I'm so overwhelmed

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello all,

Okay, so I'm about to begin studying for the LSAT, and I'm so overwhelmed as to which books are the best to study with, how to get PT's etc etc. My dad went out and bought me the PR Cracking the LSAT 2013 edition, which I appreciate, but I've been reading that this book is worthless. Is that true? I thought that it could still be of some value because it could help explain the theory of each section. I've been reading that the Powerscore and LSAC book of tests are the best. Money is limited at the moment, so what is the most efficient and cheapest way to get the Prep/books I need? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Also, I've been reading that I need to get the 10 most recent LSAT/PT tests? I'm not exactly sure where to get them. Online? I'm just confused, if anyone would like to PM me on how I could them, that would be great!

Also, I am just beginning to study for the LSAT, and I wanted to take it in December, but I'm beginning to think that is nowhere near enough time to study for it. My only problem is that if I take it in Feb, it would not make sense for me to apply to Law Schools for this cycle. And I wanted to begin Law School in 2013. Would it be best to study as hard as I can for a month and take it in Dec, or just give myself a few more months and take it in Feb, knowing that I would be applying very late in the application cycle? Any opinions would be welcome. Keep in mind that I am taking 16 hours of classes to finish my undergrad in Dec, as I will have to be studying for my finals in Dec as well; so to say that I am a bit overwhelmed is an understatement.

Please forgive if this is a bit disjointed, I am typing quickly as I have somewhere to be. Thanks!

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby boblawlob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 pm

If you are not PTing consistently within your target score range, then you are not ready and should not take it.

Sincerely,
Someone who regrets the first time he took the LSAT because he thought a miracle could happen.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Cobretti » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I started by reading the entire powerscore series before I took any PTs, and I think everyone should start this way. Taking a completely cold diagnostic only serves to scare you into signing up for a $2,000 class. Read the powerscore series then start taking PTs. At that point you should determine if you need to take a class or not.

Powerscore LG Bible: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Logic-Games-Bible/dp/0980178207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351359144&sr=8-1&keywords=powerscore+bible+lsat
Powerscore LR Bible: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Logical-Reasoning-Bible/dp/0980178258/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y
Powerscore RC Bible: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Reading-Comprehension-Bible/dp/0980178290/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

Once you've read all of those, then you start doing PTs. Every time you do a PT go through all of your wrong answers in depth. I tracked everything I got wrong in an excel spreadsheet, with reason codes for why I got them wrong. This was the best way I found to zero in on what my weaknesses really were. Once you can identify exactly what your typical mistakes are, you can start making serious progress in your consistency.

Links to the official PT booklets: https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Publications.aspx

I've heard the LSAC superprep is good too, but I didn't get it.

And as a general study tip, don't let yourself get burned out. If you need to take a day or two off here and there, do it. Once you get burned out you stop progressing, and you may even start making more silly mistakes that you'd previously fixed. So be diligent but know when to step away.

Good luck.

Edit: Also, December is possible but not likely. You can sign up for it and just be ready to cancel, but like the above poster said, don't do it if you aren't in your range. Waiting a year to apply isn't the end of the world.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks so much. I think you are both right, if I'm not in my range by Dec, i will just wait to take it feb!

Ok, so should I just return the Princeton Review book? No one ever mentions how it helped them prepare for the LSAT, so im guessing its not good lol. Thanks for the links to the power score books, ill go order them!

Where do I get the PTs? Besides the ones that are in the company books. Any websites have some? LSAC?

Thanks for the advice!

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Cobretti » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:Thanks so much. I think you are both right, if I'm not in my range by Dec, i will just wait to take it feb!

Ok, so should I just return the Princeton Review book? No one ever mentions how it helped them prepare for the LSAT, so im guessing its not good lol. Thanks for the links to the power score books, ill go order them!

Where do I get the PTs? Besides the ones that are in the company books. Any websites have some? LSAC?

Thanks for the advice!


General consensus seems to be powerscore and manhattan are significantly better than anything else, including princeton.

Edit nvm... I see the link doesn't work... one sec...
Last edited by Cobretti on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Not sure how to edit on my phone. But I didn't see your link to the official PT booklet, so excuse that question. Thanks.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Cobretti » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Link didn't work because you had to be logged in to view it. Here they are on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=10+real+lsats

And I'm referring to the top 4 results, the ones that were actually released by LSAC.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:50 pm

If you are just starting now and have any other obligations, absent a killer cold diagnostic I SERIOUSLY doubt you will be ready by December. If you are taking the February it is too late for this cycle anyway.

Please tell me you didn't just graduate this spring and have been spinning your wheels and are taking the LSAT ( with dad's encouragement) because you just don't know what else to do.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I shall go right now and order those PTs. Preciate all the links too :D

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:00 pm

IAFG wrote:If you are just starting now and have any other obligations, absent a killer cold diagnostic I SERIOUSLY doubt you will be ready by December. If you are taking the February it is too late for this cycle anyway.

Please tell me you didn't just graduate this spring and have been spinning your wheels and are taking the LSAT ( with dad's encouragement) because you just don't know what else to do.


No, I will actually graduate this fall in December. Ok here's the tea, I've always wanted to go to law school since I was younger. I strayed away from that though; entered college as an engineering major, hated it and didn't do well. Switched uni's and majors and began to seriously think about law school again this year. I did some soul searching and decided yes I want to do this; only thing is I realize that I am taking it too late.

My dad is the type of person, that just because he is a lawyer, he thinks knows everything about the process, which is extremely annoying. He thinks even if I take it in feb I can still apply to schools for this cycle (he has this old school, you can do anything you put your mind to type of mindset). Anyway, but yeah, that's my situation. Think I will just take it in feb, and wait a year, no matter what he thinks.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby sabanist » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm

If you're looking for super cheap and really good prep, you can get the Manhattan Guides on Kindle (no need for an actual Kindle, you can download the software to your computer and read on there) for $10 each.
I loved Powerscore as a foundation, but Manhattan really pushed me over the plateau. I'd recommend both if at all possible.
I'm glad you're realistic about waiting a year. You might be fine for February, but don't be afraid to wait until June, either, if you're applying c/o 2017.
Good luck!

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks Sabanist! How can I download the kindle software to my computer?

I think I will be getting both! :D

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby sabanist » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:05 pm

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:Thanks Sabanist! How can I download the kindle software to my computer?

I think I will be getting both! :D

Here's the page with all of their apps (for PC, Mac, tablets, and phones): http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000493771

bobm89
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby bobm89 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:18 pm

I preferred the Manhattan logic games book to the Bible.

User avatar
Honey_Badger
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Honey_Badger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:47 pm

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:My dad is the type of person, that just because he is a lawyer, he thinks knows everything about the process, which is extremely annoying. He thinks even if I take it in feb I can still apply to schools for this cycle (he has this old school, you can do anything you put your mind to type of mindset). Anyway, but yeah, that's my situation. Think I will just take it in feb, and wait a year, no matter what he thinks.


Is dad paying for law school? Either way, it may behoove you to make an appointment with an admissions person at a nearby, somewhat reputable, law school. Take dad and present these scenarios so he can hear for himself the unlikely idea that you would be accepted at your school of choice, let alone receive scholarship money.

My thought is your family really needs to support you in this endeavor, so it might take some of the pressure off of you for him to hear it from someone else (and give him a clearer idea that school is not what it was 20+ years ago...)

Just an idea.

ppl123
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ppl123 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:50 pm

i think you can do it in a month with a lot of effort. it took me about 2 months to feel completely ready... but everyone is different. definitely not impossible. i would at the very least go for it.... apply, see what happens with the score you get. worst case scenario you re-write when you are ready and re-apply next cycle. goodluck :)


ThickaThanASnicka wrote:Hello all,

Okay, so I'm about to begin studying for the LSAT, and I'm so overwhelmed as to which books are the best to study with, how to get PT's etc etc. My dad went out and bought me the PR Cracking the LSAT 2013 edition, which I appreciate, but I've been reading that this book is worthless. Is that true? I thought that it could still be of some value because it could help explain the theory of each section. I've been reading that the Powerscore and LSAC book of tests are the best. Money is limited at the moment, so what is the most efficient and cheapest way to get the Prep/books I need? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Also, I've been reading that I need to get the 10 most recent LSAT/PT tests? I'm not exactly sure where to get them. Online? I'm just confused, if anyone would like to PM me on how I could them, that would be great!

Also, I am just beginning to study for the LSAT, and I wanted to take it in December, but I'm beginning to think that is nowhere near enough time to study for it. My only problem is that if I take it in Feb, it would not make sense for me to apply to Law Schools for this cycle. And I wanted to begin Law School in 2013. Would it be best to study as hard as I can for a month and take it in Dec, or just give myself a few more months and take it in Feb, knowing that I would be applying very late in the application cycle? Any opinions would be welcome. Keep in mind that I am taking 16 hours of classes to finish my undergrad in Dec, as I will have to be studying for my finals in Dec as well; so to say that I am a bit overwhelmed is an understatement.

Please forgive if this is a bit disjointed, I am typing quickly as I have somewhere to be. Thanks!

vegso
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby vegso » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 pm

You can get all the PTs on either LSAT blog's website, or through nefarious means if money's tight. Don't bother with RC guides at first unless you feel you need them after

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Honey_Badger wrote:
ThickaThanASnicka wrote:My dad is the type of person, that just because he is a lawyer, he thinks knows everything about the process, which is extremely annoying. He thinks even if I take it in feb I can still apply to schools for this cycle (he has this old school, you can do anything you put your mind to type of mindset). Anyway, but yeah, that's my situation. Think I will just take it in feb, and wait a year, no matter what he thinks.


Is dad paying for law school? Either way, it may behoove you to make an appointment with an admissions person at a nearby, somewhat reputable, law school. Take dad and present these scenarios so he can hear for himself the unlikely idea that you would be accepted at your school of choice, let alone receive scholarship money.

My thought is your family really needs to support you in this endeavor, so it might take some of the pressure off of you for him to hear it from someone else (and give him a clearer idea that school is not what it was 20+ years ago...)

Just an idea.


No he isn't paying for Law School, but he is paying for those expensive prep classes if I choose to take one, and all the apps for the schools.

You know, I think that is a great idea. Maybe him hearing it from an actual admissions officer will open his mind, because he just will not listen to me. The problem is not him supporting me, it's the fact, that he is so excited he's trying to convince me to rush everything, while I want to take it slow and make sure I get everything right, including great scores and financial aid $$. SMU is pretty close, so maybe taking him there will help open his mind. I really like your suggestion, I'm going to try it. Preciate it.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the encouragement ppl123. WIthin those 2 months, how many hours a day would you say that you studied?

Vegso, hmm nefarious means? I'm not quite opposed, so I'll do some research unto that.

Also, to anyone who wants to answer, how long did you all spend on learning the theories/strategies vs. actual PTs? Also, I read that accuracy is the first step in approaching the LSAT, does that mean going through problems untimed, and then once you master the theories begin to time yourself? I was just a little unclear about how long to spend mastering accuracy versus being able to answer the questions in a timely manner. To be honest, the time limit for the sections makes me the most nervous.

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby Jas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Sorry if this is a double-post:

Maybe just try to take a practice test? You never know, you might score high enough to begin with. I mean, study if you have to, but not everyone has to study the same amount of time to get the same score.

Also, why don't you just delay your UG graduation until spring? Is that possible? Spread out your classes. Being "so overwhelmed" is awful. Slow down, enjoy your life. If you don't learn how to do that, law school will be a nightmare.

ppl123
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ppl123 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

hmm...not much.... i would maybe do 2 sections of a test 3 days/week and then do 1 full test every week or 2... that being said...i was only PTing between 159 and 163.... if i had more time i likely would have done better. i feel like the key to the lsat is just doing tests over and over...you naturally figure out the pattern and then the test is no longer hard...the timing is what becomes hard.

so i would say i put in not very much time...maybe 8 hours per week... you will hear many people say that is not enough. but my goal was 160 and i was hitting is consistently, so with all considered, it worked for me... i would say it depends on your goal. im sure some 165 takers and 170 takers can weigh in also... but you've heard now from a 160 :) if that's your goal i think you can do it... put in more work than me. i would say 16 hours/week in 1 month is probably adequate for 1 month with a goal of 160.

also, this being said, i had been predisposed to the methods of the lsat. i took many logic courses as a philosophy major in uni... i already knew how to reason with symbols...and the general strategy for LR.... if you need any advice i am happy to help:)


ThickaThanASnicka wrote:Thanks for the encouragement ppl123. WIthin those 2 months, how many hours a day would you say that you studied?

Vegso, hmm nefarious means? I'm not quite opposed, so I'll do some research unto that.

Also, to anyone who wants to answer, how long did you all spend on learning the theories/strategies vs. actual PTs? Also, I read that accuracy is the first step in approaching the LSAT, does that mean going through problems untimed, and then once you master the theories begin to time yourself? I was just a little unclear about how long to spend mastering accuracy versus being able to answer the questions in a timely manner. To be honest, the time limit for the sections makes me the most nervous.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 pm


ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Jas wrote:Sorry if this is a double-post:

Maybe just try to take a practice test? You never know, you might score high enough to begin with. I mean, study if you have to, but not everyone has to study the same amount of time to get the same score.

Also, why don't you just delay your UG graduation until spring? Is that possible? Spread out your classes. Being "so overwhelmed" is awful. Slow down, enjoy your life. If you don't learn how to do that, law school will be a nightmare.


I think I'm going to take a practice test tomorrow with my friend, I have no idea how I will score or anything though lol. Thankfully, I know at least 3 people who are also trying to take the LSAT either in Dec/Feb, so I was going to try to create a study group.

Oh trust me, I actually thought about delaying grad until spring, but the 4 classes I'm taking now are all I need to finish both of my majors. So I would just be paying/taking courses that won't go towards anything, even though I could just take electives and boost my GPA, but that doesn't really make sense lol. Unfortunately, the classes I'm taking now are hard as fuck, my prof, who teaches 2 of my classes, recently told me that I shouldnt have taken them in the same semester because all of his students who did either got Ds/Fs FML. Oh well, only a month more....

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 pm

ThickaThanASnicka wrote:
Jas wrote:Sorry if this is a double-post:

Maybe just try to take a practice test? You never know, you might score high enough to begin with. I mean, study if you have to, but not everyone has to study the same amount of time to get the same score.

Also, why don't you just delay your UG graduation until spring? Is that possible? Spread out your classes. Being "so overwhelmed" is awful. Slow down, enjoy your life. If you don't learn how to do that, law school will be a nightmare.


I think I'm going to take a practice test tomorrow with my friend, I have no idea how I will score or anything though lol. Thankfully, I know at least 3 people who are also trying to take the LSAT either in Dec/Feb, so I was going to try to create a study group.

Oh trust me, I actually thought about delaying grad until spring, but the 4 classes I'm taking now are all I need to finish both of my majors. So I would just be paying/taking courses that won't go towards anything, even though I could just take electives and boost my GPA, but that doesn't really make sense lol. Unfortunately, the classes I'm taking now are hard as fuck, my prof, who teaches 2 of my classes, recently told me that I shouldnt have taken them in the same semester because all of his students who did either got Ds/Fs FML. Oh well, only a month more....

If you could move your GPA over your target schools' medians and your tuition is not too expensive it would make a ton of sense, since that would improve your chances of getting scholarship money.

ThickaThanASnicka
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Re: I'm so overwhelmed

Postby ThickaThanASnicka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm



"Don't Go to Law School (Unless)...." Interesting title. Is that supposed to be a reality check for people entering LS or something?

Lol ppl123, congrats on meeting your goal! I wish I had taking some logic classes in UG, seems helpful now. I haven't even looked at the games section yet, been focusing on the LR section for now. And I may just PM you, because I noticed some of my weakness in LR and not really sure how to fix it yet. I'll prob try to study 3-4 hours MWFSaSun or something...




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”