Feb/june 2013 retake: how do you just put your life on hold?

M.M.

Feb/june 2013 retake: how do you just put your life on hold?

Postby M.M. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 am

- Took Oct test: 161. Was PT averaging 167
- studying for December, but I don't feel confident at all I'll get it. I never have, and after this dismal 161 I feel even less sure.
- If I don't make a 170 + in December, I will just have to delay life for a year. I wouldn't be able to make the fall 2012 app cycle.
- There's NOTHING for me with my degree other than just staying in school, exploring things I might like, possibly getting another degree, upping my GPA and LSAT
- And this comes at the cost of 1 year of my life and easily 100k+ in opportunity cost
- How do people just say "well, I didn't make the LSAT score I wanted, guess I'll wait 2 years"

Am I just being immature? I know I am, I'm only an early 20 year old and listening to the experiences of people on this forum has opened my eyes to that.... but I just can't imagine stagnating for a year to take the LSAT again. How do you deal with it? I wasn't stressed for this last test and already did this poorly, I'm just imagining how the stress of realizing that I'll miss a full year of my life will affect me on test day in December ..

gobosox

Re: Feb/june 2013 retake: how do you just put your life on hold?

Postby gobosox » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Law school isn't the end all be all... Don't put your life on hold to study for the LSAT, despite what some people on here have done.

If you didn't get a grade that will get you in, then maybe you should look at different avenues of life. If the only thing you want to do in life is be a lawyer, you'll have the motivation to study 10 hours a day to get a good score.

Might not be what you want to hear, but life is about economically prioritizing happiness-- how much happiness and fulfillment will law school bring you? If it's less than it's worth to study for 10 hours a day, then maybe it's not for you.

Funkycrime

Postby Funkycrime » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm

First off, don't study 10 hours a day. Not productive. Also, chill out and stop putting so much pressure on yourself to score high and apply this cycle. Being terrified of bombing again and feeling like December is your only hope will be detrimental to your score, I promise. Realize that a year off won't be so bad at all. You can gain WE that will aid your applications and, perhaps more importantly, your legal career prospects. Use the extra time to travel and enjoy yourself too. You won't always have as much time for yourself as you will have now before law school and your career begins.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:20 pm

M.M. wrote:Am I just being immature? I know I am, I'm only an early 20 year old and listening to the experiences of people on this forum has opened my eyes to that.... but I just can't imagine stagnating for a year to take the LSAT again.

In short, yes. Law school will always be there. You don't stagnate for a year - there are a ton of things you can do to fill your time that will be worthwhile. Heading to law school when you're 20 is, to me, a much worse idea than waiting a year to apply. Even 21. If I had to do it again, I would have waited 2-3 years to apply.

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 am

Took the LSAT in June, wretchedly unprepared. Didn't buy any bibles or PTs. Did okay on it, considering I deserved a 140. I'm graduating undergrad in May and planning to retake next June, so my final semester of UG will be consumed with prep. I'm actually ready for this semester to be over with so I can begin prepping.

So, I guess I'm "stagnating" for at least a year in order to retake, but IMO it's definitely worth it. I won't be a K-JD and hopefully I'll get a 170+. I'd take five years off if it meant nabbing a substantial scholarship I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm retaking for the third time in December, if I'm not scoring where I want to a week before I'm just gonna suck it up and not apply. I already feel like my life's been on hold since I graduated a year a half ago, the last thing I want to do is put it on hold for another year. But the alternative seems to be applying and getting rejected everywhere or applying to a school where I know all I can look forward to is being an unemployed and $150,000 in debt. I guess it's really just being honest with yourself and realizing that waiting, even though it sucks, is the best options. I've watched almost all of my friends go on to masters programs, get jobs they actually like, and start relationships and I feel like all I've been doing is talking about going to law school only to have the LSAT kick my ass twice.

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Stupe wrote:Took the LSAT in June, wretchedly unprepared. Didn't buy any bibles or PTs. Did okay on it, considering I deserved a 140. I'm graduating undergrad in May and planning to retake next June, so my final semester of UG will be consumed with prep. I'm actually ready for this semester to be over with so I can begin prepping.

So, I guess I'm "stagnating" for at least a year in order to retake, but IMO it's definitely worth it. I won't be a K-JD and hopefully I'll get a 170+. I'd take five years off if it meant nabbing a substantial scholarship I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

+1.

Being a K-JD seems kind of terrible, too.

DougieFresh

Postby DougieFresh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:27 pm

I feel your pain. Scored a 158 on the October test, well below where I was PTing. When the score first appeared it was devastating. Just remember that everything in life happens for a reason, take advantage of this extra year that has been given to you.

Study and dominate your June retake, but then take some time to travel, gain valuable work experience. Look for volunteer or internship opportunities in fields that might be interesting to you in the future. Focus on you, and of the fact that you have no major responsibilities, no debt (or much less debt than you soon will have), and ENJOY life.

See you around in the June retakers thread!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”