Testing accomdations for dyslexia

pinklady

Testing accomdations for dyslexia

Postby pinklady » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 am

I have been recently diagnosed with Dyslexia . And I would like to know if I would be able to get testing accommodations from lsac. I graduated with a 3.5+ GPA, but I got that through unofficial extendedexams.. Also, I am a high school dropout (flunked out) and I never took the SAT/ACT; I took the Compass (an untimed college entrance exam). Is it difficult for people who are recently diagnosed with a disability to get (extended time) accommodations?

Awkward

Re: Testing accomdations for dyslexia

Postby Awkward » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 am

I'd say so..i got accommodations but I had to jump through a ton of hoops and I have more documentation than probably anyone with a history of being dyslexic starting at age 5.

I would suggest you start the process VERY early (months before you want to take the exam.. 6+ months) and see what hoops they want you to jump through and see if your able / willing to obey

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am

Awkward wrote:I'd say so.

I'd agree. It's VERY difficult to get accommodations without an extensive history/documentation of a long-standing issue. The fact that you did well (3.5+) without official accommodations will strongly hurt you in the process.

Start early, be prepared to do more work than you will have to do for the law school admissions process, and expect to still be rejected.

pinklady

Postby pinklady » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 pm

So because I don't have an extensive history it be very difficult to get accommodations? Even though I flunked out of high schoo, etc?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm

pinklady wrote:So because I don't have an extensive history it be very difficult to get accommodations? Even though I flunked out of high schoo, etc?

Yep. You did well in college without the accommodations (official ones, at least).

afitouri

Postby afitouri » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:01 pm

bp shinners wrote:
pinklady wrote:So because I don't have an extensive history it be very difficult to get accommodations? Even though I flunked out of high schoo, etc?

Yep. You did well in college without the accommodations (official ones, at least).

He said he did have accomodations -- extended exams.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

afitouri wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

He said he did have accomodations -- extended exams.

Unofficial. No documentation, so it doesn't count as proof.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”