Should I push the test back to June?

b33eazy

Should I push the test back to June?

Postby b33eazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm

I took two practice tests in a row and my scores were in the 140s. The time issue is hurting me bad. I would make it to problem 15/16 on both the LR and RC before I clocked in at 5 minutes left. I am suppose to be taking the LSAT in December and I just don't know what I should do. Is it possible for me to get over this time crunch in time for December or should I push this test back to June and just apply next cycle? I am shooting for a score in the 160s and seem to be having trouble when under time pressures, but when I am drilling, my accuracy is around 80 percent but it just drops substantially. I want to apply this cycle but need any kind of tips on how to do that by December.

jmart154

Re: Should I push the test back to June?

Postby jmart154 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

100% push it back. If you have not cracked the 150's barrier at this point, with less than three weeks left, there is not much time to make a substantial improvement. If you can, study hard for the February date, and if you still don't feel ready, aim for June.

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Also, like you, I initially had trouble performing under timed conditions. I would become frantic, read too fast, and ultimately miss questions that I had gotten perfect consistently when I drilled. Even though it's tough to keep the anxiety to a minimum, really try and read the question relatively slowly (of course, not too slow) so that you're understanding the argument. Give yourself 40 minutes to finish LR sections, and gradually work your way down to the allotted 35. After doing numerous sections under timed conditions, you will get a feel for how to do things when time's ticking, and your brain will naturally adapt to this pace.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:06 pm

jmart154 wrote:100% push it back. If you have not cracked the 150's barrier at this point, with less than three weeks left, there is not much time to make a substantial improvement. If you can, study hard for the February date, and if you still don't feel ready, aim for June.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 pm

jmart154 wrote:100% push it back. If you have not cracked the 150's barrier at this point, with less than three weeks left, there is not much time to make a substantial improvement. If you can, study hard for the February date, and if you still don't feel ready, aim for June.

I broke 150 (I got a 155 on a prep test) but I got somewhere in the 140s on my last two practice exams. It's more do the time crunch that's been killing me recently.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm

b33eazy wrote:

I broke 150 (I got a 155 on a prep test) but I got somewhere in the 140s on my last two practice exams. It's more do the time crunch that's been killing me recently.

how have you been studying?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

TITCR. Making a leap to the 160s in two weeks is going to be near impossible. If you have to wait a cycle and take it in June, your higher score will be well worth it. The difference in your future prospects, between where you are scoring now and your goal, are huge.

Like many people on here, I too had to study for a while to see improvement to my score. It can be tedious, but slow and focused practice over a long period of time (as long as it takes) is the ticket. As far as time was concerned, I felt that the more familiar I was with the exam the quicker I got in each section. Once I started predicting questions and answers, my time drastically improved.

Best of luck! :lol:

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Br3v wrote:
b33eazy wrote:

how have you been studying?

A mixture of pithy pike and LSATBLOG. I also used Powerscore book, but didn't get anything from it so I started using Manhattan. On average I would say I study 20 plus hours a week. I have been studying since June but made most of my progress around October and have been mostly drilling different problem types since then. And my accuracy is very good when I do them separately, but it just dropped substantially when I have time constraints, etc. I think if I do delay I think I may need like some kind of prep course. Or something like that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”