Is there hope?

gillyflowers
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Is there hope?

Postby gillyflowers » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I took a PT cold and made a 162. I did decently well on the RC and LR sections, but the logic games stumped me. I have heard that the LG section is easy to master through studying, and I was hoping to make above a 170 on the actual test.

However, some people have been telling me that the LG sections on the actual test days have been harder than the practice ones, and one of my professors even said that he doubted I could make above a 165. Should I give up hope now? How should I prepare myself to take a test with harder LG's than any practice ones I've seen?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Is there hope?

Postby Cobretti » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Cold PT at 162 can definitely be brought up into the 170s. The new LGs are different, with less inferences to draw and more time spent plugging and chugging; doesn't necessarily mean they are harder. You're way too early in the process to start stressing about it, you gotta put your time in and see how it goes.

Also, your professor is a dick.

skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby skri65 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 pm

My cold diagnostic was a 147. Up until the October LSAT I was averaging 168-172.

Naturally, I've choked when it came to the real thing, but a jump into the 170s from where you are is not only possible, but it is probable. Just go through powerscore bibles and PT like crazy. I wouldn't even bother with tutoring.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Is there hope?

Postby Icculus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 pm

My diagnostic was a 157. Ended up with a 173.

The most trouble I had to start was LG and ended up going -1 on the real thing.

User avatar
Funkycrime
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby Funkycrime » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah dude just give up. No way you're bringing that score up.

User avatar
LSAT Hacks (Graeme)
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 pm

What's your timeframe?

It sounds like you should be able to hit 170. Your professor doesn't know what he's talking about. LG is by far the easiest section to improve at, and 8 points is an average score increase (through improvements are harder to come back at higher score ranges).

The LG sections aren't harder than the practice tests. The practice tests ARE actual LSATs from former years. That's assuming you're using official LSAC materials, which you should be.

inevitable510
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Is there hope?

Postby inevitable510 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am

Wow, your professor is..just wrong. Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. That's a REALLY solid diagnostic. I started off in the low 150s but am currently near or above 170 and I'm not taking the test till February. Keep at it, you'll be fine.

sconnielaw13
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby sconnielaw13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 am

If you tanked the LG and still scored a 162 cold you should definetly be able to improve your score past 165. I was constantly getting 12-14 wrong on the LG. Then I read and worked through the Powerscore LG Bible. By the time I took the test I was constantly getting 0 to 2 wrong. On test day I only got two wrong. You will be just fine.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby nickb285 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 am

My increase wasn't as dramatic as some here, but over the course of a month and a half I went from a 160 diagnostic to a 169 on the real thing (and had I bubbled in an answer literally 1.5 seconds faster, I'd have had a 170. Not that I'm still bitter about that or anything). Your professor is full of crap.
Last edited by nickb285 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d0rklord
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby d0rklord » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 pm

inevitable510 wrote:Wow, your professor is..just wrong. Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. That's a REALLY solid diagnostic. I started off in the low 150s but am currently near or above 170 and I'm not taking the test till February. Keep at it, you'll be fine.


Are you applying this cycle? I'm so tempted to take Feb but it's depressing me :(

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:13 am

Lol you're fine.

My first LSAT was 162. I mean, I bombed it (and mis-bubbled the first LR section starting at #20) but even then I would have only earned a 165.

Before I took October, I was PTing 173-175 and usually 4-5 of that was RC (which always destroyed me).

Logic Game Bibles. PT like crazy. Drill your problem areas. Review your PTs and drill some more. Whenever you're feeling down, take a former PT again. This always was a confidence booster of mine. Sure, the 179 I got was inflated because I was familiar with the test, but it feels good to see the results of studying.

Don't trip and your professor is a talking out of his ass.
Last edited by dproduct on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegso
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby vegso » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 am

gillyflowers wrote:I took a PT cold and made a 162. I did decently well on the RC and LR sections, but the logic games stumped me. I have heard that the LG section is easy to master through studying, and I was hoping to make above a 170 on the actual test.

However, some people have been telling me that the LG sections on the actual test days have been harder than the practice ones, and one of my professors even said that he doubted I could make above a 165. Should I give up hope now? How should I prepare myself to take a test with harder LG's than any practice ones I've seen?


You realize the test days LG's are the same LG's that are practice tests? those are real questions, they literally can't be any harder (minus normal variance)

And your prof is flat out wrong anyone can get a 170 with hard enough work

inevitable510
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Is there hope?

Postby inevitable510 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 am

d0rklord wrote:
inevitable510 wrote:Wow, your professor is..just wrong. Don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. That's a REALLY solid diagnostic. I started off in the low 150s but am currently near or above 170 and I'm not taking the test till February. Keep at it, you'll be fine.


Are you applying this cycle? I'm so tempted to take Feb but it's depressing me :(


No, I'm applying next cycle..I might submit an app for the hell of it after the Feb test but I won't be expecting much. :)

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Your professor is an idiot. Cold PTd a 158 or 159 (can't remember), took June and got a 169, before the October retake my last five PT average was 177.6 (2 177s and 3 178s). You'll be fine if you work hard and smart at this.

gillyflowers
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Is there hope?

Postby gillyflowers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks so much everybody! This has made me feel a lot better. I've been working on the Logic Games Bible and taking practice tests, and it's already getting easier.

Also, thanks for confirming that my professor is a dick. I feel very vindicated.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace and 5 guests