Powerscore In-Person Private Tutoring Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
perryja

New

Powerscore In-Person Private Tutoring

Post by perryja » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Hello,

I am endeavoring to do what most would consider to be unthinkable: I am going to purchase a package of private tutoring from Powerscore. Before I do so, I want to know your experiences with them. I heard they were the best. Also, what success can I expect from them? It's November, and I hope to take the test in June, and I'm trying to make a 20 point jump.

Thanks again,

JDP

Platodium

New

Re: Powerscore In-Person Private Tutoring

Post by Platodium » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Dunno about private tutoring, but I went through the 3 PS bibles. LG bible is good and the others seemed to help, but I switched to Manhattan after a very disappointing real LSAT score and their approach seemed much more intuitive - as many people on here will tell you. I like the Manhattan LR and RC guides more than PS, LG is good with Manhattan or PS.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I did PS private tutoring and it was AWESOME. So worth it. but I think it prob. largely depends on your professor. Like in college, a professor can make or break a class. I had Nicholas Hudson in NYC.

perryja

New

Post by perryja » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:I did PS private tutoring and it was AWESOME. So worth it. but I think it prob. largely depends on your professor. Like in college, a professor can make or break a class. I had Nicholas Hudson in NYC.
What was your score before and after, if you don't mind my asking.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:03 pm

I've worked as a Powerscore private tutor. It depends entirely on the actual instructor you get, as the whole process is very de-centralized, and Powerscore essentially just acts as a middleman and provides the materials. They'll put you in touch with your potential tutor before you actually pay, so try to use that conversation to figure out if you think you'll work well together, as well as how much experience the person has.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:I've worked as a Powerscore private tutor. It depends entirely on the actual instructor you get, as the whole process is very de-centralized, and Powerscore essentially just acts as a middleman and provides the materials. They'll put you in touch with your potential tutor before you actually pay, so try to use that conversation to figure out if you think you'll work well together, as well as how much experience the person has.
Totally agree with this guy. For example, I had another tutor review my applications essay for a couple of hours, and she was not smart. Helped me brainstorm, but I was a better writer. I KNEW Nick, because I had taken the Powerscore class with him before, (I didn't hire him for the whole course, just a few days)

I went from a 154 to a 166. But...I think I could've done better, and I don't think that was his fault. He taught me really well, I got really stressed out and had some personal issues...in short. I don't blame him for my under performance.

perryja

New

Post by perryja » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am

**bump**

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm

perryja wrote:**bump**
I don't think more anecdotes are going to help you. Powerscore has arguably the best materials around, and only hires 99th percentile scorers + many people find one on one tutoring very helpful. BUT it's naturally going to be hit or miss because it's a very very decentralized process. While I wasn't teaching a full length class but was doing private tutoring I literally didn't have a substantive conversation with another PS employee for 6+ months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”