LSAT Re-Take

plausibledeniability

LSAT Re-Take

Postby plausibledeniability » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm

I scored a 155 on the October test and was pretty disappointed.

I just looked at my answers on the lsac site and my problem section was reading comprehension. I missed 4 questions in each LR section and 5 questions in the games section but I missed 12 in RC. I ran out of time and put C for the last 5 or 6 questions, none of which happened to be C.

I am re-taking in December and I am satisfied with the scores on my other sections, but how do I improve on RC with such a short amount of time left to study?

Also, I have not even looked at an lsat problem since I took the test in October so I am going to have to do a lot of review. Is it possible for me to improve my score in such a short amount of time?

The only study materials I used were lsac books with past tests in them.

gaud

Re: LSAT Re-Take

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes. You should retake.

Pick up some prep materials or take a class. Manhattan, Powerscore, and Blueprint are all stellar.

There are also study plans in the LSAT Thread (Pithypike's, for example)

Good luck!

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm

That's not a 155

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm

I spent a little over a month doing actual prep and saw substantial gains on all sections, including RC. Practice and a prep course or good self study aide are the biggest things you can do. What was your strategy like on the last RC? Did you do a lot of marking? Did you approach the dual passage section any differently than the others? I did pretty well on everything except games, I'd be happy to give some pointers if you'd like.

plausibledeniability

Postby plausibledeniability » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 pm

I did not do much marking at all. I pretty much just read and searched for answers. I know, that is a very poor strategy. I tried reading the first and last sentences of each passage and identifying whether or not the question was asking for global or local items but I kept finding myself just reading and wasting time.

When time was called I had 6 questions left and put C for all and that's what destroyed my score on that section. I did not do outstanding on any section by any means, but the RC devastated my score.

What is the best way you found to answer RC questions?

plausibledeniability

Postby plausibledeniability » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 pm

banana guy- I did not count them up accurately I just skimmed to identify my major problem section. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one because I told my score up front. I think the actual tally was 14 RC, 6 on both LR and 8 on the games. I am aware I did not do great on any section but I would be content if I could just fix my RC issue and potentially improve by a question or two total on my other sections.

And thanks for the info gaud I will do that too.

TomThompson

Postby TomThompson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Unless you need a class for motivation, I would save the money you would spend on that and just hammer PT's and drilling. Definitely buy the Manhattan bibles. I can't really speak to their effectiveness for RC but if you can get to a point where you are hitting 0/-1 for each of RC/LR/LR you can still be in a very good position.

Honestly I think RC is one of the harder sections to improve on.

Also, while I'm not a particularly experienced test taker, I think PT 67 RC was particularly hard. It has always been my best section and I went -6 (same as LG- my worst section). So it may be an outlier and the next one could be easier- or perhaps it's part of a general trend towards more difficult RC (a serious possibility as my RC scores dropped in PT's 60-66). I guess that didn't help much :?

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 pm

plausibledeniability wrote:I did not do much marking at all. I pretty much just read and searched for answers. I know, that is a very poor strategy. I tried reading the first and last sentences of each passage and identifying whether or not the question was asking for global or local items but I kept finding myself just reading and wasting time.

What is the best way you found to answer RC questions?

Your reading strategy seems to be your main problem. Skipping around and trying to hold information about the questions interferes with your ability to effectively read the passage. You should always start by reading the passage (or the first in a dual passage) in its entirety, then read and answer questions. I found making a pass through the questions and answering those that only pertain to passage 1 is useful in dual passages. When answering a question that asks about a specific line or paragraph, reread that part, and a bit before and after it.

I made exactly one mark on my booklet during RC, so don't think that you have to soak the pages. Highlighting has been found to reduce retention and should be used only for marking certain pieces of information like dates and names. Marginal notes can be useful, but are time consuming; I used them on some PTs, but eventually dropped them because I timed out on some RC sections in the week leading up to the test.

After you finish a section take a few seconds to breath, relax, and throw all the information you just absorbed out of your head. If the dual passage tends to give you trouble do it last so that it's the section you time out on.

I got -2 on RC BTW.

plausibledeniability

Postby plausibledeniability » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for the tip that makes sense. I will give that a try. I also picked up a prep book yesterday and have started studying again, trying to at least get back to where I was before the test so I can hopefully gain some ground before December.

Thanks again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”