I'm so overwhelmed

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 pm

IAFG wrote:
ThickaThanASnicka wrote:
Jas wrote:Sorry if this is a double-post:

Maybe just try to take a practice test? You never know, you might score high enough to begin with. I mean, study if you have to, but not everyone has to study the same amount of time to get the same score.

Also, why don't you just delay your UG graduation until spring? Is that possible? Spread out your classes. Being "so overwhelmed" is awful. Slow down, enjoy your life. If you don't learn how to do that, law school will be a nightmare.


I think I'm going to take a practice test tomorrow with my friend, I have no idea how I will score or anything though lol. Thankfully, I know at least 3 people who are also trying to take the LSAT either in Dec/Feb, so I was going to try to create a study group.

Oh trust me, I actually thought about delaying grad until spring, but the 4 classes I'm taking now are all I need to finish both of my majors. So I would just be paying/taking courses that won't go towards anything, even though I could just take electives and boost my GPA, but that doesn't really make sense lol. Unfortunately, the classes I'm taking now are hard as fuck, my prof, who teaches 2 of my classes, recently told me that I shouldnt have taken them in the same semester because all of his students who did either got Ds/Fs FML. Oh well, only a month more....

If you could move your GPA over your target schools' medians and your tuition is not too expensive it would make a ton of sense, since that would improve your chances of getting scholarship money.


My GPA is kinda low (3.3) because of my freshmen year, and what I was majoring in at the time, so dunno how much taking the classes could pull it up, I'll think about it though.

Let's say I get a 170 on the LSAT, have a 3.3 UGPA, I wonder if I will get scholarship $$...Im also a AA female, don't know if that factors in awarding scholarships.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 am

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:


"Don't Go to Law School (Unless)...." Interesting title. Is that supposed to be a reality check for people entering LS or something?


Yes, that's exactly what it is. You seem nice, and you also seem to have absolutely no idea what you're getting into. Your father should also read the book.

You should do this today before doing any additional LSAT-related things.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 am

cahwc12 wrote:
ThickaThanASnicka wrote:


"Don't Go to Law School (Unless)...." Interesting title. Is that supposed to be a reality check for people entering LS or something?


Yes, that's exactly what it is. You seem nice, and you also seem to have absolutely no idea what you're getting into. Your father should also read the book.

You should do this today before doing any additional LSAT-related things.


So are you a law student or lawyer who hates or doesnt enjoy law? I ask because you seem really interesting in making me not like it as well lol. Or you could be well intentioned and just want me (a complete stranger) to make sure that I am choosing the best career path for myself and what I will enjoy. For that, I'll check out the book, I'm always open to expanding my knowledge, especially about a field I may potentially dedicate my life to. :D

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:10 am

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
ThickaThanASnicka wrote:


"Don't Go to Law School (Unless)...." Interesting title. Is that supposed to be a reality check for people entering LS or something?


Yes, that's exactly what it is. You seem nice, and you also seem to have absolutely no idea what you're getting into. Your father should also read the book.

You should do this today before doing any additional LSAT-related things.


So are you a law student or lawyer who hates or doesnt enjoy law? I ask because you seem really interesting in making me not like it as well lol. Or you could be well intentioned and just want me (a complete stranger) to make sure that I am choosing the best career path for myself and what I will enjoy. For that, I'll check out the book, I'm always open to expanding my knowledge, especially about a field I may potentially dedicate my life to. :D

Really, everyone should read that book. If for no other reason, it saves you having to learn it very slowly over time on TLS.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 am

Alright I'll read it. Preciate it...

User avatar
Honey_Badger
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Honey_Badger » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 am

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
ThickaThanASnicka wrote:


"Don't Go to Law School (Unless)...." Interesting title. Is that supposed to be a reality check for people entering LS or something?


Yes, that's exactly what it is. You seem nice, and you also seem to have absolutely no idea what you're getting into. Your father should also read the book.

You should do this today before doing any additional LSAT-related things.


So are you a law student or lawyer who hates or doesnt enjoy law? I ask because you seem really interesting in making me not like it as well lol. Or you could be well intentioned and just want me (a complete stranger) to make sure that I am choosing the best career path for myself and what I will enjoy. For that, I'll check out the book, I'm always open to expanding my knowledge, especially about a field I may potentially dedicate my life to. :D


The second part. You'll find nasty people here, but I would say most are cynical (realistic) about the cost of law school versus the return.
You are very young, and to start out with such crushing student loans would be awful.
I'd boost the GPA as much as possible. As an AA female it definitely helps, but why turn away extra money? If it were possible, I would advise you to take a year or two and get some work experience. The LSAT scores are good for several years, so there is no great rush.
There are some great study guides here that will help you plan your studying. Accuracy is key in the beginning, then move for speed.
I'm glad you are going to take dad to SMU. Remembering supporting you means supporting your decisions, not just supporting you going to law school so he can add your name to the door.

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Jas » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 pm

"Really, everyone should read that book. If for no other reason, it saves you having to learn it very slowly over time on TLS."

Oh please, the only thing you really learn on TLS is how awful most people on TLS are.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:31 am

Jas wrote:"Really, everyone should read that book. If for no other reason, it saves you having to learn it very slowly over time on TLS."

Oh please, the only thing you really learn on TLS is how awful most people on TLS are.

If it weren't for TLS, I seriously doubt I would have a post-grad job. Or my husband. Or my daughter.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 am

IAFG wrote:
Jas wrote:"Really, everyone should read that book. If for no other reason, it saves you having to learn it very slowly over time on TLS."

Oh please, the only thing you really learn on TLS is how awful most people on TLS are.

If it weren't for TLS, I seriously doubt I would have a post-grad job. Or my husband. Or my daughter.


sounds like we found a spokeswoman

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 am

Kinda off topic, but do any of you all know what a "legal intake specialist" is? I have an interview at a law firm for this position. I'm thinking its a glorified admin, maybe screen some clients but I'm not even sure. But shit it pays well for not even having a degree yet lol.

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Jas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
Jas wrote:"Really, everyone should read that book. If for no other reason, it saves you having to learn it very slowly over time on TLS."

Oh please, the only thing you really learn on TLS is how awful most people on TLS are.

If it weren't for TLS, I seriously doubt I would have a post-grad job. Or my husband. Or my daughter.


I can't be sure if you're being sarcastic or sincere. Care to explain? How is it that you extracted helpful information from the vitriol and fear mongering of a collection of know-it-alls? Maybe you are referring to TLS itself, rather than the forum participants?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests