Adrenaline and the RC section

dscgrant

Adrenaline and the RC section

Postby dscgrant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 pm

My RC sections have always been very volatile, fluctuating from -9 to -0 with little explanation. The three PTs I took before the October test were 177, 177, and 179 respectively. On test day, I dropped to a 169 almost exclusively due to RC - 9 out of the 12 questions I missed came from this section. I can be a great reader, but my weakness is focus. Under pressure, I am not a great reader. I'm retaking in December, and I wanted to know if anyone had any insights into this particular problem. I've looked into plenty of RC strategies - which helped immensely - and strategies for staying calm. Honestly, I'm thinking of just bringing a water bottle of vodka for the test next time. Hoping, however, that nerves will will more settled for the next test. October was my first standardized test in seven years. Real talk.

liupang

Re: Adrenaline and the RC section

Postby liupang » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:28 am

dscgrant wrote:My RC sections have always been very volatile, fluctuating from -9 to -0 with little explanation. The three PTs I took before the October test were 177, 177, and 179 respectively. On test day, I dropped to a 169 almost exclusively due to RC - 9 out of the 12 questions I missed came from this section. I can be a great reader, but my weakness is focus. Under pressure, I am not a great reader. I'm retaking in December, and I wanted to know if anyone had any insights into this particular problem. I've looked into plenty of RC strategies - which helped immensely - and strategies for staying calm. Honestly, I'm thinking of just bringing a water bottle of vodka for the test next time. Hoping, however, that nerves will will more settled for the next test. October was my first standardized test in seven years. Real talk.

I hear you. Same thing here. I was so much under the influence of Adrenaline, that I really can't focus on any long passage, so I really bombed my RC. In RC I usually get -5 to 0 and an average of -3 on PTs.

Strange thing is, have too much Adrenaline seems to be helpful with LR. The length of LR questions seems just right under a Adrenaline influenced mind.

For LG it seems Adrenaline make you miss instant inferences, luckily for me I get them in last 5 mins.

bubba1580

Postby bubba1580 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am

I hear yea man..I pulled a 166 also because I went -9 on RC - when I usually safely score -5 or better.

Your mindset should be that because you already have a respectable and impressive 169 under ur belt, u should treat December like you have nothing to lose.

CU44BMD

Postby CU44BMD » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Agree with you 100% percent about the adrenaline factor and bombing the RC sections. I got RC first on the OCT' 2012 administration and I think when RC is your first section your adrenaline is ramped up X2. I'm deff. going to try and refine my warmup to equate for an RC 1st section. As for keeping calm please PM any tactics or input, if not I'll just do the vodka in the water bottle:)

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I got -9 on RC too. I agree about the whole adrenaline bit. I remember not being able to immerse myself in what I was doing and not knowing WHAT the hell the right answers were.

as we speak I'm working on forming a more concrete strategy for December...

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Take tests in loud places (Barnes & Noble, Starbucks), etc, and still time yourself. On test day, just keep repeating to yourself "prep test 68 prep test 68". FORCE yourself to think of the real test as a prep test. You already have a great score - go in there thinking "fuck it - prep test 68, I'll destroy it". As much as you can just FORCE yourself not to put pressure on the test. These two ways were how I overcame test anxiety.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”