June 2013 LSAT (re)take Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DougieFresh

New

June 2013 LSAT (re)take Thread

Post by DougieFresh » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 am

For all those who are taking/retaking in June 2013. If you want, include:

1) Why are you taking/retaking in June 2013?

I am currently overseas and wont be able to get to the retake in December or February. Its difficult if not impossible to get physical resources where I currently live due to the lack of postal services. I will have 3 months before the June test starting March 15th without any requirements on my time.

2) What are your previous score(s)?

I scored a 157 in 2009 going in cold. October 2012 I studied for a few hours a week in the months leading up to the test and scored a 158.

3) What is your target score?

My goal is a 175+. I know that might seem unreasonable given my poor performance the first two tests, but thats the score I need as a splitter to get in to my dream school Northwestern. The resources and community on this site give me the confidence that I can and will make significant gains.

Good luck.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Re: June 2013 LSAT (re)take Thread

Post by tofuspeedstar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Finishing UG in May, I want to finish as strong as possible so I can solely focus on the LSAT. I will be taking the Powerscore course starting in April though.

I scored a 14x in June 2011, I choked really bad, on PT's I'd been scoring in the high 160s-low 170s, I have no idea what happened.

My goal is a 175+. My GPA is shot by a slacking freshman year....I know that might seem unreasonable given my poor performance the first test but that's the score I need as a splitter to get in to my dream school UT. The resources and community on this site give me the confidence that I can and will make significant gains.

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 pm

1) I scored 10 points below my lowest practice test leading up to the October test.
2)I scored a 160 in June and a 156 in Oct
3)Target is a 180 obviously but I would be happy with a 175+. I was PT around a 171 leading into the October test so I feel with an additional 6 months of prep I could even be looking at a 180. My top schools are going to be in TX and I would like to do PI/JAG/Biglaw. The first two areas lead themselves to needing close to full ride opportunities.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Depending how this cycle plays out, I may or may not retake in June, so I'll tentatively jump in.

1) Retaking b/c I didn't reach my target score

2) Not my target

3) 180

-0 LG, -4 RC, got crushed on LR in Oct 12.

My plan is to reread the Manhattan LR & RC guides and drill. I'm planning to buy the Cambridge LR & RC bundles for practice. I also have access to a bunch of PTs, most of which I've already taken. My goal is 100% accuracy. Since I've seen most of the questions, I plan on typing up a word document with the stim, question, & ACs, and then write out why each AC is either credited or not, focusing on the process and understanding the underlying logic.

For each RC passage, I'm focusing on underlying structure and more efficient tagging, as most of my uncredited ACs in Oct were because of a simple misunderstanding of basic structures

For LG, I'm just going to drill a few games here and there to keep myself tight.

Hopefully I won't have to do this, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaseyb002

New

Post by kaseyb002 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:22 pm

1) Took Oct 2012, got a 167 (-5 below PT average - all due to zones games pretty much). I don't graduate until Dec. 2013, so no rush. Really glad I decided to jump on this a year early. Gonna start from the beginning and study steadily until June.

2) see 1

3) 175

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 pm

This is mah thread. After December I will live in this thread and use it to motivate me to actually study.

Graduating in May. I'm ready to apply myself fully to this test.

Took it last June with minimal prep, made a 162. -10 LG, derp.

175, though realistically I'd be pretty ecstatic with a 170+.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 am

I was waiting for someone to create this thread - good stuff!

1) Did poorly in June 2012. In retrospect, I should have known that 1.5 months of prep would not be enough to hit my target score. Underperformed in October 2012. I was PTing well above what I scored and I've had trouble identifying what exactly accounted for the significant drop; although it probably had to do with getting phased by !Kung and going through that entire section with the mentality that it was likely to be an experimental. Even so, I didn't do as well in LR and LG than I should have.

2) Um, bad. It was 150+ I'll say that much

3) My target score was 165 - 170 for October 2012. I've gone through two administrations, have familiarized myself with the test well enough to know what I can and cannot achieve, and I have 6 months to efficiently tackle my weaknesses -- there's no reason to believe 170+ cannot be achieved. It's do or die. Let's get this done.

As far as a study plan, I don't have anything concrete yet. I still want to give it some more thought before I commit myself to a certain regimen. I ordered the three Manhattan guides today (3rd ed.) and plan on beginning the LR guide sometime in December. What I don't know yet is whether I want to use the LR guide in conjunction with drilling LR or finish the entire guide and then begin drilling each question type. Either way, Manhattan will be a vital component of my prep.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Checking in. Giving this beast another crack, really want that elusive 180.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Platypus

New

Post by The Platypus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

1) Summer between Jr. and Sr. year--starting studying after Christmas... Gonna look into job prospects first, though. Want a good LSAT and a good job so I have some options (and don't feel like I'm doing law school cuz there's nothing else)

2) Cold diagnostic at a 159.

3) Goal is...anything over a 172. I should be shooting for a 180, but that's nearly impossible. I want $$$ from as high a T14 as I can get into

Good luck to everyone else studying! Enjoy the journey (or continuation of it).

Happy Thanksgiving too.

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:29 am

1) Ummm mainly because I want a higher score (of course) but also because the June test is given in the afternoon, which means more sleep time for me the night before the test (yay). This is especially important since I'm a severe night owl.

2) 163 in october

3) 170 or above. I really hope this is a realist target.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:46 am

Hi everyone! I want to wish you all the best as we move forward.

I'm taking my first LSAT in June in order to submit apps for the fall cycle.

My diagnostic (first and only prep test I have ever taken) was a 154.

170+. I think the mentality "180 or bust" helps enormously, though.

All the best of luck everyone (:

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:49 am

Stupe wrote:This is mah thread. After December I will live in this thread and use it to motivate me to actually study.
Lol same

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 pm

warandpeace wrote:
Stupe wrote:This is mah thread. After December I will live in this thread and use it to motivate me to actually study.
Lol same
Same here. First time taking the LSAT is going to be in June. Ive been studying pretty consistently for the last 3 weeks. I think this week i put in 30 hours so far cuz of the break. Cold diag was 156 i think and the last two PTs, which i took bc i desperately wanted to see an increase lol, were 162 and 163. Realistically speaking (and i know i gotta stop doubting myself lol) between now and June is it possible to get that score over 170. Btw, i got a private tutor and were meeting on january 3 for the first time. plan on finishing the bibles before we meet.

You guys think its a bad idea working through the PS LGB and the Manhattan LR book simultaneously (i.e..i do a game type from each simultaneously and drill accordingly). Should i stop doing this and focus on LGB then LR? I found myself getting kind of frustrated with LG so i incorporated some LR.

Good luck to everyone out there too. I hope we all beat the crap out of this test and get into the law schools we all want to go to!

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

1) If I bomb the June test I'll have time to retake in Oct or move on with my life with fairly little lost. If I do well, then I can get apps together early.

2) Haven't taken one yet. Plan is to take a diagnostic after finals to see where I'm starting and then prep through June.

3) 170. I've decided that if I get lower than 168 then I will not apply to law school. I'll likely be applying with a 3.3 GPA (with a really bizarre upward trend, but still a 3.3) so I'll need to get to about 170 or so to have any chance at the T14. Of course, I'd be thrilled to go beyond that and my goal is to be PTing over 170 by June. We'll see!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 am

shieldofachilles wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
Lol same
Same here. First time taking the LSAT is going to be in June. Ive been studying pretty consistently for the last 3 weeks. I think this week i put in 30 hours so far cuz of the break. Cold diag was 156 i think and the last two PTs, which i took bc i desperately wanted to see an increase lol, were 162 and 163. Realistically speaking (and i know i gotta stop doubting myself lol) between now and June is it possible to get that score over 170. Btw, i got a private tutor and were meeting on january 3 for the first time. plan on finishing the bibles before we meet.

You guys think its a bad idea working through the PS LGB and the Manhattan LR book simultaneously (i.e..i do a game type from each simultaneously and drill accordingly). Should i stop doing this and focus on LGB then LR? I found myself getting kind of frustrated with LG so i incorporated some LR.

Good luck to everyone out there too. I hope we all beat the crap out of this test and get into the law schools we all want to go to!
+1

Everyone that posts in this thread should reach their target score in June - no excuses! With this being my 3rd and final take, I have no choice. Good luck to all of yall.

Right now I'm actually going through the PS LG Bible for a second time - this time I'm being a lot more thorough than I was the initial time. I've got my ass kicked twice so needless to say I have to give this prep process the respect it deserves. As for whether it's a bad idea to work on both simultaneously, I can't think of any reason off the top of my head for why it would be a bad idea. I'm actually thinking of doing the same. After reading the LG Bible, I plan on taking a "baseline" PT to kind of see where I'm at and where I need to go from there.

powder

Silver

Post by powder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:21 am

I was scheduled to take the test in October. I canceled before the test. Just wasn't ready. Thought about taking it in December, then I went back to work and life got hectic. This is the third LSAT thread I've posted in, and I still haven't taken the damn thing.

None.

180. Realistically, with my GPA, I need/want a 175+.

I have the Powerscore and the Manhattan books and the LR pdfs from Cambridge. My relative strength is LR, my weakness is LG. RC can go either way. I've read all the Manhattan and Powerscore books (minus the Powerscore RC, which I heard was terrible) at least once, thinking about getting the third editions for Manhattan. I'm 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the LR pdfs. Some things I've covered really well, some I haven't.

I've taken a scatter-shot approach to studying. I haven't done anything since late September, early October. I think I started last March, but it's been a day here or there and nothing sustained. Time to do this for real or let it go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shieldofachilles

Bronze

Post by shieldofachilles » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:16 am

think this thread is gonna be an integral part to everyones success. Keep the motivation going everybody!

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:50 am

1. Why are you taking in June 2013

I will be graduating in December and this gives me 6+ months to prepare. Plus by taking in June I can re-take if needed or get my apps in early.

2. What are your previous score(s)

I have only taken one completely cold diagnostic about a year ago and I scored a 155. I'm not sure what I would be at now, but look forward to pushing that score up much higher.

3. What is your target score

I'm shooting for a 175+ though i think because I am a URM a 172-173 would get me into most schools when combined with my GPA. I don't want to count on that though so I hope that 6 solid months of study can get me to 175.

I'm excited to get rolling and good luck to you all!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 am

armedwithamind wrote:Checking in. Giving this beast another crack, really want that elusive 180.
Nice tar. Every time I glance at the stack of PTs on my bookshelf, "Seeing Red" plays in my mind like a movie soundtrack.

Why are you taking in June 2013
1) I'm devoting the next 6 months to this test.
What are your previous score(s)
2) This will be my first.
What is your target score
3) 180. Realistically, I want to make few mistakes.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 am

I scored a 170 off of 5 PTs, the Kaplan book, and no knowledge of this site. I now know that A) the Kaplan book is a joke 2) I should be doing more like 50 PTs plus the Bibles and that D) This site is awesome.

With all that in mind, I am fairly confident I can notch up another 3pts or so.

Realistically? 173-175. Ideally? The Notorious 1.8.0.

Good luck to all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:04 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:1) Why are you taking/retaking in June 2013?

I scored a 170 off of 5 PTs, the Kaplan book, and no knowledge of this site. I now know that A) the Kaplan book is a joke 2) I should be doing more like 50 PTs plus the Bibles and that D) This site is awesome.

Good luck to all.
Amazing. Pretty confident that you'll hit 179 if not that 180.

okiedokie33

New

Post by okiedokie33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

Want to study for a couple months before I retake

June 2011: 162, did pretty well on LR/LG, missed 13 on RC

166+

LR/LG Bible's really helped me do well on LR/LG, I did Manhattan for RC, but didn't really do much for me, if someone can reccommend good RC source that would be cool

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 am

Will be retiring in May of 2014, so I want to apply to law school(s) in the Fall of 2013. I have time at work for the next six months to get a lot of studying done, so I figure June would be a good time frame for a first attempt, with October as a fallback if things go sideways.

No official scores yet, but my cold diagnostic was ~163.

I'm going to be disappointed with anything less than a 175. I'm only trying to get into SMU (with UT as a major reach), but my uGPA from 1994 is pretty crappy (2.6-2.7), so I really need to crush the LSAT to maximize my chances.

I've just started the LSAT Blog six-month study plan, and am planning on picking up the three-book Manhattan set. I've done a few timed sections from early PTs just for fun, and in LR and RC, I'm routinely finishing about ten minutes early, but there are always a few questions I feel "squishy" about, and I generally end up going -3 on each section. For games, I'm always running right up against the time limit, and I'm not catching all the inferences that I should.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:14 am

warandpeace wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:1) Why are you taking/retaking in June 2013?

Good luck to all.
Amazing. Pretty confident that you'll hit 179 if not that 180.
From your mouth to Buddha's ears Tolstoy.

Best of luck to you. We should all aim to crush it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”