattan slowly to understand things. Think of getting your feet wet. But it's a long journey--and most people say 3-4 months is good to study.

I have a similar GPA as you 3.8-3.9, depending on how all the cards fall, and want T14 w/ lots of money thrown my way, so I'm shooting for similar LSAT. I read through some of the Manhattan already, but going to start afresh after Christmas and read through things slowly, ease into January and then study 15-20 hours a week til June. And, if it makes you feel any better, I have every PT from 1-66 (that's available) in a huge stack, plus the Manhattan collection, the Powerscore collection, and some useless TestMasters old prep material. So...future gunners unite.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 am

someone in the same boat!! I got all the test too lmao. I remember how it all came in this pretty big amazon box.

I'm actually leaving from ny in about 2 hours to visit UPenn. Meanwhile no sleep too excited to see this place and stuff my face at Pats and Gino's--gotta rate the difference myself. I figure what better motivation to study hard than actually going to see a t10. Visualize success right? I know u can see urself in Harvard being like "no fellow classmate sorry but case y says x so ur wrong" lol

We should study together man since we're both on the same track pretty much. I gotta feeling my prep is gonna go on hold next week until Christmas time too since finals are coming up. But a little competition always helps, at least for me. Pm me if you want to share thoughts and shit.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

One thing to help with the anxiety... you can always retake if you don't get your 172+.
I would do whatever you need to do to get rid of your anxiety... because if you stress out too much on test day it could potentially hurt your score. LSAT is easier with a level head.

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

If you can't handle the pressure BEFORE law school, it's really going to get to you when you're in. CTFO and take it one step at a time.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

If you're this nervous for LSAT 6 months prior, I can only imagine your potential state 6 months prior to a bar exam which is easily quadrupled the presssure, especially for NY and CA bar exams.

Honestly, your nerves will calm once you:

1. Realize the test is conquerable.
2. Focus on accuracy before speed.
3. Taken enough PTs to become very familiar with question type/format. People here encourage taking at least 20 fully-timed exams.

I am personally on item 2 of the above and have come to love the LSATs. At the moment its kicking my butt but its a test I enjoy studying for. It certainly has helped me change the way I think. It's a good exam. One of the best.

See ya in June!

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:I kind of want to get a tutor now (any recommendations in NYC?).

NYC resident here and I was also on the search. Given my interactions with a few in the neighborhood, I would recommend Larkin Robson (180 Degrees LSAT) or one of the Manhattan LSAT tutors but PM me for details.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:23 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
shieldofachilles wrote:I kind of want to get a tutor now (any recommendations in NYC?).

NYC resident here and I was also on the search. Given my interactions with a few in the neighborhood, I would recommend Larkin Robson (180 Degrees LSAT) or one of the Manhattan LSAT tutors but PM me for details.

I also think Larkin is a great tutor if you can afford him.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm

This sort of attitude is going to make you crash and burn when the time comes.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

ill look into the tutor...thanks for the recommendation. I made an appointment with Scwhartz yesterday. we're meeting in a couple of weeks. Ive heard a lot of good things so I hope he matches up to the hype. Pretty sure he will. His video seemed pretty easy to understand.

I know its kind of crazy what im putting myself through psychologically--totally unnecessary. Today im taking the day off from everything, LSAT and School related (except TLS lol), to just sit back, regroup and settle down. Thanks for everyone's constructive advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”