LSAT advice - Dec or Feb opinions

LSAT advice - Dec or Feb opinions

Postby sportsguy2500 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I need some advice on what I should do and I'm not gonna lie, I'm struggling a bit.

I had planned to take the December LSAT and I've been working hard since July, but I'm kind of burnt out and not seeing much improvement. I had a cold diagnostic of 137 (first time I ever take it) and I'm scoring in the 148 range based on three practice tests. I feel like I understand the material MUCH better and I can even get a majority of the questions right on practice problems when untimed, but you throw 35 minutes in the mix - just done for the most part.

I have definitely gotten better with reading comprehension, but I'm inconsistent with Logical Reasoning. Logic Games is leaps in bounds my best section. I only missed like three questions in a practice section the other day on LGs, which is pretty dope.

I've took a the Powerscore full-course and went through all the books. I'm still struggling and there's no point in taking the test in December if I'm not scoring where I'm aiming (mid-high 160s at the very least). I'm seriously considering waiting until the February test because most deadlines wouldn't have passed at that time - Virginia, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, I think Duke, Tulane and Penn.

Some questions I have...

(1) What other books and materials can I get to help out? I'm thinking about getting Powerscore's Bibles and Workbooks since that's the method I've already learned.

(2) Does anybody have a study schedule that they'd recommend?

(3) What worked for you specifically on the LSAT?

Just general thoughts on ways to get better at the LSAT. May take a couple weeks to regroup, structure a plan, and then prepare hard for February (if that's the decision).

Thanks guys.

Re: LSAT advice - Dec or Feb opinions

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14 pm

You want to go from a 148 to high 160's... I think that is a little bit optimistic, but what do I know. Maybe you can do it. Def wait until February though, that way you have a full 3 months to prep yourself.

I like Manhattan LSAT books over Power Score Bibles.

Postby CalAlumni » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Yeah, if you haven't peaked yet which seems to be the case, continue studying.

Postby SumStalwart » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 am

I'm not sure if you can meet your goal in the next few weeks. However, I would suggest not canceling until sooner to the date-- you're already going to incur the cancellation fee. If you are able to consistently score in the 160's by the test date, I say go for it. If you can't, cancel, and register for a later date.

Good luck studying!

Postby scottyc66 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:22 am

You're looking to bridge a pretty immense gap, especially since you've already put in a substantial amount of studying. I would say all over this forum you'll find people who are proponents of Manhattan and the Bibles, but pretty much anyone will tell you that you need to take a lot more PTs. This seems like it would be even more true given your problem, timing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”