How much will applying late in the cycle hurt your chance?

getoverit

How much will applying late in the cycle hurt your chance?

Postby getoverit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:31 am

I assume some school will have a stronger preference for applying early than others. What is the concensus on "late penalty?" Is it real? How late is probably too late despite what the deadline says? Thanks in advance for your help!

carboncopyx

Re: How much will applying late in the cycle hurt your chance?

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:46 am

Michigan Dean of Admissions told me that whatever disadvantage comes from applying late will be made up for by the lack of volume in this year's application cycle. If there's any year in which the "late penalty" is at its most inconsequential, it's this year. That being said, a December LSAT administration with the rest of the app materials in by early January at the latest is probably a safe bet. I've heard of several people applying on the very last day (sometime in Feb) to Yale and getting in, though, so anything is possible as long as you have a good app.

tl;dr Earlier is better, but don't stress out too much over it this year.

Jas

Postby Jas » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

I applied late in 2009 - January? February? Got rejected or WL-ed all over. Applied early the next year with the same factors and I think it really made a difference. My first acceptance was from Michigan. I didn't have a chance to see where else I might have had luck though because I got into Chicago ED. Perhaps times have changed, but I would not wait if I were you.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm worried also. However... I heard last cycle schools were extending the period they accepted applications well past the deadlines...

That combined with the insane decrease in LSAT takers... I think we "late" applicants might b ok...

That being said, im take Dec, submitting my apps and retake in Feb for leverage... Fingers crossed... Hope it works!!

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Will the decrease in test takers also boost the chances of early applicants of getting into schools they would not have gotten into in past cycles?

lawyerdude

Postby lawyerdude » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:59 pm

I plan to have my materials ready so I could apply early January. I figure with that and the decreased applications this year, it'll be the equivalent of normalizing my submission timeframe.

getoverit

Postby getoverit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 am

Thank you guys for replying. and good luck, too!

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I applied haphazardly in March. I'm Canadian, so Canada was my focus. Still, I had a 177 and a 3.7. WListed or rejected across the board, except at NYU. Rejected at many lesser schools.

...try not to apply in March.

Got into the Canadian schools.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”