Correlation between reading and the LSAT

Poo-T

Correlation between reading and the LSAT

Postby Poo-T » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:17 am

During the last two weeks before I got my score I immersed myself in books and managed to read about 5 novels in my free time (I needed a new hobby). After my shitty score and starting prep again, I'm surprised to find my skill has improved to a certain degree. I feel like I have a keener eye for detail and balancing information.

If I could recommend, I would definitely encourage people to read during their free time. Obviously study when you can, but you can't study all the time or you'll burn out. Reading is very mentally cultivating and at the same time stress relieving.

Idk, just my thoughts. I'm reading Crime and Punishment every night before bed.

btw, this thread is just asking what you guys think. do you agree? or am I full of it?

zipehtzin

Re: Correlation between reading and the LSAT

Postby zipehtzin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

You're right. It's better to exercise your brain with reading than to lull it to laziness with television. Practice reading and you will become a better reader (important for a written test like the LSAT)

JUburton

Postby JUburton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:26 pm

I read Infinite Jest (well the second half of it) during my prep and while I don't know if it helped, it certainly stressed active reading since it's a book you can't really be complacent with. I saw someone reading Gravity's Rainbow at about the same time and I imagine that had a similar effect.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

JUburton wrote:I read Infinite Jest (well the second half of it) during my prep and while I don't know if it helped, it certainly stressed active reading since it's a book you can't really be complacent with. I saw someone reading Gravity's Rainbow at about the same time and I imagine that had a similar effect.

Similarly, I read Ulysses while I was studying, and I feel that it may have helped just as practice with active reading and fast comprehension.

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

this coffee is good

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Poo-T wrote:During the last two weeks before I got my score I immersed myself in books and managed to read about 5 novels in my free time (I needed a new hobby). After my shitty score and starting prep again, I'm surprised to find my skill has improved to a certain degree. I feel like I have a keener eye for detail and balancing information.

Reading is definitely good, but depending on how intensely you were prepping prior to October, the time away from prepping may have been equally good. Periods of high intensity followed by periods of rest often result in greater increases in ability, particularly when the rest is thorough, than high intensity alone or high intensity coupled with little rest.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

In the year off between my LSAT's, I read Don Quixote and The Brothers Karamazov.

I think it helped with the tedious nature/length of RC, definitely. And I was much better able to concentrate whilst reading the passages this time around. Not sure if it was all the reading, but I will say that it definitely helped.

Not so much LR/LG though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”