Explore a different method of studying
31%
Get tutoring
18%

Total votes: 49

Strange Clouds

Give up on LSAT & Law School?

Postby Strange Clouds » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:28 am

Been studying for the LSAT quasi full time since April. Preptest result two days ago was 148; no improvement since I started. I'm taking this to mean I should stop wasting my time and do something else with my life. I haven't studied since then due to complete dejection.

Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable. My family and friends are also expecting me to do Law School adding to the pressure even though I'm doing it more for me.

So my question is am I just stupid? (I honestly think this now). Should I throw in the towel and just do something else? I pretty much know the answer I just haven't told this to any one and would love feedback. Be as vicious as you need to be.

TL;DR - 148 LSAT after months of studying, should I just not do LS.

gaud

Re: Give up on LSAT & Law School?

Postby gaud » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 am

Have you taken a prep course or used any prep materials?

How have you gone about studying?

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 am

Strange Clouds wrote:Been studying for the LSAT quasi full time since April. Preptest result two days ago was 148; no improvement since I started. I'm taking this to mean I should stop wasting my time and do something else with my life. I haven't studied since then due to complete dejection.

Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable. My family and friends are also expecting me to do Law School adding to the pressure even though I'm doing it more for me.

So my question is am I just stupid? (I honestly think this now). Should I throw in the towel and just do something else? I pretty much know the answer I just haven't told this to any one and would love feedback. Be as vicious as you need to be.

You're doing something wrong in your preparation. You should really consider taking a course or hiring a tutor.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 am

What kind of studying have you done? How much time have you put into studying?

fallen_frames

Postby fallen_frames » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 am

Just because you suck at the LSAT doesn't mean you can't be a good lawyer. (And doesn't mean you will always suck at it) It sounds to me, however, that you should take some time off, work at a law firm and see how you enjoy the field. Law school is NOT for everyone, so if you are worried, go and find out! If you find that you really enjoy it, I would say dedicate a serious amount of time preparing for the LSAT, I'm sure you can boost your score. I got mine from a 151 to a 163 with hard work, but I still know that I could have done more.

Chin up buddy.

Strange Clouds

Postby Strange Clouds » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 am

gaud wrote:Have you taken a prep course or used any prep materials?

First exposure to the LSAT was in 2010 when I did a Kaplan course offered during the semester and later that summer a Powerscore course. I wrote off my lack of improvement to not studying during the semester and working full time in the summer. Since then virtually none until April this year when my full time internship ended and I decided to not look for work and just tackle this thing full time.

gaud wrote:How have you gone about studying?

Since this year I did 7 Sage's online course and have been drilling the Cambridge bundles along with Manhattan LSAT. Didn't take a PT for a couple months until my last one two days ago when I got that score.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 am

Strange Clouds wrote:
gaud wrote:Have you taken a prep course or used any prep materials?

First exposure to the LSAT was in 2010 when I did a Kaplan course offered during the semester and later that summer a Powerscore course. I wrote off my lack of improvement to not studying during the semester and working full time in the summer. Since then virtually none until April this year when my full time internship ended and I decided to not look for work and just tackle this thing full time.

gaud wrote:How have you gone about studying?

Since this year I did 7 Sage's online course and have been drilling the Cambridge bundles along with Manhattan LSAT. Didn't take a PT for a couple months until my last one two days ago when I got that score.

Sounds like you have been pretty inconsistent which might be a part of the problem. LSAT isn't a test that can just be picked up again when you have time has to be studied consistently over time.

ninetails

Postby ninetails » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:08 am

Last edited by ninetails on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 am

Strange clouds? Try cutting down on the buddha.

Seriously though, you are not stupid. You are scoring about average on a test that only college grads take. The average college grad is not stupid.

Read these,

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-Se ... sat+bundle

Study hard until June. Retake in Oct if necessary.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 am

I listen to this after every bad PT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-c8MIFvaI

Oh and I have this speech memorized so you can just imagine how many bad PT I have had.

Good Luck

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 am

I want to echo what others have said in that there's clearly something wrong with your prep methods. Additionally though, I don't think you should go to law school given the reasons you've stated.

Peer pressure is not a good enough reason to dive into six-figure debt.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 am

Coming from someone like me, who started off with a 137 and is now PTing in the high 160s, low 170s... I say keep at it. But you have to be motivated and you really have to find a method that works for you. Seriously my first PT was a 137... everyone around me in my class first PTs were 164s and 161s, imagine how stupid I felt, but now I've surpassed many of them just due to(in my honest opinion) hard work and motivation. Sounds cliche, but it's the truth.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 am

I usually tell people who are even scoring 20-30 points higher than you not to go to law school.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am

Gotta love the advice to not go to law school if you score a 178

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Strange Clouds wrote:Been studying for the LSAT quasi full time since April. Preptest result two days ago was 148; no improvement since I started. I'm taking this to mean I should stop wasting my time and do something else with my life. I haven't studied since then due to complete dejection.

I think you should try a different study method, you can definitely raise your score if you focus and put the time in. Having trouble with the LSAT doesn't mean you're stupid, very few people can justs it down and do well with no preparation.

The LSAT isn't why you shouldn't go to law school however the bolded part might be. You should really consider talking to some lawyers or working in a law firm if you can to see if this is something you really want to do. Your friends and family won't be the ones studying for exams, spending $150,000 on tuition, and working 60-80 hours a week, you will. I'm not saying you definitely shouldn't go but it sounds like you want to go because you want to make some money and because other people expect you to go. I'm sure plenty of people go for the same or similar reasons and I'm sure plenty of people say those are good reasons to go, but to me chasing a big paycheck (that you may or may not get) and doing something because other people expect you to do it just sounds like a nice way to end up unhappy.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 pm

To everyone saying there's clearly something wrong with his study methods, sure, there is, he's been inconsistent, but he took three prep courses. I think that it might just be time for him to throw in the towel, after 2 years and 3 prep courses. Barring that, get your shit straight with your studying (obviously).

Ende

Postby Ende » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 pm

1.So you've been grinding since April and only clocked a 148. Ok, and? Also, if you didn't notice, that score will get you into law school. They are lower tiered programs, but you can still get in.

2. You want a better score? Good! Do what a lot of other people before you have. WORK YOUR ASS OFF!! GET OFF THE FORUMS AND HIT THE BOOKS!

3. You're not stupid. If you think this way, you will BEHAVE THIS WAY. I know, I have experience.

4. Ok, so you spent a ton of money on prep courses and have your score. Have you tried a tutor? Have you tried self-study? Are any of your friends kickin butt on the LSAT, and if they are, is your head up their ass looking for answers? No? WHY NOT?

5. I'm not cosigning an ounce of your shit! "Am I stupid"? WTF kind of question is that? THE PROBLEM CONTAINS THE SOLUTION! And WTF is this voting BS all about? Oh, so you want people to enforce the way you're thinking now to reconfirm your mindset?

6. "I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable". WTF???

Look, you can call me a dick. I'm very much ok with it, and I don't plan on changing. I was (and to a certain degree still am) in the same boat. Me? I could care less if it takes me 3 years to get a good score, and I don't care what it takes. I'm doing it, and its not open for discussion. Look at number 6. That's your reason for wanting to go to law school? Seriously? Are you sure you're committed?

YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE! Change it up! What areas were you good at, and if so, go get better at them. The logic games are a really fun way to de-stress, especially if LR is stressing you out. Start out with the simple linear games and move up. Find the LR questions you're good at and spend more time on them. Go grab the LRB and LGB off Amazon and start reading.

Also, I came across this and had to take a week off. Burnout! You may be experiencing the same thing with the workload the test prep companies are piling on.

So relax, get off the internet, eliminate the distractions, take a week or two off to plan a new attack and then execute. YOU CAN DO IT!

"Winning is a result of a deliberate plan"-Zigler

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Ende wrote:

1.So you've been grinding since April and only clocked a 148. Ok, and? Also, if you didn't notice, that score will get you into law school. They are lower tiered programs, but you can still get in.

2. You want a better score? Good! Do what a lot of other people before you have. WORK YOUR ASS OFF!! GET OFF THE FORUMS AND HIT THE BOOKS!

3. You're not stupid. If you think this way, you will BEHAVE THIS WAY. I know, I have experience.

4. Ok, so you spent a ton of money on prep courses and have your score. Have you tried a tutor? Have you tried self-study? Are any of your friends kickin butt on the LSAT, and if they are, is your head up their ass looking for answers? No? WHY NOT?

5. I'm not cosigning an ounce of your shit! "Am I stupid"? WTF kind of question is that? THE PROBLEM CONTAINS THE SOLUTION! And WTF is this voting BS all about? Oh, so you want people to enforce the way you're thinking now to reconfirm your mindset?

6. "I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable". WTF???

Look, you can call me a dick. I'm very much ok with it, and I don't plan on changing. I was (and to a certain degree still am) in the same boat. Me? I could care less if it takes me 3 years to get a good score, and I don't care what it takes. I'm doing it, and its not open for discussion. Look at number 6. That's your reason for wanting to go to law school? Seriously? Are you sure you're committed?

YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE! Change it up! What areas were you good at, and if so, go get better at them. The logic games are a really fun way to de-stress, especially if LR is stressing you out. Start out with the simple linear games and move up. Find the LR questions you're good at and spend more time on them. Go grab the LRB and LGB off Amazon and start reading.

Also, I came across this and had to take a week off. Burnout! You may be experiencing the same thing with the workload the test prep companies are piling on.

So relax, get off the internet, eliminate the distractions, take a week or two off to plan a new attack and then execute. YOU CAN DO IT!

Yo that's some real shit. You can be my motivation anytime.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 am

Simple question: how many practice tests have you taken under timed conditions?

rouser

Postby rouser » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:55 am

Strange Clouds wrote:Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable.

law school is not particularly enjoyable and will likely not lead to big money. more likely, you will become a pessimistic alcoholic who pretends to have a lot of confidence and friends.

Strange Clouds

Postby Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:39 am

Ende wrote:

Gotcha for the most part. Except #1. I'm HIV positive there's nowhere worth going with that score. Also I feel like shit having not looked for a new job or new skill since April to focus on LSAT prep with nothing to show for it. I'm taking a break to reevaluate things, try to get a job in my major and find a different approach to the test if anything. Also I *have* been working my ass off... and seeing no results. If you argued my approach sucks dick that'd be something else.

Strange Clouds

Postby Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 am

skri65 wrote:Simple question: how many practice tests have you taken under timed conditions?

About five after 7sage. After reviewing mistakes thoroughly and seeing no improvement in the subsequent ones I decided to drill.

Strange Clouds

Postby Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:49 am

rouser wrote:
Strange Clouds wrote:Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable.

law school is not particularly enjoyable and will likely not lead to big money. more likely, you will become a pessimistic alcoholic who pretends to have a lot of confidence and friends.

I'm already a pessimistic alcoholic with no friends. And for me feigning confidence wouldn't be such a bad idea.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 am

Well, it sounds like you want to quit. So just quit and stop wasting time with this poll.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Ende wrote:

Second this. Very litle in life is given, if you want something you have to go get it, and more often than not if you want it so does someone else, which makes your job even that much harder.

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”
-The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch
Live by that.

You can definitely improve past the 140's, just depends on how bad you want it. Check out the forums, there are plenty of people that have done it, why should you be any different!?

1. Get a plan, and get some discipline. 3-4 hours a day/night in one sitting. Don't be all over the place. Find a space you like, turn off the TV, ipod and other distractions and get to work. Anyone can make excuses as to why this isnt possible, few will make it happen. Be one of the few.

2. As mentioned above YOU ARE NOT STUPID! You just need to change your method of studying, maybe even just a bit. Are you consistent with your prep? doesnt seem like it, so start there. Again NO EXCUSES! you mentioned that you have taken prep classes. Some will allow you to retake them free if you are unhappy with your scores (you may have to do a bit of convincing, but if you want it make it happen). Get enrolled and stick to the 3 hours a night.

Also, start out with very focused prep, and start basic. Get the Cambridge bundle and hit LGs. Basic Linear Balanced. Drill. Drill. Drill! Finally when you think you have that group down...Drill them again!! DO NOT STOP DRILLING LG! Even after you move onto the next section(grouping etc drill your old sections too.) You'll find the games build off of each other. Advanced linear, are the same as the basic with a few added inferences or something a little different to make the set up a little difficult.

**Apparently you are repeatedly doing poorly on certain section, use this to your advantage. I bet you only review why a certain answer was correct. Flip this! Do your Cambridge section, check it against the answers. Treat every question like you got it wrong. Go through each answer choice and prove that it is indeed incorrect. DO NOT LEAVE THE QUESTION UNITL YOU CAN PUT INTO WORDS WHY AN ANSWER IS INCORRECT.

3. Find a dedicated partner if you can.

You have a dream, go get it. Dont let this test keep you from doing what you want. Best of luck!

I really hope to see you around on the forum, can't stress this enough...STICK WITH IT!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”