Suggested novels to improve RC

Yankees1404

Suggested novels to improve RC

Postby Yankees1404 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 pm

As I posted previously I am looking for any reading material that may help sharpen my RC on the LSAT. While i realize this may ultimately not improve this section, I am not taking the LSAT until June and plan on reading for a couple hours everyday until then. I have been told many academic journals and articles on here to read...any suggestions for novels? I was going to start with Crime and Punishment...but any and all suggestions for this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Br3v

Re: Suggested novels to improve RC

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Yankees1404 wrote:As I posted previously I am looking for any reading material that may help sharpen my RC on the LSAT. While i realize this may ultimately not improve this section, I am not taking the LSAT until June and plan on reading for a couple hours everyday until then. I have been told many academic journals and articles on here to read...any suggestions for novels? I was going to start with Crime and Punishment...but any and all suggestions for this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly, jsut something at a colelge reading level that is failry dense but most importantly that you enjoy and will read. I am not really sold on one being able to improve RC by reading outside material (unless you have been a reader your entire life), but if there is going to be any benefit from it is is going to come from you reading something you will enjoy/stick with.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

50 Shades of Grey

Just kidding. I think an academic journal would probably be better because novels are generally interesting. That's not to say that a journal isn't interesting but a novel will keep you turning pages and get you excited, no RC passage has ever made me go, "When I'm done this test I'm going to go learn more about this disease/person/law/event." I've found some of them interesting but more in a "that's nice" sort of way. I did just finish all of the available Song of Ice and Fire (HBO Game of Thrones books) those were long and fairly dense. They may be longer than they are challenging but it took me awhile to go through them but that could also be because I do most of my reading on the train to and from work. If nothing else they're good books and they're written from point of view of the characters, maybe the constant character shifting could help with authors attitude questions.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 pm

I suggest Woolf's, To the Light House, Joyce's "Dubliners," or Conrad's "Heart of Darkness." These should teach you to read differently; for the LSAT specifically, I think "Heart of Darkness" is your best bet.

Golddust
Last edited by RobertGolddust on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yankees1404

Postby Yankees1404 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm

I fully realize that none of it may help, but I've gotta do all i can, this section is what's standing in my way of the high 160s. Thanks for the suggestions.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:I think "Heart of Darkness" is your best bet.

Really try to analyze when you read it.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 pm

[/quote] Really try to analyze when you read it.[/quote] this is a good point noob. Don't get caught up in the imagery, try to analyze the text in regards to what the author says rather than how your effected. Also, analyze the sentence structure; it is more complicated then your average prose.

Golddust

p.s. "Heart of Darkness" is a novella, and "Dubliners" is a book of short stories. I find that short prose, as well as poetry, requires focus. The reader must pay attention to detail and process information quickly if they hope to understand the work; this style of reading may be helpful for your LSAT prep.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:07 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:I suggest Woolf's, To the Light House, Joyce's "Dubliners," or Conrad's "Heart of Darkness." These should teach you to read differently; for the LSAT specifically, I think "Heart of Darkness" is your best bet.

Golddust

i was going to suggest conrad as well as far as dense but stylistically brilliant material.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Zeta wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:I suggest Woolf's, To the Light House, Joyce's "Dubliners," or Conrad's "Heart of Darkness." These should teach you to read differently; for the LSAT specifically, I think "Heart of Darkness" is your best bet.

Golddust

i was going to suggest conrad as well as far as dense but stylistically brilliant material.

Based on previous posts, OP is aiming higher than 157

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 pm

This isn't to improve on RC, but I'm reading Atlas Shrugged at the moment.

I got to know what the fuss is all about.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 pm

boblawlob wrote:This isn't to improve on RC, but I'm reading Atlas Shrugged at the moment.

I got to know what the fuss is all about.

I used to be the type of person who couldn't stop reading a book once I had started. Ayn Rand put an end to that.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Novels won't improve RC, because RC passages are designed to be short intense bursts of information (as opposed to long form, slow moving, and entertaining novels). There is a reason everyone says read the economist.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”