PT 32, S 3, G 3

ws81086n

PT 32, S 3, G 3

Postby ws81086n » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:03 pm

This is one of the two games MLSAT has as practice at the end of their "basic ordering" chapter. Took me 18 minutes to get 6/7 correct. It is 7 questions and it is definitely hard, so it seems like a game that one would have to spend a good chunk of the 35 minutes on, but obviously 18 mins is far too long. Is an ordering game this hard a possibility on a recent (i.e., easier games) LSAT? I found the second game they had at the end of the chapter (pt 19 s 1 g1 ), which they deemed "fairly challenging", to be much, much easier.

fastforward

Re: PT 32, S 3, G 3

Postby fastforward » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

This is a good example of why I often need to remind clients that "basic" or "simple" linear games does not mean "easy" games.

A quick glance at the rules tells us that O is the most restricted variable, so begin by building templates around O.

The L8 or H8 rule precludes the O-_-P-S string if we place O in 5, so must we have either (O1)-_-P-S or P-S-_(O5)

From there, ordering options are severely limited and the game much more manageable.

Any time you identify the most restricted variable(s) and begin building around them, you can reduce your time substantially.

Hope this helps!

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Didn't really mean to imply that ordering games were necessarily easy, though that's obv how it came across. Also, very much appreciate the strategy help, but you didn't answer my question. My question is essentially: what % of games are potentially this hard on a recent LSAT? Obviously an exact answer is impossible, but a ball park would be nice if that is possible.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:09 pm

I didn't think you thought they were easy -- but I seem to need to keep reminding certain clients they aren't!

To answer your question: Yes, difficult simple ordering games are so common on recent tests that you should definitely be ready for at least one! In fact, I think this game is quite similar to some recent games.

I hope I helped this time. Score-release day is tough on tutors, too! 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”