Am I alone in this boat?

Lear22

Am I alone in this boat?

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm trying, I'm really trying, but I just can seem to get my head in the game and prep for dec before I see my score. Although I am not too hopeful (bad LG that I think is real one and not the X in my Sabbath observers' exam) I just can't sit down and do prep like I did for Oct. I had such momentum before the Oct exam and could bust hour a day of prep with no problem. Now I try and do games that I did with ease a few weeks ago and it's not coming, plus I feel like I don't really want to do it.

I am wondering if I am alone here or other Oct test takers feel the same? In my head, I was ready to do prep a few days after the exam (as I left the testing center feeling pretty bad) but when it comes down to actually sit and do work, my mind is not there although I very well know there's a good shot I'm sitting for the Dec test regardless (plus I'm already registered).

What do you think I should do? Just let it go and wait for the score to come out and then attempt to stat 'fresh'? Any advice from other Oct test takers that are/were in the same situation would be helpful. I tried talking about it with my friends but it seems like 'outsiders' ( 8) ) just don't get it.

sorry for the long post! I guess I'm also trying to vent out these feelings. I hate that this test consumed my life like this!

jared6180

Re: Am I alone in this boat?

Postby jared6180 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I was doing well studying for the Oct LSAT and got burnt out two weeks before and just stopped, didn't take the Oct, and now just started to get motivated for Dec. I know I have to do it, but having trouble keeping my mind right to get it done. The ONLY reason I have any motivation now is because I gave myself some time to relax.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 pm

jared6180 wrote:I was doing well studying for the Oct LSAT and got burnt out two weeks before and just stopped, didn't take the Oct, and now just started to get motivated for Dec. I know I have to do it, but having trouble keeping my mind right to get it done. The ONLY reason I have any motivation now is because I gave myself some time to relax.

I had a close case of burning out the last week before the exam and was able to catch myself in time. It just annoys/freaks me out that I can't get my head to just sit and do prep like I have done for hours a day before Oct.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I haven't done anything LSAT related since the October test and I don't intend to. I felt the same way after June. I'm mentally prepared to retake, I know what I'm going to do/how I'm going to approach things but for now I'm just waiting and relaxing as much as I can. If I have to retake it's right back to all LSAT all the time so I'll take a few weeks to relax if I can. After June I took a PT after I got my score back after not having done anything and I scored 3 points higher than I had on any previous test so now I'm a huge advocate for taking a break.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

I started back up after the Oct administration. The thing that got me in the zone was sitting down and taking a section. Once I set the timer, my mind snapped into focus mode. I keep track of my PT performance, and don't want some shit score messing up my average.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:16 pm

If I have to retake I'm going to jump in front of a bus.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Psib337 wrote:I haven't done anything LSAT related since the October test and I don't intend to. I felt the same way after June. I'm mentally prepared to retake, I know what I'm going to do/how I'm going to approach things but for now I'm just waiting and relaxing as much as I can. If I have to retake it's right back to all LSAT all the time so I'll take a few weeks to relax if I can. After June I took a PT after I got my score back after not having done anything and I scored 3 points higher than I had on any previous test so now I'm a huge advocate for taking a break.

I think the difference here is that the gap in time between the June-oct and oct-dec is much slimmer.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Lear22 wrote:
Psib337 wrote:I haven't done anything LSAT related since the October test and I don't intend to. I felt the same way after June. I'm mentally prepared to retake, I know what I'm going to do/how I'm going to approach things but for now I'm just waiting and relaxing as much as I can. If I have to retake it's right back to all LSAT all the time so I'll take a few weeks to relax if I can. After June I took a PT after I got my score back after not having done anything and I scored 3 points higher than I had on any previous test so now I'm a huge advocate for taking a break.

I think the difference here is that the gap in time between the June-oct and oct-dec is much slimmer.

It's slimmer but for retaking you're not learning the test, I feel like you're changing your approach or going over something you missed or didn't fully understand the first time. Obviously I wouldn't recommend anyone start studying now or next week for December if they'd never seen the test before.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Psib337 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

It's slimmer but for retaking you're not learning the test, I feel like you're changing your approach or going over something you missed or didn't fully understand the first time. Obviously I wouldn't recommend anyone start studying now or next week for December if they'd never seen the test before.

I agree. That's why I am annoyed by the fact that I will NEVER know what I missed, what section went well and which was worse. All because my exam is not disclosed.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Lear22 wrote:
Psib337 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

I agree. That's why I am annoyed by the fact that I will NEVER know what I missed, what section went well and which was worse. All because my exam is not disclosed.

What test isn't disclosed? And you could probably look at your old PTs. I know people tend to do worse on the actual thing, I did, but the things I got wrong were things I had been getting wrong on PTs

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:37 pm

I think the difference here is that the gap in time between the June-oct and oct-dec is much slimmer.[/quote]

It's slimmer but for retaking you're not learning the test, I feel like you're changing your approach or going over something you missed or didn't fully understand the first time. Obviously I wouldn't recommend anyone start studying now or next week for December if they'd never seen the test before.[/quote]

I agree. That's why I am annoyed by the fact that I will NEVER know what I missed, what section went well and which was worse. All because my exam is not disclosed.[/quote]

What test isn't disclosed? And you could probably look at your old PTs. I know people tend to do worse on the actual thing, I did, but the things I got wrong were things I had been getting wrong on PTs[/quote]

The Saturday observers' LSAT is not disclosed. The only thing you get is score and percentile.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm

The Saturday observers' LSAT is not disclosed. The only thing you get is score and percentile.

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:If I have to retake I'm going to jump in front of a bus.

What score would make you retake?

To the OP, I'm in the same boat. The way I motivated myself at the start was that I didn't do my best on October so I would retake no matter what. That worked in prepping until homework started swallowing me alive.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Clarity wrote:

To the OP, I'm in the same boat. The way I motivated myself at the start was that I didn't do my best on October so I would retake no matter what. That worked in prepping until homework started swallowing me alive.

I full out know that it's over 90% chance I'll retake but it's like I can get myself mobilized and motivated because I don't know the score and have nothing burning inside me saying this must get done. I feel that doing prep when you're 'not really into it', especially after you know the exam front to back and have done SO MUCH prep like so many of us here is not really helpful and sometimes more destructive than not doing any at all..

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm in the same boat. Can't get myself to study for December until I get my October score back.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Clarity wrote:

Eh... I'd probably stand pat on 172. I would send in apps with a 171 but still retake.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Clarity wrote:

Eh... I'd probably stand pat on 172. I would send in apps with a 171 but still retake.

nice. I expect lower than that. I actually hope I will find the strength to go through this again if my score will be okay for me to apply with, but I will know I can get it up by a few points.. I think that's much harder route mentally than if you tank and realize it's retake or nothing

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:02 pm

rehsalt

Postby rehsalt » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 pm

I feel for you, man. I am not in the same boat because I decided not to retake the test regardless of my score. In June I got a decent score that, although upsetting for me, is something I can apply with.

But I would suggest that you wait until the scores come out and see how you are feeling then. In my experience it is extremely difficult to motivate yourself before you know your score. Even though you will not get to see the test, if you actually got a poor score that could allow you to focus on what needs to be improved. There are some specific steps for retakers who were already scoring well that I would recommend. However it will be very hard to concentrate on improving things that you are not absolutely certain need to be improved.

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 am

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 pm

rehsalt wrote:I feel for you, man. I am not in the same boat because I decided not to retake the test regardless of my score. In June I got a decent score that, although upsetting for me, is something I can apply with.

But I would suggest that you wait until the scores come out and see how you are feeling then. In my experience it is extremely difficult to motivate yourself before you know your score. Even though you will not get to see the test, if you actually got a poor score that could allow you to focus on what needs to be improved. There are some specific steps for retakers who were already scoring well that I would recommend. However it will be very hard to concentrate on improving things that you are not absolutely certain need to be improved.

I'm really hoping for a score release tomorrow. I think it will be the only thing that will shake me off this stage.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 am

Make sure to change the title of your study guide first. Then I'll join you; just have to figure out which bu line in D.C. runs the fastest and where.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am

RCinDNA wrote:

Make sure to change the title of your study guide first. Then I'll join you; just have to figure out which bu line in D.C. runs the fastest and where.

Would have been cooler all along to title the thread "NoodleyOne's Guide to a 180 on PTs for Retakers"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”