Timing Issues? Panic?

ar1656

Timing Issues? Panic?

Postby ar1656 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 pm

With the Dec LSAT days away, I'm having trouble finishing logic games and reading comp. Most of my time on logic games isn't spent reading the stimulus, it's on individual questions that I want to work through. For example, if I get to a question that says, "all of these are possible EXCEPT..." I will sit and work out (literally) every single one until I figure out the answer. How can I not get hung up on that?
The reading comp problem is the passage, I keep trying to make sure I can commit all of the passage to memory but when I get to the questions, I don't remember crap! Making a roadmap gets confusing because I have so much written, circled, or underlined that I end up reading full sentences anyway. How can I fix this?
Timed: I score about a 156, Untimed: 160.

I seriously appreciate any high scorers that can help me out.

boblawlob

Re: Timing Issues? Panic?

Postby boblawlob » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm

ar1656 wrote:With the Dec LSAT days away, I'm having trouble finishing logic games and reading comp. Most of my time on logic games isn't spent reading the stimulus, it's on individual questions that I want to work through. For example, if I get to a question that says, "all of these are possible EXCEPT..." I will sit and work out (literally) every single one until I figure out the answer. How can I not get hung up on that?
The reading comp problem is the passage, I keep trying to make sure I can commit all of the passage to memory but when I get to the questions, I don't remember crap! Making a roadmap gets confusing because I have so much written, circled, or underlined that I end up reading full sentences anyway. How can I fix this?
Timed: I score about a 156, Untimed: 160.

I seriously appreciate any high scorers that can help me out.

All I know is for the Must be False questions....it's not so much that you're trying to find answers that are possible...but you should be actively looking for the AC that goes against a statement in the stimulus.

For example:

Stim: All dolphins are only blue.

What's a MBF answer choice? One that says "some dolphins are not blue" or "Keiko is a dolphin. He is red."

Basically, the answer choice for MBF questions are usually restatements of the stim, but slightly modified in order to be false (because the stim says otherwise).

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Logic Games:

It seems like you are having difficulty using the information from the stimulus. How do you take your notes? You should make short-hand notations so that you don't have to reread. That way, you can just go through the answer choices and eliminate which ones "can be true" or fit with the given information.

Also, I tend not to do "hypotheticals," they feel like a waste of time to me. I would rather make diagrams that pertain to the specific questions. Plus, the "global" question at the beginning of each game provides a pretty good grasp about the rules.

RC:

DO NOT TRY TO COMMIT THE PASSAGE TO MEMORY. Sorry about the caps, but this is important. Most people seem to read for the structure, that is, they don't really memorize anything but the location of the arguments, so that they can reference the information. I do a little bit of both, if I can't seem to remember a certain detail, I'll go back to the passage and reread whichever portion that I need to.

Also, many people tend to make notations. It seems to work for them. However, it bogs me down too much, so I stopped. In fact, I rarely write anything-- it's too distracting and makes me lazy. Try just reading the passage without writing or underlining anything. It's worth a shot.

LR:

I know that you didn't ask about this, but here's some unsolicited advice. Try reading the question stem first, and then the stimulus. A lot of people recommend reading the stimulus first, however, I feel that the stem gives you an attack plan to asses the stimulus. Just some food for thought.

Good luck!

zipehtzin

Postby zipehtzin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Helpful advice:

bp shinners wrote:
5965 wrote:I haven't done marking information that might appear in the questions because I was too busy absorbing the material, but maybe I should try!

If you haven't been doing this, you've been going about the RC section all wrong. The only notes you should take are things that are likely to show up in the questions. And it's utterly predictable:
1) Widely held beliefs/traditional theories/myths/etc...
2) Comparisons
3) Very strong statements
4) Surprising/shocking/counterintuitive information
5) Lists of characteristics/examples
6) Anyone's viewpoint

If you pull those out, you'll hit 90% of the questions.

Also, for science passages, if you're getting lost in the details, don't - they won't matter. There might be one question on the crazy science of the passage, but you're going to have to go back to find that specific information anyway. No use committing it to memory (which you'll forget anyway). Instead, note where it got sciency (I usually just write 'science' next to the margin so I can find it if it shows up in a question) and move on.

Also for science passages, all you really have to understand is how the experiment got us from the old theory to the new theory. The general structure of the passage is, "We used to believe X, but then we did experiment Y, and now we believe Z." If you can explain to me how Y got us from X to Z, even if you can't explain the science, you're golden.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”