Improving from 155 to 160 in the next few weeks

cgood

Improving from 155 to 160 in the next few weeks

Postby cgood » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey all, I've been scoring around 154-158 on all my timed prep tests and was wondering what a good study plan or useful resources to use to get my score up at least 5 points. I've read the stickied thread at the top, it was very helpful.

I took the full Powerscore course, wrote the October LSAT (doubt I got over 158), and am now going through the Powerscore Bibles for Logic Games and Logical Reasoning.

Logic Games probably give me the most trouble. On a good day, I'll get through 3 games with 100% accuracy and then entirely guess the last game. I know I can definitely improve upon this, but what resources should I use to improve the most? I just finished the Logic Games Bible, while helpful, it didn't provide that many drills (I plan on going back and redoing them though).

My Logical Reasoning usually varies from 15-21 correct, so I'd like to improve that but it's not my biggest concern. Just started the Bible so hopefully that helps raise my average a bit.

Reading Comp I can never take seriously until I sit down and actually write the test. I normally get between 14-18 correct, but when the pressures on I seem to do much better and go about 17-21, so I'm not too worried about this section but I'll probably go through the Bible anyways.

TL;DR: I want to improve my score around 5 points for the December LSAT, currently am going through the Bibles and plan on writing a couple timed practice tests a week. Seeking advice to solidify my study plan or just resources/books that are useful.

CalAlumni

Re: Improving from 155 to 160 in the next few weeks

Postby CalAlumni » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:01 pm

cgood wrote:Hey all, I've been scoring around 154-158 on all my timed prep tests and was wondering what a good study plan or useful resources to use to get my score up at least 5 points. I've read the stickied thread at the top, it was very helpful.

I took the full Powerscore course, wrote the October LSAT (doubt I got over 158), and am now going through the Powerscore Bibles for Logic Games and Logical Reasoning.

Logic Games probably give me the most trouble. On a good day, I'll get through 3 games with 100% accuracy and then entirely guess the last game. I know I can definitely improve upon this, but what resources should I use to improve the most? I just finished the Logic Games Bible, while helpful, it didn't provide that many drills (I plan on going back and redoing them though).

My Logical Reasoning usually varies from 15-21 correct, so I'd like to improve that but it's not my biggest concern. Just started the Bible so hopefully that helps raise my average a bit.

Reading Comp I can never take seriously until I sit down and actually write the test. I normally get between 14-18 correct, but when the pressures on I seem to do much better and go about 17-21, so I'm not too worried about this section but I'll probably go through the Bible anyways.

TL;DR: I want to improve my score around 5 points for the December LSAT, currently am going through the Bibles and plan on writing a couple timed practice tests a week. Seeking advice to solidify my study plan or just resources/books that are useful.

You should do pithypikes logic games study guide to really fine tune your LG skills. As far as LR goes, plug your tests into LSATQA and see if there are certain types of problems you are consistently missing, then study up in the Manhattan/LRB and drill.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Here is how I went from -3 on LG to constant -0's:

I printed out the game sections for about 20 tests and put them in order. I then timed each game. After about 16/20 games, I went though each game and corrected it. I made a diagram of my times and score + game type. I noticed that Advanced Linear always took me the longest and I was more apt to get questions wrong on those than any other. So I went back and worked them out slowly. Figuring out what I missed and why I missed it.

I did this twice. After that, I would usually finish an LG section with 3-4 minutes to spare and usually getting -0 each time I took it. In fact, I got so fast at the easier games, when I took the Dinosaur PT, I had about 14 minutes to do that game.

Breezing through the easy ones and banking time for the eventual tougher game is essential. When you are finishing basic linear games in 4 minutes you're on the right track.

LG: I drilled by question type at first. I gathered about 20 LG sections and then color coded each question type. Then, I just drilled them. For me, this helped me the most with prephrasing because when you can look at 30 or so weaken questions in succession you start to notice the usual LSAT tricks and methods.

This little drill session I did above took me like a week or so... I'm not kidding when I say my PTs went from 164 range to the lower 170's in a matter of two weeks or so.

As for RC. There's a lot to be said about RC (I recommend Voyager guide if anything) but honestly, going back to Kindergarten seems to be the only way to really master RC. I'd focus on improving LG first (it's the easiest) then LR and if you're like me, improving on LR made RC easier because I became a better reader.

cgood

Postby cgood » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

dproduct wrote:Here is how I went from -3 on LG to constant -0's:

I printed out the game sections for about 20 tests and put them in order. I then timed each game. After about 16/20 games, I went though each game and corrected it. I made a diagram of my times and score + game type. I noticed that Advanced Linear always took me the longest and I was more apt to get questions wrong on those than any other. So I went back and worked them out slowly. Figuring out what I missed and why I missed it.

I did this twice. After that, I would usually finish an LG section with 3-4 minutes to spare and usually getting -0 each time I took it. In fact, I got so fast at the easier games, when I took the Dinosaur PT, I had about 14 minutes to do that game.

Breezing through the easy ones and banking time for the eventual tougher game is essential. When you are finishing basic linear games in 4 minutes you're on the right track.

Awesome idea, I'll give that a shot! It would probably be wise to use old LSATs, so I still have some newer, more relevant ones to use as timed practice tests.

dproduct wrote:LG: I drilled by question type at first. I gathered about 20 LG sections and then color coded each question type. Then, I just drilled them. For me, this helped me the most with prephrasing because when you can look at 30 or so weaken questions in succession you start to notice the usual LSAT tricks and methods.

I'm guessing you meant LR and not LG lol, so you'd flip through each section doing a specific color-coded type of question, going through all the sections for that type of question, and then move on to the next type of question? Sounds like a good way to hammer the concept into your brain lol, I'll give that shot.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

cgood wrote:
dproduct wrote:Here is how I went from -3 on LG to constant -0's:

Awesome idea, I'll give that a shot! It would probably be wise to use old LSATs, so I still have some newer, more relevant ones to use as timed practice tests.

dproduct wrote:LG: I drilled by question type at first. I gathered about 20 LG sections and then color coded each question type. Then, I just drilled them. For me, this helped me the most with prephrasing because when you can look at 30 or so weaken questions in succession you start to notice the usual LSAT tricks and methods.

I'm guessing you meant LR and not LG lol, so you'd flip through each section doing a specific color-coded type of question, going through all the sections for that type of question, and then move on to the next type of question? Sounds like a good way to hammer the concept into your brain lol, I'll give that shot.

Yeah, Good catch on that (sorry, score comes out in a few days I'm dealing with mashed pataterz brains...).

For me, the Bibles were great, to a point. Personally, I need to experience something to understand it. Once I did the above drills, I went back and read through the Bibles (especially in my trouble areas) and it completely made sense.

I definitely recommend using the really early tests for the above drills so you don't master the recent tests without having a chance to take a full timed PT with them.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”