point at issue/ point of disagreement questions

nosleeptillsuccess

point at issue/ point of disagreement questions

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 am

what's your method.. I think these are supposed to be easy, but I keep getting them wrong!

What's your method??

bp shinners

Re: point at issue/ point of disagreement questions

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 am

Treat these questions as MBT/MBF questions.

What do I mean by this?

The trickiest part of these questions is eliminating answer choices where one of the speakers in the stimulus doesn't necessarily have an opinion. They write these answers to make you think the person should agree/disagree with the statement, but in reality they aren't logically committed to it.

So treat these questions as a Must Be False/Must Be True - the correct answer will have one speaker for which the statement Must be True (i.e. they're logically committed to it, 100%), and for the other speaker it Must be False (0% chance of them agreeing with it). You need the same logical certainty for both of these viewpoints as you do for the respective implication questions.

cgood

Re: point at issue/ point of disagreement questions

Postby cgood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 pm

The Yes/No test is very helpful.
When one person says yes, they agree with the statement, and the other says no, they disagree, the answer should be looking pretty good. Basically you want an answer that polarizes both people where one will agree and one will disagree. If the answer choice does not have one person saying yes and the other saying no, it is not the correct answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”