How many un-timed PTs?

Yankees1404
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 pm

How many un-timed PTs?

Postby Yankees1404 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Quick question...

how many un-timed PTs do you suggest i take before trying them under the pressure of the clock? I realize this answer may depend on my progress from the first few un-timed PTs, keeping note of time per section...but a general suggestion? 5-10? anybody who started with this method and saw success, please offer your insight.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: How many un-timed PTs?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Yankees1404 wrote:Quick question...

how many un-timed PTs do you suggest i take before trying them under the pressure of the clock? I realize this answer may depend on my progress from the first few un-timed PTs, keeping note of time per section...but a general suggestion? 5-10? anybody who started with this method and saw success, please offer your insight.

I wouldn't do any un-timed. Instead, I'd do sets of questions/games/passages of a certain type un-timed while you are learning to implement a new of thinking. I don't usually see much reason to do un-timed mixed sets, though I've had some high-anxiety students for whom that was helpful at first.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: How many un-timed PTs?

Postby StylinNProfilin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I wouldn't do any un-timed. Instead, I'd do sets of questions/games/passages of a certain type un-timed while you are learning to implement a new of thinking. I don't usually see much reason to do un-timed mixed sets, though I've had some high-anxiety students for whom that was helpful at first.

+1 I never did any untimed practice tests. Just did alot of drilling to begin on different question types and then jumped into full-timed practice tests

Yankees1404
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: How many un-timed PTs?

Postby Yankees1404 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:30 pm

thank you very much for your input. I've already taken around 20 PTs and thought this was probably a useless approach anyway. on a side note manhattan lsat's logic games book coupled with immense amounts of drilling modern logic games enabled me to increase from an 8/23 on my cold diagnostic to a 20/23 in october. I am putting off LS this cycle, regardless of my ability to get into tier 2 schools because i didn't have ample time to study the logical reasoning section (besides PTing), which was always my strongest section. any advice for how to go about the LR section, noah? I am about halfway through manhattan's LR strategy guide, but am unsure how to approach practicing this once i've completed the book

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: How many un-timed PTs?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Yankees1404 wrote:thank you very much for your input. I've already taken around 20 PTs and thought this was probably a useless approach anyway. on a side note manhattan lsat's logic games book coupled with immense amounts of drilling modern logic games enabled me to increase from an 8/23 on my cold diagnostic to a 20/23 in october. I am putting off LS this cycle, regardless of my ability to get into tier 2 schools because i didn't have ample time to study the logical reasoning section (besides PTing), which was always my strongest section. any advice for how to go about the LR section, noah? I am about halfway through manhattan's LR strategy guide, but am unsure how to approach practicing this once i've completed the book

I'm so glad that our LG book helped you--though that sort of gain represents a lot of work on your part, so bravo!

As for LR, I'd get our practice book 1 (probably you can pick it up used on Amazon, we stopped selling it separate from our courses -- or enroll in one of our self-study courses if you want videos, though sounds like you may not need that). This book breaks up LSATs by question type, so you can do a bunch of questions of a certain type to "own" a new strategy. So, learn the strategy, drill it with a focused set, and then add to the PT mix (though, as you get closer to test day, you'll need to be doing a healthy schedule of full 5-section timed LSATs even if you're not done learning all the strategies). BTW, cambridgelsat also sells a set of LSATs broken up by type using our categories.

Keep in touch - my e-mail is my first name at manhattanlsat.com




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BOSStongrl, Chipotle85, dj9i27, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, PantoroB and 12 guests