December or February

tlahood

December or February

Postby tlahood » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm debating whether to use my third retake in either December or February. I scored a 158 OCT 11' and a 155 OCT 12'. I have a nonbinding deferred 75% scholly to MSU, who told me if I raised it to a 160 I would get full tuition. There are some other schools around Illinois I was going to try and score some major schollys to as well (SLU, SIU, Loyola, etc). Should I apply now and study until February and take it then, or should I take it in December and send out apps at the beginning of January? I consistently bomb RC and under perform on LG, I usually miss 10 total on LR.

dirtrida2

Re: December or February

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm

tlahood wrote:I'm debating whether to use my third retake in either December or February. I scored a 158 OCT 11' and a 155 OCT 12'. I have a nonbinding deferred 75% scholly to MSU, who told me if I raised it to a 160 I would get full tuition. There are some other schools around Illinois I was going to try and score some major schollys to as well (SLU, SIU, Loyola, etc). Should I apply now and study until February and take it then, or should I take it in December and send out apps at the beginning of January? I consistently bomb RC and under perform on LG, I usually miss 10 total on LR.

I think you can easily hit a 160 just by focusing on Logic Games, they are the easiest to learn and I am confident that you could master them in a months time. I am in the same boat you are as it comes to RC. It is the hardest section to improve upon; just keep reading a lot of passages and work on your comprehension. If you are only missing 5 a piece consistently on LR then you are about where you should be for a 160+. If you can post 20 positive answers on each section you will be fine.

If getting a full ride to MSU is your main goal and you want to apply this term then find out if they will wait for your February scores. To be honest, I would just knuckle down and take it in December. Its fresh in your mind and you can just continue your studies from October. If you plan to shoot for February, don't slack off because you have 3 months, work hard and get the score you want.

I know a lot of people will come in here and tell you to wait a year, take in June and apply next term. In the end its all up to you.

Good luck, now back to my studying for Dec :D

boblawlob

Re: December or February

Postby boblawlob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:22 am

Depends on how many years away from college are you and how long you are willing to wait.

My stats:
Oct '10: 157
Oct'11: 156

I got sad and decided to not take the risk and take the test when I wasn't ready. Signed up for December and June afterwards but postponed. Then

Oct '12: 163

And I'm still not satisfied. Was waiting the whole year worth it? Absolutely. Had I taken the December LSAT, honestly I would've scored at most 160 (if I was lucky). I had to radically change my studying and really analyze every single question and common patterns and tricks.

But I was not happy with my score from Oct '12. Hence a Dec '12 retake is in order for me.

Good luck with your decision.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”