Drilling vs. Testing Conditions

lsatim

Drilling vs. Testing Conditions

Postby lsatim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:02 pm

I had been trending fairly strong upwards but I've noticed that my drilling FAR outperforms my testing. For the last month, I have been drilling extensively on LR and Games and was averaging about a combined 87-90% correct combined. Under testing conditions I now have been averaging 70% or so correct (raw score) which is a decrease from where I was before drilling.

During this time, I haven't been taking any PT's because I have focused on drilling. So, what the hell? I've tested under some fairly terrible conditions including construction and very loud places but I feel like that doesn't justify the point swing.

Any advice? Should I stick with drilling or take more PT's. I'm thinking of taking one every other day with studying in between.

Thanks

lsatim

Re: Drilling vs. Testing Conditions

Postby lsatim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Also, for what it's worth, the drilling has been loosely timed. I don't think you can equate questions to a solid timetable because certain questions are harder and warrant more than the 1:20 or so.

bp shinners

Re: Drilling vs. Testing Conditions

Postby bp shinners » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

If you've been drilling question types, or a random assortment of questions, and not sections, there could be a difficulty discrepancy between the questions you're doing and the test average. Also, if you're doing a ton of the same question in a row, you're going to do better than if you have to randomly jump around question types, as that requires more mental exertion. However, the timing constraints and the fact that when you're done, you're going to have a score can negatively affect your performance.

If ~90% correct is a level at which you'd be happy scoring on the actual test (and it's a pretty high level of accuracy, maybe a little low for Games), then it's time to switch over to PTs. It's normal to see a score decrease when you do that, but you have to work on fixing your timing and getting back to your non-section accuracy in real-world conditions. Still go back and drill question types you struggle with on the actual exams, but it's probably time for PTs to take over your practice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”