Transferred entire games section wrong! Halp!!

Tuler09

Transferred entire games section wrong! Halp!!

Postby Tuler09 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 am

Ok so I'm new to TLS and this is probably a bad way to introduce myself but,
I made the BIGGEST rookie mistake ever on the October LSAT.

After pouring over my IRR last night I still cannot comprehend how I did this but here's the situation:

since I did the second games section before the first I bubbled in the answers for questions 6-13 in slots 1-7 and 1-5 in slots 8-12.

If I substitute my answers for the correct questions I would've scored a 169 which I would've been fine with (was hoping to apply early to UCLA).

With this idiotic mistake I'm at a 162, so obviously not applying anywhere until I retake in December.

My question is, is this something LSAC could rescore by hand? If you look at my IRR it's very obvious which answers should've gone where...but I know it's still a stretch.

Any advice besides start studying...?

Thanks!

Poo-T

Re: Transferred entire games section wrong! Halp!!

Postby Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am

I'mma give it to you straight: I doubt it would work.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

Probably won't work.

Probably won't hurt you to ask.

Postby 2014 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

It's worth the hand grade and there have been some anecdotes of that working, but don't bank on it. Do you know if you can submit even a short explanation of why you are requesting the hand grade to point them in the right direction?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Hand scoring is to fix machine error. The machine accurately graded your scantron.

Tuler09

Postby Tuler09 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 pm

I've heard of people getting handscored for missing a question and then bubbling the wrong answers and you can send them an explanation of what happened...I called LSAC and they said it's on a case by case basis, they might just want the 34 bucks but ya, worth the try I guess.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Poo-T wrote:I'mma give it to you straight: I doubt it would work.

cahwc12 wrote:Hand scoring is to fix machine error. The machine accurately graded your scantron.

The second opinion is only partially correct. Hand-scoring is intended for people in your situation as well as those who may have been wrongly scored by computer.

Ask for hand-scoring and explain in detail what went wrong. Contrary to what many here will tell you, the larger the number of questions you miss according to your transfer errors, the better the chance that they will correct the errors and award the higher score. The caveat is that you are better off screwing up in one sections, as you did.

whatisthewhat

Postby whatisthewhat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:18 pm

I actually emailed lsac about this right after the test because i was afraid i had done this. here is the thread:

RE: Misbubbling on LSAT
Lsacinfo [LSACINFO@LSAC.org]
You replied on 10/10/2012 8:35 AM.
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:34 AM
To:

Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

When you submit your request you should include a complete explanation of what you did when you were filling in your answer sheet.

LSAC
Candidate Communications
LSACinfo@LSAC.org

Law School Admission Council
662 Penn Street, Newtown, PA 18940
P: 215.968.1001 • F: 215.968.1119
LSAC.org

Access your account at http://www.LSAC.org for up to the minute information. Or, speak to a telephone representative at 215-968-1001 September to February 8:30 am to 7:00 pm ET; March to August 8:30 am to 4:45 pm ET. Due to heavy volume at this time please allow two to three business days for an e-mail response.

Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:46 PM
To: Lsacinfo
Subject: RE: Misbubbling on LSAT

Thanks very much for your reply—I really appreciate it. So it sounds like LSAC will sometimes consider requests to rescore if what is actually bubbled in on the answer sheet has been scored, but the test taker clearly meant to bubble in something else?

Best,

Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:43 AM
To: **
Subject: RE: Misbubbling on LSAT

Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

If you wish to verify or contest the machine scoring of your answer sheet after you have received your LSAT score, you may request a rescoring of your answer sheet by hand. LSAC will not handscore answers recorded in the test book. Requests to handscore your answer sheet must be made in writing and postmarked no later than 60 days after the test date.

Send a letter that includes:

* Your request for handscoring and your reason for the request

* your name, LSAC assigned identification number

* the test date

* the test center name and code number

* a $43 check or money order payable to LSAC

* your signature

Send your request to:

LSAC

662 Penn St.

Box 2000-T

Newtown, PA 18940-0995

If the handscoring results in a score that is different from the original machine scoring -higher or lower- the revised score will be mailed to you and the law schools to which you apply

If you decide to cancel your score your signed request must be received by LSAC within six calendar days of the test. The fax number is 215-968-1277.

LSAC
Candidate Communications
LSACinfo@LSAC.org

Law School Admission Council
662 Penn Street, Newtown, PA 18940
P: 215.968.1001 • F: 215.968.1119
LSAC.org

Access your account at http://www.LSAC.org for up to the minute information. Or, speak to a telephone representative at 215-968-1001 September to February 8:30 am to 7:00 pm ET; March to August 8:30 am to 4:45 pm ET. Due to heavy volume at this time please allow two to three business days for an e-mail response.

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 6:06 PM
To: Lsacinfo
Subject: Misbubbling on LSAT

Hi there,

I hope you had a nice weekend.

I was hoping that you might be able to let me know what happens if a candidate misbubbles a series of questions. I’m afraid that I shifted half my Logic Games section over by one.

Is there any recourse when this happens? Even being able to cancel my score at that point would be wonderful.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Best,

Tuler09

Postby Tuler09 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Update: In case anyone ever has a similar situation there is hope!! LSAC changed my score and I got my 169. If you ever are considering hand scoring GO FOR IT. Well worth $43.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Tuler09 wrote:Update: In case anyone ever has a similar situation there is hope!! LSAC changed my score and I got my 169. If you ever are considering hand scoring GO FOR IT. Well worth $43.

Great news & congratulations - I'll link to this thread in the future when people ask.

edit so i can find in my posthistory: misbubble handscoring

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Tuler09 wrote:Update: In case anyone ever has a similar situation there is hope!! LSAC changed my score and I got my 169. If you ever are considering hand scoring GO FOR IT. Well worth $43.

This is excellent news for all future test takers who are willing to use search! :) Thanks for keeping us posted!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Could you post the full email correspondence as well as your before/after scantron/conversion?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”