I Can't Make Myself Study Anymore

fortheshoes

I Can't Make Myself Study Anymore

Postby fortheshoes » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:04 pm

I started w/ a 151 and managed to get to 165 (goal is 171). I was doing really well, and was looking forward to studying. I studied a lot (15+ hours during the weekend, hour or two every other night), and was enjoying myself. But I haven't even had the energy or to open a book in the last week. By the way, I work full-time as a writer, if that offers any context.

What the hell is going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

WhiteyCakes

Re: I Can't Make Myself Study Anymore

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:06 pm

You need to man up and show some discipline. Nobody wants to study their ass off for the LSAT, you just suck it up and do it because you know that it will be a benefit in the long-run.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:24 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:You need to man up and show some discipline. Nobody wants to study their ass off for the LSAT, you just suck it up and do it because you know that it will be a benefit in the long-run.

i want to study my ass off for the lsat. i find it to be fun at this point. it is classwork that i am finding to be tedious and distracting. make whatever you're doing as entertaining as possible.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 pm

fortheshoes wrote:I started w/ a 151 and managed to get to 165 (goal is 171). I was doing really well, and was looking forward to studying. I studied a lot (15+ hours during the weekend, hour or two every other night), and was enjoying myself. But I haven't even had the energy or to open a book in the last week. By the way, I work full-time as a writer, if that offers any context.

What the hell is going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

You may be burned out. I went through something similar myself (work 60+ hours/week, studying 20+ hours/week), and was able to snap out of it by taking a couple days off to rest, review my progress, and refocus on my goal. Assuming your goal is 171 because that's the score you need in order to be admitted into your target schools, you may want to consider what's going to happen if you don't get into those schools. After the second time I got burned out, I started pacing myself a little better, not forcing myself to study when I knew I was too tired to be effective. I dropped from 8+ cups of coffee/day down to 2-3/day during the week. I still am prone to do 6+ cups of coffee on weekends, but am keeping a close eye on my mental state, and don't force myself when it gets to be too much.
Last edited by Cerebro on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Take a few days off. Then spend a couple hours reading threads about unemployed grads from good law schools. You should be sufficiently motivated by then to do everything in your power to improve your LSAT score.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Take a few days off. Burn out can happen when studying like crazy for this test.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:You need to man up and show some discipline. Nobody wants to study their ass off for the LSAT, you just suck it up and do it because you know that it will be a benefit in the long-run.

Right overall attitude, wrong advice in this case. Take a few days off, don't worry about the LSAT, and then get back to studying.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:07 pm

abdistotle wrote:

i want to study my ass off for the lsat. i find it to be fun at this point. it is classwork that i am finding to be tedious and distracting. make whatever you're doing as entertaining as possible.

Ever been kicked in the teeth?

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:38 am

abdistotle wrote:

This. Drinking/socializing/having fun was never as distracting or detrimental to my GPA as the LSAT has been.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:47 pm

I would take a few days off. I'm self-employed, and I have a similar issue. I LOVE what I do, but I have to remember to take a break from it, or I won't be good at it.

During the couple of days off, your subconscious will be at work making sense of everything you've seen. Trust it. Go to a museum, read a book, see friends, etc.

Then get back at it. It doesn't sound like discipline is your problem, normally.

fortheshoes

Postby fortheshoes » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Take a few days off. Then spend a couple hours reading threads about unemployed grads from good law schools. You should be sufficiently motivated by then to do everything in your power to improve your LSAT score.

I think one of the issues is that I have been reading about unemployed grads. It's at the point where it's like, 'Why bother? I'm just going to be unemployed anyways."

By the way, thanks to everyone for the support.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm

fortheshoes wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Take a few days off. Then spend a couple hours reading threads about unemployed grads from good law schools. You should be sufficiently motivated by then to do everything in your power to improve your LSAT score.

I think one of the issues is that I have been reading about unemployed grads. It's at the point where it's like, 'Why bother? I'm just going to be unemployed anyways."

By the way, thanks to everyone for the support.

No doubt. The other day, I was thinking: Some day I'm going to be dead. That day may come sooner than I expect. When it does come, I won't care about LG or improving my timing on LR sections; I won't care about anything at all. So, what's the point?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”