So close but yet so far!!!!

red52

So close but yet so far!!!!

Postby red52 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 pm

I score a consistent 160 on my LSAT practice tests. Yet i seem to always miss the most ridiculous RC and LR questions, questions that I shouldn't be missing. I think part of it is my inability to focus for very long periods of time, but we'll ignore that for now.

Do you guys have any general tips for squeezing out every last point on the LSAT? I'm almost there! I'm sure a lot of people are in my shoes (maybe not on these forums since 170 is bad here >.<)..

Thanks in advance!

red52

Re: So close but yet so far!!!!

Postby red52 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Actually, tips for focusing harder during the LSAT are extremely welcome here too, as that seems to cost me a question, maybe two per section (other than games)

Platodium

Postby Platodium » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm

caffeine, quite possibly.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I don't think you ever truly eliminate that problem, just mitigate it. The thing that has worked best for me is to just constantly force myself to focus intensly and remind myself over and over to not get lazy while reading. It's hard to keep that level of focus but since the LSAT preys on innattentiveness, there's not much else to do.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Where (like #2? #15? #30?) are you usually missing your questions in each section?

red52

Postby red52 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I don't think you ever truly eliminate that problem, just mitigate it. The thing that has worked best for me is to just constantly force myself to focus intensly and remind myself over and over to not get lazy while reading. It's hard to keep that level of focus but since the LSAT preys on innattentiveness, there's not much else to do.

Thanks, I will try to do that.... caffeine is also a good idea, I will more than likely have a cup of coffee or two before the real thing to make sure I can stay attentive during the full duration of the exam. I might actually not drink any caffeine the week prior so it "hits me harder" for the real thing as well.

Br3v wrote:Where (like #2? #15? #30?) are you usually missing your questions in each section?

Its odd because the questions I miss are normally later in the section, ~#15 or so, but normally it is just reading errors due to lack of attentiveness. Very rarely, maybe once or twice per practice test am I thinking to myself "why the heck is that right??"

I am also sharpening my games up to nearly 100%, which is more or less another fault. I feel as if the LG bible focuses too heavily on linear games and advanced linear games when I really only miss questions on complex grouping or possibly "the few others."

All in all, it will be a stretch for 165-170, but I am kind of thinking of trying this and maybe doing a retake in Feb, or possibly just waiting until the next cycle... though I am quite impatient (and my parents are not the most understanding folks when it comes to waiting for LS (I'm persian... middle eastern parents lol))

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

are we talking about LR?

I haven't looked at LSAT in a few months, but I belive the general breakdown was that 1-13ish were relativley easier, 13-20 were harder, then the last 5ish were a grab back with the last question almost always being easier imo.

AKA, it makes sense you would start missing wuestions inthe middle if we are talking about the LR section because that is where the questions get a little harder.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm

red52 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:I don't think you ever truly eliminate that problem, just mitigate it. The thing that has worked best for me is to just constantly force myself to focus intensly and remind myself over and over to not get lazy while reading. It's hard to keep that level of focus but since the LSAT preys on innattentiveness, there's not much else to do.

Thanks, I will try to do that.... caffeine is also a good idea, I will more than likely have a cup of coffee or two before the real thing to make sure I can stay attentive during the full duration of the exam. I might actually not drink any caffeine the week prior so it "hits me harder" for the real thing as well.

I'd be careful with that, don't want to go into the test jittery and mentally disorganized. Aim for relaxed but intensly focused.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Br3v wrote:are we talking about LR?

I haven't looked at LSAT in a few months, but I belive the general breakdown was that 1-13ish were relativley easier, 13-20 were harder, then the last 5ish were a grab back with the last question almost always being easier imo.

AKA, it makes sense you would start missing wuestions inthe middle if we are talking about the LR section because that is where the questions get a little harder.

Yeah, normally the questions I get puzzled on are in fact the ones in the middle and the ones I miss because of wording are later, but like I said it is due to attentiveness (yes we are talking about LR). I can consistently get 20+ correct in any given LR section when I can stay focused, but i'd really like to sharpen up those last few.... usually the ones i miss are the ones that are weaken questions, or possibly justify questions since they are fairly similar to weaken questions.

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
red52 wrote:

I'd be careful with that, don't want to go into the test jittery and mentally disorganized. Aim for relaxed but intensly focused.

Thanks, but to be honest I'm a caffeine junkie so it won't make me particularly jittery.. Having said that I am a pretty hyper person as is.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Your Avi... I'm 'mirin

red52

Postby red52 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:17 pm

M.M. wrote:Your Avi... I'm 'mirin

Aware. <33

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”