Any advice on how to find a cheap LSAT tutor?

180wanabe

Any advice on how to find a cheap LSAT tutor?

Postby 180wanabe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi everyone. I am hoping to retake the LSAT for February 2013. I already took a testmaster course and scored a 158 on the October test. I want to give it another go and aim for the high 160s or low 170s. I don't want to take another class, but I would like a tutor fro advice and motivation. All the major companies hire tutors out for about $125 an hour. Any advice on where I can find a decent tutor for less? Thanks.

Typhoon24

Re: Any advice on how to find a cheap LSAT tutor?

Postby Typhoon24 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Honestly, you don't need a tutor at all. All the information and advice you need is either in the Powerscore bibles, Manhattan guides, or in the TLS forums. If morale is your problem, you could use a cheerleader , not a tutor. I'd recommend finding a girlfriend/boyfriend or a close friend for that who's willing to back you up and offer support. Probably cheaper than 125$ an hour.

Ende

Postby Ende » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 pm

180wanabe wrote:Hi everyone. I am hoping to retake the LSAT for February 2013. I already took a testmaster course and scored a 158 on the October test. I want to give it another go and aim for the high 160s or low 170s. I don't want to take another class, but I would like a tutor fro advice and motivation. All the major companies hire tutors out for about $125 an hour. Any advice on where I can find a decent tutor for less? Thanks.

I have the same experience you have outside of taking the October LSAT. I did the TM course and finished it feeling like a lost cause. I had a tutor in place as well, but in reality, I wasn't interested in financing it, regardless if there was a point jump.

I said this in another thread, but I would definitely recommend you buy a study guide from the LSAT blog. I bought the 3 month day by day for $20, and I'm quite happy.

Considering you're at a 158 now, I would not be surprised at all if you rocked a 170+ using that guide.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Also, at least once a week someone is organizing a TLS group to review a prep test. Do that. Look at the Velocity / 7sage videos on questions you're confused about. Check the Manhattan forum for questions you don't understand. Also post a question.

Have you done the PS Bibles? What are you struggling with? Go through the PS bibles if you haven't, and then if you're struggling with LR or LG, drill, drill, drill. RC is the hardest to improve (imo), but just doing it over and over and getting advice on the forum I think may be the best/easiest way to improve that.

PS - all of this will cost you less than $500, or 5 hours of a tutor's time.

180wanabe

Postby 180wanabe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Great advice so far. To answer your question fruitoftheloom, logic games are my downfall. I almost never finish the third game. My accuracy isgood, but I usually cannot get to the last 8 sections of a logic games section. I'm inclined just to do about two practice tests a week, go over what I went wrong, and do powrerscore LG prep inbetween. If you guys have any more retake study advice I would be more than happy to hear it. Thanks again.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I recommend posting to r/gonewild to see if you can find the right tutor

AbhiJ

Postby AbhiJ » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 am

Get a mentor, someone who has achieved your target score, and talk to them once a week.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”