Burnt out(what does everybody do to get out of this)

natashka85

Burnt out(what does everybody do to get out of this)

Postby natashka85 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Everybody`s input will be appreciated,wanna know what helps to get out of this situation?

honeycomb

Re: Burnt out(what does everybody do to get out of this)

Postby honeycomb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 am

The day I took my LSAT prep materials to the beach made life so much better... :D

In all seriousness though take a break for a day or two, and then try mixing up your study environment. I would go to panera, starbucks, pretty much everywhere with a table. Changing it up really kept me sane.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am

More PTs

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 pm

To be honest I'm kind of tired of all this burn out talk. It doesn't really exist but people treat it like it's a diagnosable medical condition. It's jut being lazy, forgetting why you're doing it and then letting complacency take over. How to cure burn out? Realize that you don't have the luxury to relegate inaction to a made up condition and get back to studying. I've been at this the better part of a year and I've experienced "not wanting to study" but I never felt the need to find out how to fix that, you just keep at it. Just my 2 cents.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:To be honest I'm kind of tired of all this burn out talk. It doesn't really exist but people treat it like it's a diagnosable medical condition. It's jut being lazy, forgetting why you're doing it and then letting complacency take over. How to cure burn out? Realize that you don't have the luxury to relegate inaction to a made up condition and get back to studying. I've been at this the better part of a year and I've experienced "not wanting to study" but I never felt the need to find out how to fix that, you just keep at it. Just my 2 cents.

Lol. While there is some truth to this, and a big part of how you feel is your mental approach, I think there is something to be said for working to a point where you're not functioning optimally. Take a day off, do something you enjoy and recharge your battery, and then get back to work.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:To be honest I'm kind of tired of all this burn out talk. It doesn't really exist but people treat it like it's a diagnosable medical condition. It's jut being lazy, forgetting why you're doing it and then letting complacency take over. How to cure burn out? Realize that you don't have the luxury to relegate inaction to a made up condition and get back to studying. I've been at this the better part of a year and I've experienced "not wanting to study" but I never felt the need to find out how to fix that, you just keep at it. Just my 2 cents.

It's not a medical condition, but it is common sense. Studying for the LSAT is mentally intense, and requires some breaks. I agree that a lot of times it is just because the person doesn't feel like studying, but when someone is studying for weeks, or months straight with no breaks, as well as seeing a decrease in PT scores, it is time for a break.

After the October test I took three weeks off, until I found out about the lost tests, returned to studying last week and have improved by a few points. It doesn't mean that I should have spent less time studying, just that the break helped me out.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Take two-three days off, drink a beer or two (or a whole damn 12 pack, alchy!), and spend time with family, friends, and your partner. Then go back to studying you lazy bum!

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't think burnout is made up by any means... Some people get to the point where they're overworking or over-stressing about the test. This can certainly lead to decreased performance. I wouldn't say it's close to the "burnout" conditions you see in teaching, social work, or medical professionals. I think it could be more accurately described as being in an extended rut.

As to alleviating it? Take a weekend off. Go out and have some drinks with your friends. See a ball game. Go fishing. Do whatever you do for enjoyment. When you come back to prep two days later and the sky hasn't fallen, you'll feel refreshed and ready to go.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 pm

TheZoid wrote:

Lol. While there is some truth to this, and a big part of how you feel is your mental approach, I think there is something to be said for working to a point where you're not functioning optimally. Take a day off, do something you enjoy and recharge your battery, and then get back to work.

Of course after 8 hours of straight studying anyone would feel some mental drag and stop being able to retain or learn new information optimally, but is that what people are referring to with 'burnout'? When people say they feel burned out (on TLS at least) they seem to mean that they have studied for a few months and now no longer have any motivation. Taking a day (or have ever many) off may be warranted, trying to find hidden secrets to combat a lack of motivation isn't. I also may lack sympathy as I've been studying so long but haven't really experienced anything other than a lack of temporary motivation which I was able to remedy by doing it a few hours later, not sure what advice could be given for something that is as easily remedied as taking a short break aside from just that.

Drugs?

EDIT: @ Wormfather: I definitely know what that's like. But again, I may be commenting on a different phenomenon I've seen on the forum, the excuse-laden use of the phrase. I took 4 sections back to back yesterday and the 4th section I definitely suffered from mental exhuastion. Questions I realized shouldn't be difficult were extremely difficult to even read through, much less come up with the answer. Did badly on that section, but 15 minute break was all I needed for the next section to go relatively smoothly.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”